Not open for further replies.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
u19.jpg

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Wilson may have gotten the MVP here and on the U18 team last year but I think Collier was the best player on both teams.

This tournament was my first time seeing Collier play..... she's quite impressive. How tall is she ?

Reaction Score

By the way, is it just me or has 6'1" been an uncommon height for important players at UConn lately? Seems like most notable players have been 6 ft or under, or otherwise 6'2" and over.

Reaction Score
Glad the USA won, of course, though the team clearly showed signs of insufficient practice time to become a very cohesive unit. Not a lot of communication on defense, lots of offensive inconsistencies. For fans of UConn WBB, however, there is ample cause for jubilation. Crystal, only a rising high school senior, ran the point with excellent confidence. As others have pointed out, she is virtually a budding clone of MJ herself, and is going to be great once she gets some experience in Storrs. Napheesa? In a few years we'll see her jersey hoisted up on the Wall of Honor!! Lots of good days comin' up!!!

Reaction Score
By the way, is it just me or has 6'1" been an uncommon height for important players at UConn lately? Seems like most notable players have been 6 ft or under, or otherwise 6'2" and over.
6'1" Huskies of Honor:

Kerry Bascom
Swin Cash

Reaction Score
It was a real good game with the Russians playing well. Some of the Russian players were very impressive (the PG, number 7, the young post). On the American side, Wilson was clearly the go to player and deserved the MVP. Collier is amazing all around player who does everything well (aside than maybe shooting the 3 ball) and was the glue of this team. Dangerfield is a great PG when she doesn't look to score first and will learn in UConn what is a good shot and what is not a good shot but as a facilitator she clearly got a great court vision and will do very very well on the next level.
One player I expected to see more from was Cox and she was far from impressive but hopefully this experience will convince her that she needs some good coaching to reach her immense potential and the best such coaching is at UConn!

Reaction Score
For those of you wondering about Dangerfield's shot - I'm with slu on this. I didn't see this tourney but other times I've seen her play - she has a real nice shot. As slu said - don't look at this one tourney - especially this game to evaluate her shot. She can "shoot it."

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
For those of you wondering about Dangerfield's shot - I'm with slu on this. I didn't see this tourney but other times I've seen her play - she has a real nice shot. As slu said - don't look at this one tourney - especially this game to evaluate her shot. She can "shoot it."

Prior to today, Dangerfield was 12-24 (50%) inside the 3 pt arc & 3-9 outside 3 pt range. Very acceptable. Today, she was 1-6. But the other guards were a combined 0-5.... Tough crowd.. :)

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I liked the announcers.... wish they could do some of the WCBB games. They both gave credit to Slocum and Dangerfield for playing good games.

White did a good job...
I like Mick, the color commentator. Anyone know anything about him?

Reaction Score
ESPN3.com will stream the game.

Game can also be watched on the FIBA TV site and clicking the link for the game. http://www.livebasketball.tv/home Will have to register to watch game for Free.
Aj a Wilson with 30 points and Collier led the comeback attack. I wasn't much impressed by Wilson, until today. Collier and Dangerfield are going to lead Uconn to it's 5th, 6th, 7th,8th NC's in a row. I know we'll have to wait a year for Dangerfield but it will be worth the wait.

Reaction Score

Duke can come away from this Gold Medal game feeling good about Stevens. USC too has bragging rights with Wilson. The top two however were Uconn commit and team member. White is she from the Illini?? USA, when they had to , played great defense.

Reaction Score
Wilson throws the ball away in the backcourt, then after Collier blocks a shot attempt the ball goes into the corner and Wilson is beyond slow making an attempt on the shooter. Maybe she's tired from playing the whole game. Like to see Cox for a couple minutes.
We got to see Cox for a few seconds -- maybe she needed more time to acclimate to the game flow.
Heresy beyond heresy, I liked most of the Russian players. Number 7 could sub for KML. It was hard to see the Russian Teens with tears at the end of the game, only consolation is the tears were Russian not USA--still !!

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Heresy beyond heresy, I liked most of the Russian players. Number 7 could sub for KML. It was hard to see the Russian Teens with tears at the end of the game, only consolation is the tears were Russian not USA--still !!

Madeeva their rangy center is awfully impressive. I don't guess she'll be coming to the US for college.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Napheesa's Stats on Team USA
  • Led the team in minutes played: 24.1/gm
  • Led the team in Efficiency Rating: 21
  • Led the team in rebounds at 9.3/gm
  • Led the team with 17 steals, including 6 in today's game
  • Led the team in FG% (54.2%)
  • Led the team in FT% (80%)
  • 2nd in scoring at 12.7/gm

Dangerfield's:
  • 3rd on the team with 19 assists, including a team-leading 5 in today's game
  • 2nd fewest turnovers in the tournament (4)

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
IF White has to play major minutes, not looking good for Team USA. Russia leads 21-19 end of 1st quarter.
I knew White would take the last shot. She hasn't seen a shot she doesn't like.

Always fun to watch a game after it's over and read the commentary. The reason she hit that key three was because the ball tossed to her and she had to take the shot. Clearly, White was HUGE for the US. If she ups her fitness she'll be a force.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
ThisJustIn said:
IF White has to play major minutes, not looking good for Team USA. Russia leads 21-19 end of 1st quarter. Always fun to watch a game after it's over and read the commentary. The reason she hit that key three was because the ball tossed to her and she had to take the shot. Clearly, White was HUGE for the US. If she ups her fitness she'll be a force.

Agreed. I watched White all season for Illinois and she is a great player. She can shoot the 3 and has some good post moves. It will be a huge loss if she defects from the Illini program

Reaction Score
IF White has to play major minutes, not looking good for Team USA. Russia leads 21-19 end of 1st quarter.

Always fun to watch a game after it's over and read the commentary. The reason she hit that key three was because the ball tossed to her and she had to take the shot. Clearly, White was HUGE for the US. If she ups her fitness she'll be a force.

That was a big shot that White hit at the end of the 3rd quarter and she was effective in the fourth quarter. But let's not delude ourselves. Up until that 3 point shot, her performance in this tournament had been dismal. She was 14 of 44 from the field (31.8%) overall and that includes the 3 of 7 in the final game. Which means that she was shooting UNDER 30% in the tournament before the final game. The games are available to see on the FIBA website if you don't want to go by stats alone. Can you honestly say that she was having even a mediocre tournament before that 3 at the end of the 3rd quarter ?

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score

In the linked article by Carl Adamec, he quoted Dangerfield as praising her future UConn teammate by stating that "Pheese" was a great player "on both sides of the ball."

I don't recall reading or hearing this vivid description of all around excellence before - usually it is "both ends of the court" - but I give CD#3 credit for being as creative with our language as she is handling the ball - on both sides. ;)

JS

Reaction Score
"Pheese" was a great player "on both sides of the ball." I don't recall reading or hearing this vivid description of all around excellence before - usually it is "both ends of the court"
Fairly common phrase.

Over 70 million hits on Google.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member