Tre Mitchell OV - This weekend | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Tre Mitchell OV - This weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
"Having us in their backyard is good for them"

I like it. Mitchell and Cross, start the pipeline!

Reaction Score
Isnt it crazy what a difference a year makes. Who woulda guessed wed be in a difficult situation picking out our own fab five?

Reaction Score
A commitment from Akok Akok and Mitchell would be big for the in state connections which we have been missing out on in the past. Prep basketball in the North East corner has blown up in the past few years and only getting stronger.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
How does this work with us going after Akok and Kofi?

Reaction Score
I believe Mitchell is still a ND lean but there’s a buzz about what Hurley is doing. It makes sense for Tre to at least kick the tires. He might just get blown away on his visit like others have.

Reaction Score
After watching a few Woodstock games on YouTube it seems like he’s extremely skilled but isn’t in college shape yet. Also doesn’t demand the ball in the post as aggressively as he should yet. All fixable things, the talent is there.

Reaction Score
How does this work with us going after Akok and Kofi?

I hope it's irrelevant. If a top 100 kid wants to commit you take him. I Hope the new staff isn't playing the waiting game on these top 30-ish kids like previous staff. Puts the program in a bad spot when they inevitably go to a UNC/Kentucky/Kansas in the spring.

Reaction Score
A Carlton Mitchell frontcourt is really slow and earthbound.

Idk how you can say that about Carlton when all we did last season was miss 3 pointers and play keep away from our bigs... we haven’t seen what he can even do with a coachable staff. As for Tre we are competing for his commitment against the B10 and ACC so I wouldn’t say he’s slow and earthy.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
@Matrim55 When you say no way we take both Mitchell and Wahab, is that from their perspective, ours, or both?
Ours for sure, but probably both.

I know Tom Moore indicated that we wanted a player at each position. Do we know factually whether Mitchell sees his college position as a 4PF or 5Center?
Kids almost always see themselves as one position smaller than they actually are, so I assume he sees himself as a PF. But he's an undersized C who will destroy teams offensive in college, and IMO will struggle a bit defensively. If you can pair him with a shot-blocking 4 (Akak) that can be minimized a good bit, and they'd be a nice fit together in theory. You can also play him as a solo big if your perimeter defenders are killers.

He's definitely not a PF in the modern game, though.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
“He’s unbelievably skilled, terrific in the post, big strong body,” said Woodstock head coach Tony Bergeron. “And he shoots the heck out of the 3, as well. He’s an outstanding passer, slightly undersized for a center in the pros, but not for college. He’s got the chance to be a pro.”

Mitchell has no other visits slated after UConn, though Illinois and Wake Forest are pushing hard to get him on campus. Other programs like UCLA, Creighton, Wichita State and Auburn have recently entered the picture.

UConn men’s basketball team getting official visit from skilled big man Tre Mitchell this weekend

Reaction Score
He is a true power foward.. Not a strech 4.. He will excel offensively against strech 4’s in the block and rebounding.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Isnt it crazy what a difference a year makes. Who woulda guessed wed be in a difficult situation picking out our own fab five?

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. There's a very real chance we on a number, if not most, of these guys.

Reaction Score
This is why we hire guys like Hurley and pay them handsomely to make the tough calls.
I think Calhoun took Ollie because he committed first rather than wait on his then rumored top choice (Travis Best?). Based on how organized he is, it would seem Hurley has identified his top 2 or 3 choices at the 3, 4 and 5 and will pressure those visiting to get a commitment now rather than play the waiting game.
For example, if Cockburn is thinking he's a one or two year player is he that much better than Mitchell or Wahab who may well be four year players and help solidify the lineup during these growth years? Or do you bet the ranch that Cockburn is worth waiting for?

Reaction Score
A Carlton Mitchell frontcourt is really slow and earthbound.

Yes, but mix in a freak athlete or 2 and we're fine. I love that these guys can actually catch the ball, see the floor to make a kick out pass and make a layup or short jump hook though. I'm still traumatized by the Brimah era where our bigs always got stripped and couldn't catch or finish cleanly.

Reaction Score
Idk how you can say that about Carlton when all we did last season was miss 3 pointers and play keep away from our bigs... we haven’t seen what he can even do with a coachable staff. As for Tre we are competing for his commitment against the B10 and ACC so I wouldn’t say he’s slow and earthy.
Because he is, it's not an indictment on him as a player but he is just one of those bigs who is slow and earthbound. He has skills that can be cultivated to make him a good college big but he's not going to be beating people down the floor and catching alleyoops.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Because he is, it's not an indictment on him as a player but he is just one of those bigs who is slow and earthbound. He has skills that can be cultivated to make him a good college big but he's not going to be beating people down the floor and catching alleyoops.

There's no problem with that. If he's strong, can box out and rebound, and pass, then he can be really good. DeJuan Blair was no high flyer but he dominated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom