Tulane Hires Mike Dunleavy Sr. | The Boneyard

Tulane Hires Mike Dunleavy Sr.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score
Um, doesn't Mike Dunleavy Jr. still play for the Bulls...?

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Um, doesn't Mike Dunleavy Jr. still play for the Bulls...?

yup. Edit my OP but need someone to fix the title for me

Reaction Score
Great coach but is it a good hire? I mean he's not too young and where are the recruiting ties, although I would guess he'd be welcome in most homes and schools.

Interesting hire for sure, great mind for the game.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Great coach but is it a good hire? I mean he's not too young and where are the recruiting ties, although I would guess he'd be welcome in most homes and schools.

Interesting hire for sure, great mind for the game.

Tulane needed a name more than anything imo. Former NBA player, with a son in the League. Slam dunk for Tulane. It's about getting the right staff together now, which should shore up recruiting.

Good for the conference too imo, if even a school like Tulane can attract a name coach. Dawkins at USF. Dunleavy at Tulane. Cronin staying. It's nice to be kinda filling the cracks in the AAC.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Anything that brings some interest to Tulane is good for the American. They had a game this year with under 1,000 in attendance.

They had multiple games with less than 1,000 in attendance including UConn's game. I'm talking actual fans at the game not tickets sold.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Gotta love the fact the AAC is no way accepting the 2nd rate stature foisted upon it by the P-5.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I don't think this hire does anything.

He's in his mid-60's and he's never coached in college in any capacity.

What's he been doing for the last half-decade or so?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
A positive hire for sure
Who cares what he has done in the last decade
Lots of NBA exposure and that can't hurt when trying to persuade a kid who has the ability to get into the league
This guy has connections everywhere
Always thought his son Mike was a DB but name recognition is huge
They could do worse

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I don't think this hire does anything.

He's in his mid-60's and he's never coached in college in any capacity.

What's he been doing for the last half-decade or so?

It's light years ahead of Doug Gottlieb.

At least his son was busy staying relevant. Sales pith -> look what I did with my son.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
He's not Larry Brown - he's a journeyman NBA coach who hasn't been able to latch onto another gig.

I don't see this helping Tulane - it looks like one of those hires where you can't get at the in-demand younger coaches, so you opt for the used up old guy because you think you need a name at the press conference.

(Edit - the guy above referencing Hill at Fordham nailed it.)

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
Wow. Nice hire.

Edit- Sr. got excited and wrote the title wrong

jags.gif

most bizarre hire ever...

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
He's not Larry Brown - he's a journeyman NBA coach who hasn't been able to latch onto another gig.

I don't see this helping Tulane - it looks like one of those hires where you can't get at the in-demand younger coaches, so you opt for the used up old guy because you think you need a name at the press conference.

Sounds like UConn and Paul Pasqualoni.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

Its probably a good thing he isn't Larry Brown - he seems like an above level guy
and SMU didn't hire Brown for any part of that reason?
Dunleavy - NBA Coaching Record .461 Winning % reg season .535 Winning % playoff 1 Coach of the Year 4 teams in 17 yrs
Brown - NBA Coaching Record .535% Winning % reg season .518 Winning % playoff 1 Coach of the Year 9 teams in 27 years
BUT Brown is in the HOF so....................................

Reaction Score
As a Dunleavy myself this is a very exciting hire. Now I get to make a lot of jokes at family dinners after UConn torches him

Reaction Score
Its probably a good thing he isn't Larry Brown - he seems like an above level guy
and SMU didn't hire Brown for any part of that reason?
Dunleavy - NBA Coaching Record .461 Winning % reg season .535 Winning % playoff 1 Coach of the Year 4 teams in 17 yrs
Brown - NBA Coaching Record .535% Winning % reg season .518 Winning % playoff 1 Coach of the Year 9 teams in 27 years
BUT Brown is in the HOF so......
SMU hired Brown because he's one of the best basketball coaches ever. Are you seriously trying to compare Mike Dunleavy to Larry Brown in terms of basketball acumen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom