Twitter Post Game Thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Twitter Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
Just watched the replay, that was fun! My favorite parts -
  • Donovan Clingan. He completely owned the paint on both ends of the floor. And a THREE??? He was having fun out there, welcome back big guy
  • Great game from the bench. Solo couldn't miss, Stewart is catching lobs, Diarra was a defensive menace, Samson got his dunks, Apostolos and Andrew Hurley were getting buckets..love it
  • Castle had his hands all over the game, as always. He doesn't want to take a shot outside of 5 feet, defenses know it, yet he can still get to the rim so often
  • Cam and Karaban barely scored and we rolled to a 40 point win
Week off definitely helped. UConn was fresh, active, and ended the game well before halftime. This team is goooooooooooood

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Hurley's comment in the presser that the coaching staff "probably shouldn't stay intact past this year" was probably stating the obvious, but still a little bit of a gut punch. It also makes him a guy that great assistants should want to flock to.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hurley's comment in the presser that the coaching staff "probably shouldn't stay intact past this year" was probably stating the obvious, but still a little bit of a gut punch.
He said that last season too. It's always good expanding your coaching tree and both those guys deserve head coaching jobs. Selfishly I don't want them both leaving after this season, Kimani is a lot older than Luke so I hope he gets his chance and Luke comes back.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Agree with SJ.

Selfishly I would love to keep this in tact for another decade or so but both deserve opportunities. I'd rather not lose them both during the same offseason and I absolutely hope neither lands in a spot where success isn't likely (too many places out there are setup for failure).

I appreciate the hell out of these two gentlemen, will enjoy every second they are here and will wish them success when the move on.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Not for nothin', but after the game I ran some errands and stopped at a brewpub for a beer on the way home wearing a UConn hoodie and hat. Since I live in the middle of nowhere thousands of miles from the Basketball Capital of the World, it's seriously been 5+ years since anyone has commented on me wearing UConn anything (last time was a lady in the hardware store who grew up in Trumbull). Today as soon as I walked into the place a guy turned around and said "you guys are effn scary". Turned out the guy's a CO State alum and a big college BB fan.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I Love CBB (and UConn of course) but am basically unschooled about the nuts and bolts of offensive play aside from the pick and roll. So a question:
Would it be disruptive of the overall offensive scheme (or just plain dumb) if they started running two or three plays per game designed to get Clingan an open three? I’m asking, not only because he looks like he can knock them down, but, if he started hitting them with some consistency it would boost his draft value significantly. Just wondering…
NO, but if he takes them in the flow of the offense then so be it. I actually think he can be a decent shooter from there if given enough chances. I doubt it will matter though because it looks like he doesn't want to shoot it all that often.

As far as his draft position, that's not a good enough reason to alter the team's style. I, however would like to see it occasionally because then his defender would have to take 2 or 3 more steps out to the perimeter leaving the paint more open for cutters, lobs and backdoor passes. This is a good enough reason to alter our style a bit.

The team that drafts him will have had individual workouts with him at their gym, and they would have seen him in pre draft stuff and the combine. He will be asked to shoot there. NBA teams are aware that college coaches first responsibility is to win college basketball games. At his workouts, and at the combine they will ask him to do quite a few things that he didn't do in college so they can see if he has the potential to do those things or not.

Reaction Score
Just plain dumb. He doesn't shot it well enough to justify it, even though his stroke looked pure today.

He does a great job of initiating offense from the top of the key and hitting guys on back cuts. There will be times running that where he can maybe drift a couple of steps higher when he receives the initial pass, and if his guy doesn't follow him out, then maybe he takes the shot.

But that's really it.
Don’t agree. He hasn’t had the chances, the reps, to get comfortable which is why I am advocating a couple of chances per game. If Eddy had to guard him out there in a matchup, a lot of other things would open up for us. To be clear, he must be inside most of the time though.

Reaction Score
That part is patently ridiculous.
Thats a joke.. obvi. But it would be great to have him superfresh for the end of the season as we approach the tougher end of our BE schedule.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
NO, but if he takes them in the flow of the offense then so be it. I actually think he can be a decent shooter from there if given enough chances. I doubt it will matter though because it looks like he doesn't want to shoot it all that often.

As far as his draft position, that's not a good enough reason to alter the team's style. I, however would like to see it occasionally because then his defender would have to take 2 or 3 more steps out to the perimeter leaving the paint more open for cutters, lobs and backdoor passes. This is a good enough reason to alter our style a bit.

The team that drafts him will have had individual workouts with him at their gym, and they would have seen him in pre draft stuff and the combine. He will be asked to shoot there. NBA teams are aware that college coaches first responsibility is to win college basketball games. At his workouts, and at the combine they will ask him to do quite a few things that he didn't do in college so they can see if he has the potential to do those things or not.
He will end up being a decent three point shooter. Like the better Lopez brother. Someone you can’t let stand there wide open.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Thats a joke.. obvi. But it would be great to have him superfresh for the end of the season as we approach the tougher end of our BE schedule.
Sorry, my sarcasm detector is obv busted. In my own defense, it's hard to tell here. :)

Reaction Score
He will end up being a decent three point shooter. Like the better Lopez brother. Someone you can’t let stand there wide open.
I totally agree. He may not get there this year, but he will be someone that a defense has to account for on the perimeter.
For this year, if he could just get to a point where he takes +/-1 per game, and makes a few, then every center will have to take 2 more steps out to the perimeter which would lead to even more open space in the paint. He could then decide to pass or shoot from the top of the key, but there would be way more open cutters available for backdoor passes and lobs.
Imagine Clingan-to-Castle lob passes ! Insanity, beautiful beautiful insanity !!!

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
@kobe; You shouldn’t be thinking about how this relates to Cinci losing to X. Stay focused. Bearcats within striking distance in 11th place. Bawhawww.

Come On Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Reaction Score
Clingan has touch. We’ve seen it in clips. When you are that big with arms that long a 3 is about as easy as a foul shot.

Reaction Score
So, he should be 50% from 3? I joke, I joke.
Only Hurley can tell us if there's an upside to him taking them. Sanogo helped out with them, so I defer to coach!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom