UCF Postgame Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UCF Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UCF exposed our offense....defense was mostly good, and thank you Azzi Fudd and Christyn Williams. Paige's time away showed. We missed way too many bunnies.
Our bigs were not good today ! Too many missed layups and too many fowls ! Geno all these years of coaching and our guards still can't bring the ball up court. Why do they keep picking up dribble ??? Not a very good game . Thank you Azzi !

Reaction Score
Whew! What a sweat. Think they’ll use the week to practice layups and free throws?That offensive foul call on CW was horrid at such a critical time. Surprised Nika and Ducharme got so little time. Ball moved best when they were in. First 1/4 I kept waiting for the “2nd team” to come in. Hope Geno rethinks which players get the most time, except Paige and Azzi of course.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
That foul call on what should have been an illegal screen was god-awful.
I almost put that in my OP. They had just called a questionable illegal screen on Liv for her 5th foul and then with the UCF player spreading her legs wide out to trip Christyn, unbelievably they called a foul on Christyn. Fortunately it did not affect the outcome of the game.

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the UCF game:
  • WOW!!! I'm completely exhausted and I didn't play a minute.
  • I was really worried about UCF ahead of tonight's game. Unlike past UCF teams, this year’s version is longer, more athletic, and more experienced than any Black Knight team UConn ever faced back in the AAC days.
  • UConn clearly felt the pressure from the start of the game, getting sped up, turning the ball over, and missing an extraordinary number of layups.
  • This game was always going to be won on defense, and from the second quarter on UConn dug down deep and really stepped up their defensive effort, holding UCF to 47 points. The Huskies blocked 9 shots, forced numerous charging calls and turned the Black Knights over 20 times.
  • While UCF is a very good team, they still employ their infamous “HACK A HUSKY” defense. UConn benefitted to the tune of 8 more made FT’s.
  • Some really big shots in the 4th qtr from Azzi, Christyn & Paige helped the Huskies hold on to this one by their fingernails, with Christyn & Azzi icing it with 4 clutch FT's.
  • For those who keep track of these things, with the win tonight, UConn has qualified for the Sweet 16 for the 28th straight time….Ho hum…..;)
  • NOTE TO BONEYARD: I’ll be at the games in Bridgeport next weekend, so thanks in advance for someone else initiating the postgame thread. If UConn makes it to the FF, I’ll be back on the job in 2 weeks.
Did anyone on UCF stay to shake hands? Did the coaches talk to each other? hard to tell on TV....

Reaction Score
Another night of an ugly chat room. What a disgrace some of the comments were.

These are young women playing a GAME. I see so many people saying they’re like daughters to them. Doesn’t seem that way in close games.

That being said it was a game dictated by defense, poor shooting and bad officiating.

A win is a win. NEXT!
I avoid the chat room altogether.

Reaction Score
I will be at Bridgeport too, and I sincerely hope we never play like this again. There were just so many missed layups, turnovers, bad passes, and bad fouls that we were very lucky to get out of this alive. If UCF shot even at an average clip from the FT line, we were done. Our defense won this game for us but the nervousness was very apparent. I realize that they are a very physical and difficult team to play but you have to get beyond that as a team to have a chance at Number 12. Real tough game to watch. We will need a lot of poise and composure against Indiana and a lot more movement on offense. There did not appear to be a lot of confidence out there tonight but maybe this kind of a grind it out win will help us on Saturday. I really hope so.

Reaction Score
This game was a slugfest, but congrats to UConn for pushing through physically and mentally.

Also, this game is a great example of why young players should practice layups and putbacks until they can make them blindfolded

Reaction Score
Will watch game again tomorrow and try to understand why Geno didn't play Muhl more. Granted, Muhl was out of control on her two quick fouls, but Paige needs some rest and wasn't playing at full speed. I felt UConn was playing like the best team in the country at the end of the year. Having Paige add to the teams's success made them an unbeatable team - playing most of the game, Paige at times looked a half step slow. Understand the decision to start Paige. Not giving her much rest, not so much.

Reaction Score
I thought we could win the title this year, yes it’s survive and advance so I’m happy with a one point win if that’s the case. This team makes poor decisions passing the ball and misses way too many layups and free throws to beat the likes of say Stanford. I love this team and want it badly for them, but I don’t think they are good enough in too many areas. They also lack the basketball IQ of most UConn teams. This will end badly like last year. I feel sorryfor the seniors because I can see how badly they want it. The main reason I know is they way they played tonight after the way last year ended and their lack of focus tonight. ONO fouled out, Evina was a no show and CW while not playing all that bad in the end, made a lot of poor decisions and was too laid back for the situation. They just don’t have what it takes and if they’re waiting on PB, she obviously isn’t right yet. Ughh this realization makes me sick to my stomach because I honestly thought we were gonna get pay back on everyone because we’ve been down this year and the commentators have been kicking us while we’ve been down, but I’m a realist, I’m gonna just enjoy the ride, but I know in my heart we won’t win it this year.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Many of you here are on the refs, and perhaps rightly. But that was a tough game for officials guys. Literally, they could have called a foul on every play. There were questionable and missed calls on both sides. In the end UCF was called for 24 fouls, UConn 21, so I really fail to see any bias there. Now, some may have been uncalled for, some not, but in the end, the calls favored neither team. I would say the officiating was equally inept. So let's move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom