UCF Postgame Thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UCF Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
NOTE to posters: Use of the word “thug” is cause for a time out until the season is over. Don’t do it
I was hoping you'd say something. I was shocked again by the trashing. And then some posters defending the vitriol, saying " this is what the chat is for". Call me crazy but encouragement and optimism are allowed.

Reaction Score
I'm a huge fan of Geno, but didn't understand his lineup tonight. Paige no help in scoring, looked weak on passes and dribbling ...Muele came in and played great...never saw her again! Caroline? absent....Odd combinations. Refs were terrible both ways. All the stops in the game-commercial breaks were weird. I hope we don't see UCF again for a loooooong time! I also just texted someone at the game to see if they saw the coaches shake hands. UCF=no class! We had to look at their coach sooooo much on TV. ugh...

Reaction Score
Whew! What a sweat. Think they’ll use the week to practice layups and free throws?That offensive foul call on CW was horrid at such a critical time. Surprised Nika and Ducharme got so little time. Ball moved best when they were in. First 1/4 I kept waiting for the “2nd team” to come in. Hope Geno rethinks which players get the most time, except Paige and Azzi of course.
Free throws...they shot 18-23 (78.3%) for the game. That is waaaay better than their season average (68%). If they had shot their season average, they'd lost.

Reaction Score
Geno has always said you need defense to win that game where you shoot terribly. That was this game, with some credit to the ucf defense. Their pressure on the ball was relentless

Their strategy has been to be overly physical for years. It was a tough draw for Uconn but thankfully they got the win. Hopefully more traditional basketball is to come.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
whatever that was that UCF played was not real basketball, easily the worst game I have had to watch.
Also in the future, if a certain user could stop wishing players injuries on the opposing team would be appreciated if you kept that to yourself.

I wish UConn played half as hard as the Knights.

Reaction Score
Things to love:
1. The fans/crowd/atmosphere.
2. clutch FTs by Christyn and Azzi
3. Timely charges by AE
4. No one getting injured

UCF is a tough team and while they are physical, these types of games provide important experience/ learning tools for UCONN. There were a lot of interesting calls but then again...i'm not the one being paid to referee ;)

ps. anyone remember the sportsmanship displayed during the Uconn/Iowa game last year??? I miss that.

"In a world where you can be anything...be KIND"

Reaction Score
These are the types of games that we have been losing so it's a great feeling to win one.
Our offense which is motion and passing is not effective against big, quick defensive minded teams ( that also hack on every play)
Why? Because we give the ball to our bigs on top, who have nothing else to do with it but try to get it back to a guard. We either turn it over, take a late shot clock shot, travel, etc.
The option should be spread the floor and let Azzi, Paige, or CW make a one-on-one move.

Reaction Score
Cheap shot. They did indeed call the fouling out on both players. With all the action going on, they weren’t obligated to repeat that information.
Did they ever explain what happened when Paige took a throat punch? No. When they got back from commercial, UCF was taking it out from under our basket. No one heard any whistles from the previous full court play.

Reaction Score
The key to uconn's superb defensive performance was the play of our bigs who shut down their scorers. And they fouled out on some pretty questionable calls. Our guards were just average on D, by comparison

Reaction Score
Did they ever explain what happened when Paige took a throat punch? No. When they got back from commercial, UCF was taking it out from under our basket. No one heard any whistles from the previous full court play.
They called a foul on Battles

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Just a note from history fellow fans. I was at a 3rd round game in 2004 when we played the 11 seed UC Santa Barbara. I thought we would clobber them. It was physical and contentious throughout. We survived that game by a mere 8 points 63-55. The lowest total in the Tourney by us that year. We went on to win it all and never had a margin that close (Including beating TENN in the final game). NOT saying that is what's going to happen this year, but don't be freaked out that we had a close game. It happens to the best of them.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
So the four guards who saw the most minutes shot 11-33 overall, 5-17 from 3, had 3 assists and 6 TOs but the player Auriemma called several times the “leader” of the team and the catalyst to quick, intense starts to games never saw the court in the 2nd half, never mind Ducharme also being benched for the 2nd half. They won but were very ripe for the picking, the game was really decided on the foul line. The advantage Uconn had with their depth has seemingly been abandoned and IMO Auriemma committed a cardinal sin of coaching, don’t fix what isn’t broken.
I won't go as far as littlemin
And I didn't slep at a Holiday Inn Express last night
And I haven't won x amount of Championships

But I wasn't in love with the rotations
We all knew when Paige came back, someone would have to sit
Whatever....

Maybe Lttlemin's explanation is spot on.

Reaction Score
I’ve never seen so many missed layups in one game . Dorka and Caroline missed all of their layups! Quick teams like ucf are not a good match up for UConn.
This HAS happened before. It is a lack of poise. The game would not have been close if we had made the bunnies. UCF would have been forced to collapse in and open our 3 pointers.

Reaction Score
maybe someone can help me out here what kind of defense does Edwards plays she comes out to the top of the free throw line than comes off her person and goes under the basket leaving that person wide open and a passing lane to the basket ? Imo Nika should have played more our guards were getting tripled team and someone has to be open under the basket you would think I think she handles the press better ..Ugly ugly game glad we won .. but geez we missed probably 10 easy bunnies .. Team played hard just missed too many easy shots .. And Azzi love her shooting but geez some of her passes are head scratchers ..

Reaction Score
Many of you here are on the refs, and perhaps rightly. But that was a tough game for officials guys. Literally, they could have called a foul on every play. There were questionable and missed calls on both sides. In the end UCF was called for 24 fouls, UConn 21, so I really fail to see any bias there. Now, some may have been uncalled for, some not, but in the end, the calls favored neither team. I would say the officiating was equally inept. So let's move on.
It was a bias against a team that was the issue. It was that they allowed egregious fouls to go uncalled. No game will ever be perfectly officiated, but protecting the players should be priority number 1 and that was not the case tonight. UCF plays very physically (as does UConn at times) and that can be dangerous. Don’t make excuses for the officials if you’re not willing be to protect the players.

Reaction Score
Any old Coach will tell you whether you win by one or thirty a win is a win.
Yes the bigs missed a ton of easy shots….
But this particular team is an alley fight type of team and we are better off getting this early challenge and the win.
We will be better next game.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Lots of people apparently don't want UConn to play as hard as UCF. lol

Betting Geno disagrees.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors