Tulsa Post Game Thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Tulsa Post Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Yes it did. I remember plenty of people I worked with questioning whether Calhoun was the right hire.
My group bought season tickets when Calhoun was announced as the hire. Everyone understood it would take time.

Reaction Score
He needs to grow up, so, what should be done? What are the actions he should take? Please offer a solution.

Reaction Score
Literally what on earth makes people think this was a bubble team heading into this year?

You guys are either only watching UConn games or just that drunk on your own fandom.

I'm gonna be thrilled with 20 wins and an NIT appearance. Expecting anything else out of this group is just mind bending.
1,We returned 10 players from the previous year
2. Gilbert was healthy.
3. Wilson was a highly thought of recruit coming off a redshirt year.
4. The out of conference schedule was very favorable.
All our Marquis games were virtual home games against beatable teams
5. The AAC was allegedly in a significant down year

Last edited:

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Hell.

I’d be ok with him being a maniac if he put these kids in a position to get better. His sub patterns and gameplan decisions have left me very flat and worried.

Reaction Score
2 years at Wagner, 6 years at URI and never got booted from a game. This year, getting T'd up and booted more than once every 10 games. Growing up...learning...yeah, yeah, that's the ticket.
Maybe he didn’t need to light a fire under those kids. After vital there’s Boone else you can point to with an ‘I give a shiitte attitude’

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
The whole thing was utterly bizarre.

The arguing, the technical, the delay, the fake handshake, the delay, the ejection, the review of the review of the delay.

Though it did give the announcers a momentary lapse from extolling Jalens leadership abilities..

Reaction Score
Our record would be no different if Ollie were still the HC and that makes me sad. It’s all about recruiting for Hurley now, no one can make this current group into anything more than what they are. Let’s lock up some big men for next year Dan Hurley!
Our record would be worse with Ollie

Reaction Score
Could not be more wrong. Small sample size but the eye test backs the blurb below up (from The UConn Blog). He’s got a long wingspan and is quick off the floor.

In fact, he leads the team in Defensive Box Plus-Minus, a metric that measures a player’s defensive impact on the scoring margin. If that’s too mathematical for your tastes, there’s also Defensive Rating, which is simply a measure of how many points the opponent scores when a certain player is on the floor. Whaley also has the best number on the team in the latter stat. And if you’re suggesting that this is a result of small sample size and/or that Whaley has been primarily on the floor against bench units this season, it’s worth noting that his advanced stats were just as good last season.

I'm a numbers guy.

I don't trust those numbers. He plays primarily against scrub teams and against bench units this year. He's played 6% of the minutes. It's just a silly amount of time to use any sort of stat, ESPECIALLY defensive stats, and even further defensive stats that rely on box score contributions only.

From the creator of the stat:
There are limitations on all box score stats – if the box score doesn't measure a particular contribution, a box-score-based metric can only approximate that contribution. This is not a great hindrance on the offensive side, as nearly everything of importance on offense is captured by the box score (only missing things like screen-setting), but on defense the box score is quite limited. Blocks, steals, and rebounds, along with minutes and what little information offensive numbers yield about defensive performance are all that is available. Such critical components of defense as positioning, communication, and the other factors that make Kevin Garnett and Tim Duncan elite on defense can't be captured, unfortunately.

What does this mean? Box Plus/Minus is good at measuring offense and solid overall, but the defensive numbers in particular should not be considered definitive. Look at the defensive values as a guide, but don't hesitate to discount them when a player is well known as a good or bad defender.

Last year he got a majority of his minutes from the Coppin St. game to the Wichita St. game. UConn went 6-10 during that stretch (and 4-8 in games he started). He had a sub 10% dreb% last year, which doesn't exactly address one of the main concerns we have with playing small this year (For context, Vital's rate is double that).

So yes, he blocks a couple shots, which looks nice to rate-oriented defensive box score stats.

Do you know what I trust more than those stats? 2 straight coaches who have seen what he offers in practice and on tape from games and sits him on the pine and plays him 2-3 minutes a game.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
He needs to grow up, so, what should be done? What are the actions he should take? Please offer a solution.

The season is 40+ games and the games are 40 minutes.

1. Save your over the top reactions for calls that are actually both bad and impact the outcome of the game.

2. When you make a fool of yourself.. dont fake apologize and blame the refs.

Reaction Score
Maybe he didn’t need to light a fire under those kids. After vital there’s Boone else you can point to with an ‘I give a shiitte attitude’

Not saying he was any calmer at the previous two stops...can tell you he certainly was not at URI. The fact that he's getting booted now seems to imply he might be ratcheting it up a notch or two instead of going the other way...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
He has calmed down a lot, he was a maniac at Wagner. This wasn't a Hurley thing, this was what an embarrassment of a lesgue we are in thing.

The officating wasn’t that bad tonight. Did you notice the game got along quite nicely after the head coaches were shunted to the exits?

Hurley was like a drunk at a bar trying to give a sarcastic handshake when he got the second T.

Reaction Score
2 years at Wagner, 6 years at URI and never got booted from a game. This year, getting T'd up and booted more than once every 10 games. Growing up...learning...yeah, yeah, that's the ticket.

If I had to deal with the crap team left to him by Ollie I'd be getting T'd up every game if I was Hurley.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Hurley was like a drunk at a bar trying to give a sarcastic handshake when he got the second T.

That's exactly what I thought too. The guy that knows he was just about to get into a fight, things cool off, and then a half hearted hand shake is offered.

Haith didn't want any part of that and I can't say I blame him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom