Tulsa Post Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
1,We returned 10 players from the previous year
2. Gilbert was healthy.
3. Wilson was a highly thought of recruit coming off a redshirt year.
4. The out of conference schedule was very vavorable.
All our Marquis games were virtual home games against bearable teams
5. The AAC was allegedly in a significant down year
Yes. But our previous HC did not build this team for success. Way too many missing pieces.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
That's exactly what I thought too. The guy that knows he was just about to get into a fight, things cool off, and then a half hearted hand shake is offered.

Haith didn't want any part of that and I can't say I blame him.

Haith has the biggest beef. Where was his second T?

Reaction Score
The officating wasn’t that bad tonight. Did you notice the game got along quite nicely after the head coaches were shunted to the exits?

Hurley was like a drunk at a bar trying to give a sarcastic handshake when he got the second T.
Were you a Joey Crawford fan by chance?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Were you a Joey Crawford fan by chance?

If you can’t live with the level of officiating tonight you need to find a new hobby. The only specific call anyone is crying about is the second T and the more I watch it the more deserved it is.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I didn't think either deserved the second T to be honest. I don't know the rule book verbatim, but felt like the dual technicals should have just ended it.

We don’t know what they said. Hurley did start to block his mouth before he pretended shock.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Calhoun, K, Knight, Boeheim, Pitino etc.
They did their effective work during games, not after. And what they did worked. What Hurley is doing is not working. I believe it’s actually hurting. He’s like the boy who cried “Wolf” because he overreacts to everything. More like a fan than a coach.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

That’s BS and I don’t like that he’s trying to sell it , it wasn’t “We”. everyone saw the game Haith was very reluctant and slow to finally accept the shake. That was all Hurley.
For a hot minute I thought I was watching a pro wrestling match where the heel sticks out his hand and then tricks the baby face.

So cringey

Reaction Score
im all in on hurley, but that was a weird exchange overall. lots of second-hand embarrassment here

Reaction Score
They did their effective work during games, not after. And what they did worked. What Hurley is doing is not working. I believe it’s actually hurting. He’s like the boy who cried “Wolf” because he overreacts to everything. More like a fan than a coach.
Are you claiming those guys and other top coaches never called refs out to the media?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
That’s BS and I don’t like that he’s trying to sell it , it wasn’t “We”. everyone saw the game Haith was very reluctant and slow to finally accept the shake. That was all Hurley.
For a hot minute I thought I was watching a pro wrestling match where the heel sticks out his hand and then tricks the baby face.

So cringey
Our mutual friend who shares your birthday is not unlike him in some ways. It’s not fake; it’s just mercurial. They flare and then realize they were idiots and try to smooth it over.

Reaction Score
He's gonna have to learn how to work the officials. It's great that he's animated and in their ear, but he goes 100 miles per hour for the entirety of every game. I trust he'll learn.
Wonder if sitting on your hands is more effective. Again. Not an Ollie liver. But not a hater. He should have st least tried more. I am just seeing the same results with minimal change.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Are you claiming those guys and other top coaches never called refs out to the media?
No. I’m saying that that’s not when they won the battles with the refs. When they won, they learned how to work them effectively in the games, not after. Calhoun was physically intimidating. Knight was intimidating to everyone, in a different era when he could be. K earned it with wins. Hurley hasn’t firgured it out. He has made himself a target. And his post-game rants aren’t going to change anything. He needs to pick his battles, plain and simple.

Reaction Score
Something needs to be done about the refs. It's a one month sport for most so they get away with it, but for the more hardcore fans its ruining it.

Reaction Score
You're right. He should sit on his hands and watch call after call go against UConn. In fact he shouldn't sit on his hands, he should applaud them.
Down with strategic Ts all day. But stop whining and start adjusting. We have all mentioned concern withbsecind half and first half ending debacles. Get a plan together with this great staff we have. Recruiting doesn’t matter if they aren’t winning.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
No. I’m saying that that’s not when they won the battles with the refs. When they won, they learned how to work them effectively in the games, not after. Calhoun was physically intimidating. Knight was intimidating to everyone, in a different era when he could be. K earned it with wins. Hurley hasn’t firgured it out. He has made himself a target. And his post-game rants aren’t going to change anything. He needs to pick his battles, plain and simple.

Hurley has tripled down on what isn’t working.

He’s gone from his stares from the opposite logo at timeouts. To ranting and raving. To beefs with the other bench. To making a post game statement so ridiculous the league is going to call Diamond Dave (probably won’t find him).

Guy your team sucks - pick your spots.

Reaction Score
Just watched the game on WatchESPN. Glad I forgot about as I would have hated to waste 2 hours watching this team tonight. LOL!

Truly embarrassing performance defensively by both the bigs and the guards. Our bigs just suck. If Tulsa can dominate us inside we better get some bigs in soon if we ever want to improve. We also need better shooters. Polley is just a waster of a scholarship at this time and Carlton isn't much better. Gilbert still driving too far inside and is just not that great. I know he is basically a Freshman but I was hoping for more intelligence on the court. Jalen needs to be the Alpha dog from tip and not wait for other players to get into the game. We don't have the talent on this team to do it. We really need to get some bigs and guards that will play a lick of defense. I don't think we are making the NIT this season. I think we will be a bottom 4 team in this league which is truly embarrassing and I expected a smarter team on the floor this year from Hurley.

Reaction Score
I'm a numbers guy.

I don't trust those numbers. He plays primarily against scrub teams and against bench units this year. He's played 6% of the minutes. It's just a silly amount of time to use any sort of stat, ESPECIALLY defensive stats, and even further defensive stats that rely on box score contributions only.

From the creator of the stat:

Last year he got a majority of his minutes from the Coppin St. game to the Wichita St. game. UConn went 6-10 during that stretch (and 4-8 in games he started). He had a sub 10% dreb% last year, which doesn't exactly address one of the main concerns we have with playing small this year (For context, Vital's rate is double that).

So yes, he blocks a couple shots, which looks nice to rate-oriented defensive box score stats.

Do you know what I trust more than those stats? 2 straight coaches who have seen what he offers in practice and on tape from games and sits him on the pine and plays him 2-3 minutes a game.

Agree about this year but he played 14 mins a game last year - much of it in conference play and not vs cupcakes - plenty of time to make his strong defensive numbers significant. And his D passes the eye test - he’s a very good shotblocker and that’s where we’re deficient.

Also, KO observed him and obviously came to the conclusion he had something given he played 14 mpg as a freshman. I’m not sure Hurley has come to the conclusion that Whaley is not good. I suspect missing much of November due to his ankle injury didn’t help his standing this year. I hope Hurley at some point gives him 15-20 mpg for 3 or 4 games in a row to see what he has.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom