U19 WC USA vs Spain 1:15 PM Saturday - YouTube Link | Page 4 | The Boneyard

U19 WC USA vs Spain 1:15 PM Saturday - YouTube Link

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Empty house at Chekhov. Guess the Russians have all been conscripted to fight Ukraine.

Reaction Score
I saw a potential superstar. She needs to get stronger but the pieces are there to be a terrific player.

Exactly. I thought she looked tremendous.

She looks/appears she plays physical inside. And athletic enough to block shots. Made some beautiful passes- one in particular. Showed terrific coast-to-coast handle. And we've already seen last year she can score in the post.

Reaction Score
How did this year's top incoming recruits (and CD next year) perform in the U19 game? Hmmm, let's see...

- Salvadores (Dook)-----28+ minutes, 9 points, 4 assists, 7 turnovers.....grade C+
- Patberg (ND)-----------13 minutes, 0 points, 2 assists, 5 rebounds,3 steals, 7 turnovers....grade C
- Collier (UConn)--------25+ minutes, 13 points,5 assists, 14 rebounds,3 steals, 0 turnovers....grade A+
- Dangerfield(UConn)---18+ minutes, 8 points, 3 assists, 2 steals, 0 turnovers....grade A-

-For her age, Napheesa Collier is one of the best all-around players I've ever seen. Great energy and versatility. With the benefit of Geno and CD's coaching... lordy, lordy. lordy.
-As the youngest, littlest, quickest kid on the court, Dangerfield reminds me of a Mo-in-training and really does have the potential to ease the pain of Moriah's graduation:( next year.

-Just one game, but it served to reinforce what was seen in the exhibition game in Spain a few days ago.
I just do not see how Geno is going to be able to sit Napheesa Collier on the bench for very long. When she tightens up her game to Geno's standards, man, oh man!

- Looks like UConn got the best of this bunch.
Lets be real here. IF Salvadores was on US her numbers would be very good.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Too many missed layups and free throws. Too many sloppy passes out of double team. And some hideous shot selection at times; other times some good assists. Work yet to do, for sure.

This was my first look at the real Danger. She's going to be a treat as a Husky.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
3,000 fans to watch the Russia vs Taiwan game, which they won.

Empty house at Chekhov. Guess the Russians have all been conscripted to fight Ukraine.

Reaction Score
How did this year's top incoming recruits (and CD next year) perform in the U19 game? Hmmm, let's see...

- Salvadores (Dook)-----28+ minutes, 9 points, 4 assists, 7 turnovers.....grade C+
- Patberg (ND)-----------13 minutes, 0 points, 2 assists, 5 rebounds,3 steals, 7 turnovers....grade C
- Collier (UConn)--------25+ minutes, 13 points,5 assists, 14 rebounds,3 steals, 0 turnovers....grade A+
- Dangerfield(UConn)---18+ minutes, 8 points, 3 assists, 2 steals, 0 turnovers....grade A-

-For her age, Napheesa Collier is one of the best all-around players I've ever seen. Great energy and versatility. With the benefit of Geno and CD's coaching... lordy, lordy. lordy.
-As the youngest, littlest, quickest kid on the court, Dangerfield reminds me of a Mo-in-training and really does have the potential to ease the pain of Moriah's graduation:( next year.

-Just one game, but it served to reinforce what was seen in the exhibition game in Spain a few days ago.
I just do not see how Geno is going to be able to sit Napheesa Collier on the bench for very long. When she tightens up her game to Geno's standards, man, oh man!

- Looks like UConn got the best of this bunch.
You sure Geno is giving his future point guard an A- with missing half of their "double digit" free throws while also shooting 33% from the field? Oh wow I can do it too :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Shakayla Thomas is sort of fun to watch, I suppose. Another one of those 5'11" athletic forward types a la Gabby.

edit: I don't think she has the same level of effectiveness shooting the basketball at point blank range that Gabby has, but there's plenty of that fun leapy stuff. :)

In terms of pure athleticism, I thought Shakayla Thomas was head and shoulders above the rest. At times a little out of control, but just an incredible athlete.

Reaction Score
You sure Geno is giving his future point guard an A- with missing half of their "double digit" free throws while also shooting 33% from the field? Oh wow I can do it too :rolleyes:

Geno would not like that kind of shooting at all, but 7 turnovers (by Salvadores) would get one of his players glued to the bench. Or a bus ride from McCallie. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
In terms of pure athleticism, I thought Shakayla Thomas was head and shoulders above the rest. At times a little out of control, but just an incredible athlete.

Spoken like a true SEC - er Tennessee fan! ;)

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
I don't know that she'll start but she's going to play a lot of minutes for the reasons you mentioned. She's much longer than Faris and a better scorer but, like Faris, her motor is always running and she's relentless in her pursuit of the ball. Great teammate too.

that sounds pretty nice. from these type of comments, i picture her as our own Catch. i think she's even gonna wear 24. sweet.

Reaction Score
Basically, you look at Napheesa's slender frame and figure she must be some sort of dainty finesse player. But then you see her play, and she's like an animal close to the basket, with offensive rebounds, running for loose balls, etc.

But then she rounds it up with decent outside shooting (maybe on the level of Tuck, i.e. good enough to keep the opponent honest), good passing, selflessness, and so forth.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
VERY VERY Impressed with Collie. I havent seen much of Butler game but if I'm Geno day 1 starters are Mo, Kia, Collier, Stewie, Tuck. Collier is a do everything wing that will flourish an Uconn system. I see a lot of Kelly Faris in her.
UCONN does not do Collies-Huskies exclusively. Collier's trade marked nick name is The Pheenom-please use it. I like the versatility of your proposed starting five. The starters will work itself out somehow the only real question is how deep will the rotation go 7 ( your proposed starters + Butler & KLS) or 8 ( ...+ Boykin) or 9 (....+ Chong) or 10 ( .... + Courtney). I am betting on 9 for the regular season and 8 by final 4.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
UCONN does not do Collies-Huskies exclusively. Collier's trade marked nick name is The Pheenom-please use it. .

Or he can do like I do. Since UCONN isnt my team..... I refer to their players by their real names.... with the exception of KML. I'll leave the nicknames to you Husky fans. I think nicknames for players are kinda silly myself.... but if the kids like it... then i guess its ok.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Or he can do like I do. Since UCONN isnt my team..... I refer to their players by their real names.... with the exception of KML. I'll leave the nicknames to you Husky fans. I think nicknames for players are kinda silly myself.... but if the kids like it... then i guess its ok.
It usually is something that has game and practice utility - yelling out single syllables instead of complicated names is faster and easier - I think USA is using 'Phee' for ecample.

Reaction Score
UCONN does not do Collies-Huskies exclusively. Collier's trade marked nick name is The Pheenom-please use it. I like the versatility of your proposed starting five. The starters will work itself out somehow the only real question is how deep will the rotation go 7 ( your proposed starters + Butler & KLS) or 8 ( ...+ Boykin) or 9 (....+ Chong) or 10 ( .... + Courtney). I am betting on 9 for the regular season and 8 by final 4.
That awkward moment when you forget the "r" and a players name :(

Reaction Score
Honestly Geno has proved,to me, he can win going six deep. Numbers are Numbers, if you have 3 AA in your starting lineup who has shown consistently they can beat anyone there's really no need for much tweaking. The scary thing is "NOW" Geno has the capability to really call in reinforcements if needed. Personally, I think the new four quarter rule will expand coaches bench because now teams really have to put emphasis on their style/tempo of play. Perfect timing for Uconn to go 6-9 deep, so I'm interested to see what Geno comes up with. Poor AAC

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Getting a chance to watch this game for the first time. Wilson was the beneficiary of some terrific passes including ones from Cox and Dangerfield.

Dangerfield has some serious vision and passing abilities, not to mention speed and handles.

Collier continued to show her impressive motor. She'll make a great trapping partner if Geno decides to use her as such. Her and Ortiz were especially good at that. She also hit a pretty driving jumpshot, a deep baseline jumper, a 17-ft jumper from the elbow, and what would've been a three had her toe not been on the line.

Cox is one of the best passing bigs I've ever seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Baller29

Top Bottom