U19 Gold Medal Game USA vs Russia ESPN3 1:15 | Page 6 | The Boneyard

U19 Gold Medal Game USA vs Russia ESPN3 1:15

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
In the linked article by Carl Adamec, he quoted Dangerfield as praising her future UConn teammate by stating that "Pheese" was a great player "on both sides of the ball."

I don't recall reading or hearing this vivid description of all around excellence before - usually it is "both ends of the court" - but I give CD#3 credit for being as creative with our language as she is handling the ball - on both sides. ;)
Oh, I thought she meant Pheese was a great dancer and handled the punch bowl with aplomb. :)

Reaction Score
Really enjoyed that game. The Russian team was excellent. Rarely have I seen post players so agile, quick and can put the ball on the floor. Their pg was certainly world class. The U.S was good and v.good when it counted most. I came away very impressed with our players and the coaches. Dawn was excellent (and credit is due to her assistants too) and there should be no lingering questions about her ability. Wilson is clearly not the same player we saw in Storrs- and SC will be a tough team for a while (she might be the new Geno). Stevens is a smooth player that will carry Duke- and if they can get Salvardore, they will challenge for a f4. Pheese can start anywhere and it will be difficult for me to see her coming off the bench in a serious way by years end. She might be our next Nurse- sit the first couple of games, but when things get serious she will take over a spot. (I see her as Stewart's replacement- a matchup problem for most teams) Would have love to see KLS in such an intense game where both her shooting and defense would have been critical. And now that Nurse has shedded her little sister role (at the expense of Jefferson and Stewart +++) for equal status- things are heating up. We might e in danger of some surprising transfers. Not a wish here. I'm glad that Collier and Dangerfield played together because we need Dangerfield next year and a lot can happen betw now and signing.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Future teammates:

CK4gZVvWsAA5TLw.jpg
A very bright future!

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
That was a big shot that White hit at the end of the 3rd quarter and she was effective in the fourth quarter. But let's not delude ourselves. Up until that 3 point shot, her performance in this tournament had been dismal. She was 14 of 44 from the field (31.8%) overall and that includes the 3 of 7 in the final game. Which means that she was shooting UNDER 30% in the tournament before the final game. The games are available to see on the FIBA website if you don't want to go by stats alone. Can you honestly say that she was having even a mediocre tournament before that 3 at the end of the 3rd quarter ?
LOL - said nothing about her tourney performance. Just talking about THIS game. Plenty of players struggle and then find a way to show up. You chose to diss her taking a shot she had to. Why?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Random thoughts on the U19 Tournament.
UCONN’s future is very very very very bright because it includes The Pheenom, The Real Danger, & KLS-who did not even play. I could see all three players starting as Freshmen for UCONN.
If A’ja Wilson every got a PG like The Real Danger who can set her up consistently she will be a NPOY candidate.
Chatrice White can really play. Very versatile-post moves with either hand , can shoot the three ball, solid defender-max effort at all times. If/When things fall further apart for her at Illinois she will have many suitors including Kim Barnes Arico -Michigan who had a front row seat to watch all of this.
Kristine Anigwe seems to have regressed and she has become annoying. During the game against Spain she was at the foul line, Dawn sub White for her and Anigwe complained to Stevens about being subbed out and proceeded to roll her eyes.
Lauren Cox left me wanting more. Not more basketball more maturity. There were some long sequences where she did not play well and it seemed to snowball from play to play. None of this had anything to do with her basketball skill set, it seemed to be all mental.
I sincerely hope the entire Russian team will make like Eddie Murphy and come to America to play College basketball. I further hope that 2 of them will at least consider UCONN. Levchenko- The Doty clone (per JoePgh post) & Maria Vadeeva-the next “it” kid (per Mike Flynn tweet) with a game similar to Stewie at the same age. FYI Vadeeva has not turned 17 yet.
I hope/pray Salvadoes situation resolves itself and she get to play at Duke. WCBB needs more players with her flair.

Reaction Score
You can describe it as a diss. I describe it as accurate. It's true that someone had to shoot when the ball was being passed around furiously at the end of the 3rd quarter. I just knew, based on her performance in the tournament, that she would shoot it and not look to make another pass. She played very well in the 4th quarter of the final game. How would you describe her play in the tournament up until that 3 pt. shot ?

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Fairly common phrase.

Over 70 million hits on Google.

An obvious oversight, measured by 70+ million.

But it was new to me and I liked it. Ms CD#3 is more interesting to me than a few million Google hits.

Ha-rumph!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
You can describe it as a diss. I describe it as accurate. It's true that someone had to shoot when the ball was being passed around furiously at the end of the 3rd quarter. I just knew, based on her performance in the tournament, that she would shoot it and not look to make another pass. She played very well in the 4th quarter of the final game. How would you describe her play in the tournament up until that 3 pt. shot ?

Somewhere between reading your post and ThisJustIn I had this thought: Can you ever really "diss" a player for a shot that they make? White's play up until the made 3 and the following crucial minutes was fairly spotty. But she was brilliant after that and Dawn stuck with her.[/QUOTE]

Reaction Score
Somewhere between reading your post and ThisJustIn I had this thought: Can you ever really "diss" a player for a shot that they make? White's play up until the made 3 and the following crucial minutes was fairly spotty. But she was brilliant after that and Dawn stuck with her.
[/QUOTE]

Allow me to add some details so that it's easier to follow my thoughts on White.
I "knew" that she would take that shot based on watching her in the previous games in the tournament. She took as many shots in the 97 minutes she played, at a sub 30% FG rate until the last quarter of the last game, as Moore did in 161 minutes as the starting shooting guard. White recorded 3 assists (9 turnovers) in those 97 minutes. My impression of her in the tournament was a shoot first, shoot second, pass when you have to, type of player. That is why I remarked that "she's never seen a shot she didn't like". I recognize that she had to shoot that 3 because time was running out. I am of the opinion that if there were say 5 seconds left, she still would have taken the shot rather than look to pass first.
Of the 12 players on the team, she was 10th in efficiency and 12th in the +/- stat (Yes, last. Even Anigwe, who played half the minutes, had a higher +/- ). I was glad White made that 3 and also very happy that she played so well in the 4th quarter. But, for the first 6 3/4 games, her play was ineffective to say the least.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Fair enough. Let us rank the USA bigs based on play during this tournament only. I have White 3rd behind only Wilson & Stevens. Do you disagree?

Reaction Score
Fair enough. Let us rank the USA bigs based on play during this tournament only. I have White 3rd behind only Wilson & Stevens. Do you disagree?

In this tournament, I agree, but barely. She made it to 3rd on the basis of her play in the fourth quarter of the last game alone. Up until that point, I would have put Cox ahead of White. 3rd means she's ahead of Cox and Anigwe. Anigwe played the fewest minutes on the team by a wide margin. Cox, in almost the same amount of minutes of play as White (93 to 97), had 42 rebounds to White's 26. Shot 37.1% in fg's to White's 31.8%. Had 8 blocked shots to White's 1. An efficiency rating of 48 to White's 28. A +/- figure of 59 to White's 47 (White's 47 was the lowest +/- on the entire team). 5 assists to White's 3. Cox was careless with the ball, 14 to's to White's 9. Looking at the numbers again, I might have to reconsider the rankings.
There's a 2 year age difference but if I had to choose which one I wanted on my college team between the two, it would be Cox.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom