Uconn and Boise who is in better position for Conference Realignment | The Boneyard

Uconn and Boise who is in better position for Conference Realignment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Since there isn't much going on thought I would start something up... see if anyone bothers. Between the two who gets into a P5 conference first?

Boise has some good football going on. But there academics are comparable to a Animal college and I don't think the Pac 12 will ever be desperate enough for sports only teams like the ACC was for Louisville. I kind of think the same thing with the Big 12 concerning them. So are they totally screwed?

As for Uconn we all know they have limited friends in the ACC and the Big 1o is uncertain......Both are kind of stuck but for difference reasons.

Boise St lets cats in there college that can talk and we cant make friends at all.....

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Best bet and what should've happened:

The top teams from the MWC and AAC merge into a 14 or 16 team league.

-Nearly assures the league of getting the "Access bowl" every season.
- You can minimize travel in Olympic sports by mainly playing with the 6 or 7 teams in your division.
- Better overall basketball as far as NCAAT are concerned. Most years that is a 6 bid league.

East (7): UConn, Cinci, UCF, USF, Temple, Memphis, ECU

West (7): Houston, SMU, Boise State, UNLV, San Diego State, Fresno State, New Mexico

Teams left out: Tulane, Tulsa, Navy, Air Force, Colorado State, Hawaii, Nevada, Wyoming, San Jose State and Utah State.

Reaction Score
L'ville was an abberation UConn's easily the next move for anyone P5 esp east of the Mississippi.The Big12 would be wise to create interest in the NE megalopolis and give WV an eastern college partner! Imagine how fast the Big12 could pass the ACC with Texas and NY in their viewership?Maybe add a Houston or even a Temple to bulk up an eastern division?

Reaction Score
UConn is definitely in a better position. Larger fan base, larger TV market, better facilities, better academics and better at every sport except football. Boise's football team is not as strong as in the recent past and I expect UConn's to improve so the gap that currently exists between the two in football could narrow significantly.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Best bet and what should've happened:

The top teams from the MWC and AAC merge into a 14 or 16 team league.

-Nearly assures the league of getting the "Access bowl" every season.
- You can minimize travel in Olympic sports by mainly playing with the 6 or 7 teams in your division.
- Better overall basketball as far as NCAAT are concerned. Most years that is a 6 bid league.

East (7): UConn, Cinci, UCF, USF, Temple, Memphis, ECU

West (7): Houston, SMU, Boise State, UNLV, San Diego State, Fresno State, New Mexico

Teams left out: Tulane, Tulsa, Navy, Air Force, Colorado State, Hawaii, Nevada, Wyoming, San Jose State and Utah State.

You leave Nevada out and im kicking your ass.
Signed, long time Nevada resident and season ticket holder.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
As a) theoretically we have two potential P-5 destnations (B1G; ACC) while Boise St only has the P-12 and b) we would not be an academic risk to any P-5 conference while Boise St, as little more than a glorified community college may be at a stature that even the SEC might snub, I'd say we are far closer than they are.

Reaction Score
I like Nevada and think they have unlimited potential.How was their recruiting class this yr? Then again I like Temple too but what do I know ?

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
I like Nevada and think they have unlimited potential.How was their recruiting class this yr? Then again I like Temple too but what do I know ?
The signed 27 kids and, as most schools, are saying its their best ever. There may be some credence to it as Polian seems to be doing a great job selling the program and they have had some pretty sustained success over the past few years. A handful of the kids had decent BCS offers which is unusual for Nevada so hopefully it turns out well.

Reaction Score
The signed 27 kids and, as most schools, are saying its their best ever. There may be some credence to it as Polian seems to be doing a great job selling the program and they have had some pretty sustained success over the past few years. A handful of the kids had decent BCS offers which is unusual for Nevada so hopefully it turns out well.
I think I'll look it up as I see Temple had a pretty decent class too at #59 on r@vals I think?Anything above 65 is pretty good for teams looking to upgrade there status!

Reaction Score

Nevada generates pennies for revenue. It doesn't matter how many kids they sign or if they rename themselves Kaepernick U. I wish they did make more money. It would be a heck of alot easier to make a national 12 team conference with symmetrical east and west divisions.

They don't generate enough revenue.

Until that changes, just keep repeating that to yourself.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
If a merging of the two conferences ever came to pass, Nevada would likely be the first school excluded. It's the smallest athletic department in the MWC and probably $10M shy of even Tulane's year budget.

But...the two conferences are never going to merge, so that's not a concern.

Reaction Score
I think I'll look it up as I see Temple had a pretty decent class too at #59 on r@vals I think?Anything above 65 is pretty good for teams looking to upgrade there status!

Recruiting class rankings are shifty IMO. Ask Florida how last year's ranking worked out for them. All those sites care about is quantity and how many (subjective) stars a recruit has.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Nevada generates pennies for revenue. It doesn't matter how many kids they sign or if they rename themselves Kaepernick U. I wish they did make more money. It would be a heck of alot easier to make a national 12 team conference with symmetrical east and west divisions.

Until that changes, just keep repeating that to yourself.
Ok, now I want to kick your ass too. No love for Nevada even though they just hired a UCONN alum as AD have a UCONN alum as the head of the board of regents and have UCONN alum CAHUSKY as a season ticket holder? Sadly, UCONN doesn't seem to generate enough revenue either so i guess im just screwed all the way around.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Ok, now I want to kick your ass too. No love for Nevada even though they just hired a UCONN alum as AD have a UCONN alum as the head of the board of regents and have UCONN alum CAHUSKY as a season ticket holder? Sadly, UCONN doesn't seem to generate enough revenue either so i guess im just screwed all the way around.

We generate more revenue than half the schools in the P5. I was pretty bullish on Nevada until Fishy posted their figures.

Reaction Score
If a merging of the two conferences ever came to pass, Nevada would likely be the first school excluded. It's the smallest athletic department in the MWC and probably $10M shy of even Tulane's year budget.

It would be a good way to go if there were six strong g5 programs in both the east and the west. It would easily stand out and would garner attention.

But since there isn't it would just look like a more geographically dispersed AAC.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

-Next year we're going to be in a league with Tulane.
-Creighton, from Nebraska, is in the Big East.
-And Rutgers is in the Big 10.

Never say never!

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
-Next year we're going to be in a league with Tulane.
-Creighton, from Nebraska, is in the Big East.
-And Rutgers is in the Big 10.

Never say never!

I didn't say it shouldn't happen, I just said it's not happening.

It would be far, far better than what we have now.

The only quibble I would have with your plan is that Colorado State would not be excluded, so you either have to find a way to 16 or find someone else to bump from the West.

Comically, I think Tulane is the answer to the problem.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Sadly, UCONN doesn't seem to generate enough revenue either so i guess im just screwed all the way around.

Forget UConn at $65-70M, Nevada's athletic budget is on a par with Towson and William and Mary....and about 15% lower than New Hampshire's.

It is what it is.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Forget UConn at $65-70M, Nevada's athletic budget is on a par with Towson and William and Mary....and about 15% lower than New Hampshire's.

It is what it is.
I realize that. Im just messing with him because he doesn't seem to have a sense of humor. Clearly I understand why Nevada is an also ran in realignment and justifying their inclusion based on their AD, their board of regents and my fandom was tongue in cheek.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Nevada hasn't done badly in realignment - the Mountain West, as currently configured, is an aspirational conference for a department the size of Nevada's.

I'd argue that they're one of the winners...they are basically at the same table as UConn.

Reaction Score
In regards to the OP. I don't think it matters who is better postured since we're really not in competition for the same theoretical spot. And honestly I don't the the BIG 12 is interested in either school.

Reaction Score
I don't see Boise and UCONN to be competing at all. The real competitors, to me, are UCF, USF, and Cincy. I don't see the B1G going for any of those 3 schools, but I can see the BIG12 doing it. It all depends on where the next domino falls. If OK or TX were to join B1G, then there's no room for UCONN there. Then, it's BIG12 picking, and despite UCONN's merits, it'd be hard to see them going there. If ACC gets raided or needs a partner should ND want to go full partner, then it depends on Cincy v UCONN, and I think that's where athletic performance over the next 5 years is critical. If either program should stumble, it could be devastating realignment-wise.

Reaction Score
I don't see Boise and UCONN to be competing at all. The real competitors, to me, are UCF, USF, and Cincy. I don't see the B1G going for any of those 3 schools, but I can see the BIG12 doing it. It all depends on where the next domino falls. If OK or TX were to join B1G, then there's no room for UCONN there. Then, it's BIG12 picking, and despite UCONN's merits, it'd be hard to see them going there. If ACC gets raided or needs a partner should ND want to go full partner, then it depends on Cincy v UCONN, and I think that's where athletic performance over the next 5 years is critical. If either program should stumble, it could be devastating realignment-wise.

This is why I don't want this to happen too soon. We need some time to regenerate the football program and put some space between some of the flys in our ointment. If the ACC wanted to expand now, then things might not work out in our favor again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom