Tulane Hires Mike Dunleavy Sr. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Tulane Hires Mike Dunleavy Sr.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
They had multiple games with less than 1,000 in attendance including UConn's game. I'm talking actual fans at the game not tickets sold.
Come on, the official box score says nearly 2300. It was jumpin! :)
Game Information
4:30 PM PT,January 2, 2016
Coverage: CBSSN
Devlin Fieldhouse
  • New Orleans, Louisiana70195
  • Line: CONN -11.0
  • Over/Under: 136
Attendance: 2,243

62%
Capacity: 3,600

Reaction Score
What more can you expect at Tulane. At least it shows they're trying. If he gets them to the NIT level, or even CBI, it's a win for the league.

Athlete94

UCONNGRD
Reaction Score
It's Tulane,who gives a monkey's uncle. Sure can tell the Huskies are in off season now.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Tulane had some pretty decent teams when Perry Clark was head coach. His leaving for Miami was the downfall of both Tulane's program and Clark's career.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
He's not Larry Brown - he's a journeyman NBA coach who hasn't been able to latch onto another gig.

I don't see this helping Tulane - it looks like one of those hires where you can't get at the in-demand younger coaches, so you opt for the used up old guy because you think you need a name at the press conference.

(Edit - the guy above referencing Hill at Fordham nailed it.)
I don't see how this can hurt Tulane either though, considering they are Tulane University. It's not like they have a high mountain to fall off of.
Yes, he was a journeyman coach in the NBA, but it's so rare to find an NBA team with the same coach for more than like 7 years. I think the Spurs are the only team currently?
Dunleavy was an NBA Coach of the Year at one point, and coached multiple teams for multiple years each. The man can coach. If this were a better program, then it would certainly be a head-scratcher.

Reaction Score
Maybe Tulane is going to try to move on up. Shocked to see they have a 1.2 billion dollar endowment, when I think ours is more 450m.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Yes, he was a journeyman coach in the NBA, but it's so rare to find an NBA team with the same coach for more than like 7 years. I think the Spurs are the only team currently?
e

And Eric Spoelstra oddly enough.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Maybe Tulane is going to try to move on up. Shocked to see they have a 1.2 billion dollar endowment, when I think ours is more 450m.

Really? That's seems pretty low for a big up and coming state school.

Reaction Score
I don't know cuddly diddly about Bob Hill.

But Mike Dunleavy is no Bob Hill. And he's got a network that is relatively extensive. He's lineage of Frank McGuire & has National/NY depth. We can say ... They're Tulane. Tulane is saying ... Look at BOTH Kelvin Sampson & Larry Brown. They needed that. Bringing a newby Josh Pastner/Orlando Antigua seems like more of a prayer to me.

This comes down to Staff. Both Sampson & Brown won their good starts there.

Reaction Score
Really? That's seems pretty low for a big up and coming state school.

Which is low? Ours is 437m I rounded up to feel better. Yale has over 25 billion. A few years ago we were in 200's... But the state kicking in a billion every 10+ years is nice.
Tulane is private.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Which is low? Ours is 437m I rounded up to feel better. Yale has over 25 billion. A few years ago we were in 200's... But the state kicking in a billion every 10+ years is nice.
Tulane is private.

Ours is low. We are the big up and coming state school.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
And Eric Spoelstra oddly enough.
That's true forgot about him. The Heat are just always solid and I think that's more a result of Wade and Riley, and Spoelstra is kind of just there along for the ride. It's not like NBA coaches have a significant impact unless you're among the best 3-4 coaches.

Reaction Score
Wonder if Baker Dunleavy will leave Nova to coach with his dad

Jays RH man good call. Should be interesting to see after helping in the FF run. Guessing he can recruit too.

Reaction Score
That's true forgot about him. The Heat are just always solid and I think that's more a result of Wade and Riley, and Spoelstra is kind of just there along for the ride. It's not like NBA coaches have a significant impact unless you're among the best 3-4 coaches.
Brad Stevens for one has had a Yuuuuge impact

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Brad Stevens for one has had a Yuuuuge impact

I know it sounds crazy, but he might be in the 3-4 best coaches. What he's doing with the Celtics is pretty damn amazing.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
From the people who know, who has the better hire Pitt or Tulane?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Western Kentucky just hired Rick Stansbury which about 25,000 times better than what Tulane or Pitt managed.

Reaction Score
Gotta love the fact the AAC is no way accepting the 2nd rate stature foisted upon it by the P-5.

This. We might get out. But Tulane never will. So if all of the schools in the AAC that aren't us and Cincy raise the bar that is a great thing.

Reaction Score
This. We might get out. But Tulane never will. So if all of the schools in the AAC that aren't us and Cincy raise the bar that is a great thing.
The more noise schools in the league make, the harder it will be for the P5 to leave them behind. Houston football appears poised to become what WVU was in the old BE. They just need some company. The collapse of UCF is troubling, and surprising. Need more than just one elite team. The hires in basketball are encouraging, but the league will rise or fall on the performance of UConn, Cincy, Memphis, Temple, Houston, and SMU. Need to reach a point where all 6 are strong threats to make the tournament, with the top 3 threats to make deep runs most years. No other G5 league is in a position to do this.

Reaction Score
This is pretty simple.

You can't say this about Dunleavy a priori. Like Sampson & Larry Brown (both successes) ... You'll know all by about September.

In both Houston & SMU, they lined up outstanding assistants & grabbed 3-5 kids that have had 2-3 year impacts. Despite Dunleavy not having college bonafides, he could have just the juice needed like these two. Nope ... Bob Hill didn't. Couldn't. Wasn't. Not the guy you'd give to greater NYC. Nor Eddie Jordan. Let's see in 5 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom