Two Years Ago Tomorrow... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Two Years Ago Tomorrow...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Are you suggesting nobody wanted Edsall gone after the loss to UofL? And if anybody admitted to it, it would be lying?

Of course not. Did I say no one wanted him gone?

I'm still enjoying the fact that Waylon said we wouldn't win another game.

Reaction Score
Are you suggesting nobody wanted Edsall gone after the loss to UofL? And if anybody admitted to it, it would be lying?

Maybe you should try making a point without name calling. People might actually understand what you are trying to say.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
People might actually understand what you are trying to say.

I am making the point that just because the boneyard raging, it doesn't mean its right. More likely, the boneyard is being too extreme.

Like in this case.

PP isn't going anywhere this week. He isn't resigning and he isn't going to be fired. We are going to have him the rest of this season and likely atleast one more.

He is a guy with a solid football background. It isn't unbelievable to imagine that he will turn it around. I hope he does.

I know this - it can be tough to win at this level with a walk-on QB one year and a QB with no experience at this level the next.

I wouldn't be surprised if we get back to "Edsall" level success next year (defined as top 35-50) and actually beat a top 25 team.

Reaction Score
I am making the point that just because the boneyard raging, it doesn't mean its right. More likely, the boneyard is being too extreme.

Like in this case.

PP isn't going anywhere this week. He isn't resigning and he isn't going to be fired. We are going to have him the rest of this season and likely atleast one more.

He is a guy with a solid football background. It isn't unbelievable to imagine that he will turn it around. I hope he does.

I know this - it can be tough to win at this level with a walk-on QB one year and a QB with no experience at this level the next.

I wouldn't be surprised if we get back to "Edsall" level success next year (defined as top 35-50) and actually beat a top 25 team.

Just because the boneyard is raging does not mean it is right. I'm not sure you will get a disagreement on that. But just because it is raging doesn't mean it is wrong either.

Just a thought -- you could simply discuss the topic of the day without all this extraneous crap.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Just a thought -- you could simply discuss the topic of the day without all this extraneous crap.

You mean stuff like this?

"Would it make you happy if I lied and said I wanted Edsall gone after that loss? Because if it would make you happy ...."

Reaction Score

Like in this case.

I think we all know PP isn't leaving this week and we know a change may not happen until the end of the year, but this is where fans come and release their frustrations and voice their opinions... that doesn't make us wrong for doing so.

I say PP is an average coach and will not turn this program around with DeLeone on his side!

Reaction Score
I remember exactly what I said after the RU loss. From that point on, I was indifferent as to whether he stayed or not. Had he been coming off of a 5-7 season instead of one in which we achieved one of the more remarkable turnarounds in the country by ripping off four straight wins including a win over ND and against an SEC team in the heart of SEC country, I probably would have felt much more strongly about it.

In the middle of 2010, it was clear that Edsall would keep us where we were: a decent program that would be bowl eligible more often than not and gets to 8 or 9 wins every few years. That's good enough to keep your job at at 75% of the programs in the country. That doesn't mean that he couldn't be replaced. We simply did a job replacing him.

Reaction Score
I remember exactly what I said after the RU loss. From that point on, I was indifferent as to whether he stayed or not. Had he been coming off of a 5-7 season instead of one in which we achieved one of the more remarkable turnarounds in the country by ripping off four straight wins including a win over ND and against an SEC team in the heart of SEC country, I probably would have felt much more strongly about it.

In the middle of 2010, it was clear that Edsall would keep us where we were: a decent program that would be bowl eligible more often than not and gets to 8 or 9 wins every few years..

That's truly funny E. Because the best use of the English language would not be "every few years" when you mean "each of the last four years."

The lack of respect for what we accomplished here before this Hindenburg of a hiring is logically just not understandable.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score

In the middle of 2010, it was clear that Edsall would keep us where we were: a decent program that would be bowl eligible more often than not and gets to 8 or 9 wins every few years. That's good enough to keep your job at at 75% of the programs in the country. That doesn't mean that he couldn't be replaced. We simply did a ****ty job replacing him.

Exactly. You can't compare the reaction to 2010 and 2012 without including how 2009 and 2011 shaped that reaction.

Reaction Score
That's truly funny E. Because the best use of the English language would not be "every few years" when you mean "each of the last four years."

The lack of respect for what we accomplished here before this Hindenburg of a hiring is logically just not understandable.

I suppose I should have clarified "regular season".

Is it insulting to call what we accomplished in the last four years of Edsall's tenure anything other than "remarkable", "amazing" or "incredible"? I prefer "good" to "very good".

Reaction Score
I suppose I should have clarified "regular season".

Is it insulting to call what we accomplished in the last four years of Edsall's tenure anything other than "remarkable", "amazing" or "incredible"? I prefer "good" to "very good".

You are entitled to any opinion you want (although even you acknowledge that the one you are now setting forth is not the one you wrote and I responded to). Having said that, "very good" remains the minimally positive adjective that anyone outside the UConn football program would use to describe the accomplishment, and most would pick the more praising adjectives you proffered.

That doesn't make all neutral observers right and those UConn fans who reluctantly give Edsall credit wrong. But it does show which way the smart money would be bet.

Reaction Score
You are entitled to any opinion you want (although even you acknowledge that the one you are now setting forth is not the one you wrote and I responded to). It's not the latter, but it was the former. My opinion didn't change by clarifying what the numbers mean. In my mind, the season is the season, and the postseason is the postseason. Obviously others look at it differently. My opinion is that he was a good coach who accomplished much but wasn't irreplaceable.

Having said that, "very good" remains the minimally positive adjective that anyone outside the UConn football program would use to describe the accomplishment, and most would pick the more praising adjectives you proffered. I'm not talking about what he built from 2000-2007 (nobody can reasonably argue that it wasn't remarkable), I'm talking about what he did with the talent he had the last four years. If we're talking about how people felt in the middle of 2010, we had a team that was underachieving greatly. The 2008 team, in my mind, underachieved (with 4 first day draft picks, the best RB in the country and a very good defense). I don't think it was unreasonable to say at that point "he's a good coach, but I'm not going to lose my if he leaves". That sums up how I felt.

That doesn't make all neutral observers right and those UConn fans who reluctantly give Edsall credit wrong. But it does show which way the smart money would be bet. You seem to be drawing the conclusion that because the next guy didn't do better that we couldn't do better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom