Tristen Newton Declaring for Draft | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Tristen Newton Declaring for Draft

Reaction Score
Anyone else think Hurley told Tristen to go? Not that he is a problem, but because we have a lot of guys coming in and he already graduated and won a national championship. No inside knowledge, just a hunch. I personally hope he comes back.
My belief is that Hurley told Tristen he owes it to himself to find out where he stands with NBA people and at the very least get feedback. No harm in doing that so might as well take advantage of it. I don't believe Hurley would be pushing him out the door. That doesn't seem like Hurley, does it?

Reaction Score
I hope so. It could also show that he doesn't know what he needs most. They do have one slot no matter what, but do we need a PG? SG? SF? It is one of those for sure. They wanted Timberlake, possibly because he can fill a hybrid 2-3 role plus add some ball handling.
I think if Timberlake had come to Storrs, then I don’t believe that would have affected AJ or TN coming back. DH would have found a scholarship another way if needed.

Reaction Score
My belief is that Hurley told Tristen he owes it to himself to find out where he stands with NBA people and at the very least get feedback. No harm in doing that so might as well take advantage of it. I don't believe Hurley would be pushing him out the door. That doesn't seem like Hurley, does it?
Pushing out the guy who was your MVP of the national championship game would be incredibly stupid, Hurley isn't stupid.

Reaction Score
I would imagine that DH and every decent coach tells every player who has ANY possibility of playing pro ball to go and test the process. See what needs improvement, and then decide. If you go there and kill it and are drafted, then great. If not, you get a roadmap for the next one.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
So why did Alleyne go ?
Playing time I would guess. Despite his proven experience and statistics at VT (ACC) DH had a short leash on him the first half of the year. He was clutch down the stretch all the way. Great defender too. This hurts but we have 5 good recruits coming in and we have to have them getting some playing time.

Reaction Score

You also can get some high level training and feedback. Very little reason not to declare if you can get into some gyms with NBA players and coaches, even id you intend to return.

caw

Reaction Score
Is the G League Elite Camp the same thing as the G League combine?

Yes. G-league Camp is same as G-league combine. I think it’s actually officially G-league camp but I’ve seen it reported as G-league combine.

No. If he does well at the Camp, it could lead to an invite to the combine.

Also yes. G-league camp/combine could lead to an invite to the NBA combine.

Reaction Score
I'd like to see Tristen take on the open wing slot and manage secondary ball handling responsibilities, if He comes back. Working on that midrange and perfecting His shot in general should make Him a lock for some NBA roster. That move would open up the PG slot for the in coming players to develop in less meaningful games.

Reaction Score
I'd like to see Tristen take on the open wing slot and manage secondary ball handling responsibilities, if He comes back. Working on that midrange and perfecting His shot in general should make Him a lock for some NBA roster. That move would open up the PG slot for the in coming players to develop in less meaningful games.
Newton is a mismatch for most other point guards on both ends of the court. That's valuable. Plus keeping him at PG allows Castle to learn the position with a little less pressure on him.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Playing time I would guess. Despite his proven experience and statistics at VT (ACC) DH had a short leash on him the first half of the year. He was clutch down the stretch all the way. Great defender too. This hurts but we have 5 good recruits coming in and we have to have them getting some playing time.
I think the only problem with Alleyne was his size. He played great was listed at 6’4” and maybe that was accurate. He has a good size body so it helped, but I think he knew Hurley likes to be long at all positions and Stewart and Ross although freshman are much longer. Ultimately Hurley is continuing to toy with the roster construction. Ball was 6’2” when we signed him and I am guessing he will be listed at 6’4” next year as he did grow over the course of the school year.

Reaction Score
I think he should probably come back (I hope he does) but he doesn’t exactly love school so he may decide to take his chances in the g league next season (if that’s his other option).

Reaction Score
I can't see it. It doesn't fit with his MO to date.
No way!! He likely told him he should get feedback and decide after that. He owes it to himself-same as Andre.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
He became a different player second half of the year and will be extremely missed. If Jackson leaves I would’ve thought he would’ve slid into the starting 3 role

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
He became a different player second half of the year and will be extremely missed. If Jackson leaves I would’ve thought he would’ve slid into the starting 3 role
I guess now we will never know. He brought stability and very tough defense. I agree that he will be extremely missed. Leadership by way of his all around game and example is very difficult to replace. But I understand his dilemma and he has to go somewhere he can get more minutes. He fulfilled the role he was asked to play but I think he could have contributed more if he was given more of a chance in the first half. Anyway, it all worked getting the NC and he will thrive wherever he goes because that character and those skills are portable. "Can't keep a good man down." Good Luck Alleyne! We will always remember you.

Reaction Score
Without looking it up, what do you think is the last UConn player to average 20 points per game?
Rip did it. (x2)
Caron did it.
Kemba did it. (most recent)

I got those without looking them up, but then confirmed. :)

Reaction Score
Yes. G-league Camp is same as G-league combine. I think it’s actually officially G-league camp but I’ve seen it reported as G-league combine.

Also yes. G-league camp/combine could lead to an invite to the NBA combine.
that’s how tyrese got his contract

Reaction Score
Rip did it. (x2)
Caron did it.
Kemba did it. (most recent)

I got those without looking them up, but then confirmed. :)
Ray averaged 23, 6.5 , and 3.3
He actually passed the ball
Shot 46% from the three
Donyell averaged 25 and 8.9 and 1

Reaction Score
Ray averaged 23, 6.5 , and 3.3
He actually passed the ball
Shot 46% from the three
Donyell averaged 25 and 8.9 and 1
More was pointing out the people since Ray who have done it. Ray (and Donyell) were also phenomenal.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom