Tyler Polley commits to UConn! | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Tyler Polley commits to UConn!

Reaction Score
That's for Hoopseen (my screenshot was scout) but still holds true to his rising in rankings.
Yeah, I was just pointing out that if you actually click on that link that calls him the 82nd ranked player, he shows up as a 3 star, not the 82nd ranked player.

Reaction Score
No, I didn't. There are all kinds of dumb, white athletes too. Ryan Lochte comes to mind. Football is loaded with them. My experience with pro hockey players (I've been around tons of them) has been that many lack class and many are very poorly educated. I will say that I am against athletes that can't possibly handle real college getting full scholarships to great schools just for the sake of winning, regardless of race.

I pointed out that this kid seems to have it together and that he shows maturity and wisdom beyond his years and it is racist? No. I was just impressed that he took the time to work through his announcement in the notes app on his phone and made sure it clearly represented his thoughts and feelings.

For what it's worth, pretty sure I shared a plane with this kid and his family Labor Day weekend. Seemed very nice, polite and family oriented.

Whether or not you intended it to be about race, you listed a bunch of things that are racial stereotypes against black students. There are a handful of people here who think things like AAVE are "bad grammar" or a sign of laziness, though, so you're not alone.

Reaction Score
Remember watching Edmund Saunders when I was a kid at the boys club. He was 6'8 then and he couldn't dunk.

????????????

I remember watching Edmund Saunders when I was an adult and he was at UConn. He was 6' 8" and could dunk with authority.

Reaction Score
Whether or not you intended it to be about race, you listed a bunch of things that are racial stereotypes against black students. There are a handful of people here who think things like AAVE are "bad grammar" or a sign of laziness, though, so you're not alone.

Aah. Well, not the intent. Ebonics don't bother me. Incoherent attempts at real English concern me though. There are many athletes on social media posting things that are just emabarrassingly poorly written that are not cultural vernacular related.

Reaction Score
Please excuse my ignorance, and I'm seriously not trying to be a jackass here (other than my natural proclivity to be so), but can you define or clarify what AAVE is? I haven't heard that or haven't been paying attention. Not involved or weighing in on this discussion at all just wondering what I am missing.
Thank you.

Reaction Score
Please excuse my ignorance, and I'm seriously not trying to be a jackass here (other than my natural proclivity to be so), but can you define or clarify what AAVE is? I haven't heard that or haven't been paying attention. Not involved or weighing in on this discussion at all just wondering what I am missing.
Thank you.

African American Vernacular English (AAVE) is the variety formerly known as Black English Vernacular or Vernacular Black English among sociolinguists, and commonly called Ebonics outside the academic community.

JakeTheDog

Makin’ bacon pancakes
Reaction Score
Thank you.

Ebonics

Reaction Score
Thank you both who answered. I looked it up after I asked realizing that I should have done that to begin with.

caw

Reaction Score
When did you look those up? Scout has him as an unranked 3 star. There is no way they dropped him after he committed to us. That just never happens so you must have posted old information. Having said that, the chart on 247 shows his ranking dropping steadily for quite a while. Maybe scout is just catching up.

Honestly just went on google scroll. See screen shot. Lazy on my part.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    152.7 KB · Views: 92

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Ollie seems to have decided that rather than waste a lot of time and energy on 5 stars guys who probably won't come to UConn and then leave after one year he would perhaps concentrate on bringing in high quality 4 star guys who will stay the full 4 years.

Reaction Score
????????????

I remember watching Edmund Saunders when I was an adult and he was at UConn. He was 6' 8" and could dunk with authority.

He played my HS team when he was at Holy Cross and he had some rather authoritative dunks in that game. It was comical as our team hadn't played anyone that had near the hops he did. Our guys tried hard, but were one step above the chair when it came to stopping him.

Reaction Score
Ollie seems to have decided that rather than waste a lot of time and energy on 5 stars guys who probably won't come to UConn and then leave after one year he would perhaps concentrate on bringing in high quality 4 star guys who will stay the full 4 years.
He's certainly going after 5*'s early though. He's already in on a bunch in 2018

Reaction Score
The 2 guys we've spent the most time on for the past year and a half are both 5* guys who are most likely gone after 1 year

Reaction Score
We all know rankings of a kid in any ratings service is heavily influenced by how a kid plays at the specific times when they are watching. But it is interesting to me that the Lindy's Preseason Publication has Tyler Polley as our highest rated recruit at #67, with MAL at #69. There were some boneyarders whose posts suggested concern to the affect that he wasn't highly ranked enough to be a worthy target. At least some skilled eyes differ. (And FYI DJ Harvey was still #17 on that list). I admit there are a number of significant difference from other services, (Hami at 26/28) (Scruggs at #14) (Wilkes in the teens). Polley now also has a listing at 6'8 vs 6'7 or 6'9. I hope it is ok enough to recruit and get commitments from kids that are in the #60's and be thrilled about it. I for one am still basking in the 3 recent commitments. (It helps get over the Giant's loss)

Reaction Score
He played my HS team when he was at Holy Cross and he had some rather authoritative dunks in that game. It was comical as our team hadn't played anyone that had near the hops he did. Our guys tried hard, but were one step above the chair when it came to stopping him.
Edmund was 6'8 in 8th grade and could dunk then, no clue what this guy is talking about.

Reaction Score
We all know rankings of a kid in any ratings service is heavily influenced by how a kid plays at the specific times when they are watching. But it is interesting to me that the Lindy's Preseason Publication has Tyler Polley as our highest rated recruit at #67, with MAL at #69. There were some boneyarders whose posts suggested concern to the affect that he wasn't highly ranked enough to be a worthy target. At least some skilled eyes differ. (And FYI DJ Harvey was still #17 on that list). I admit there are a number of significant difference from other services, (Hami at 26/28) (Scruggs at #14) (Wilkes in the teens). Polley now also has a listing at 6'8 vs 6'7 or 6'9. I hope it is ok enough to recruit and get commitments from kids that are in the #60's and be thrilled about it. I for one am still basking in the 3 recent commitments. (It helps get over the Giant's loss)
Love the Polley commitment as well but any list that has Hami late 20's can't he taken seriously.

C

Chief00

There's a pretty good chance we'll have open scholarships again next year, unless Bamba and Diallo both come here. We now have 2 open spots for 2017 but also only the same 2 open for 2018

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about having some ships next year. Additionally, when you have a big freshman class - it's not unusual for at least one guy to leave - not speculating on anyone - it's just that's what could happen in today's game - not all kids are willing to sit and wait their turn - and unfortunately there could always be academics .

C

Chief00

Edmund was 6'8 in 8th grade and could dunk then, no clue what this guy is talking about.
He was a rare guy who would occasionally talk back to Coach - not a smart move LOL. However, he was a tough kid with good hands - helped in the Duke game with interior toughness.

Reaction Score
One of the few Prop 48 guys who graduated after 4 years and left with still a year of eligibility.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom