Transfer Portal - May 2023 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Transfer Portal - May 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Not sure if this was posted. Looks like Pitino picked up (bought) a big one:

At this point is Nahiem going to get the same minutes he got at UConn last year?

I mean, yea Dingle is a good/great portal pickup.

But his number come from playing at Penn in the Ivy League. No guarantee they will translate to the Big East.

Naheim had a prominent role on a good/decent ACC team and it took him the first 2 months to start playing well for us.

We’ll see how it shakes out in the fall/winter. I’ll be rooting for Naheim.

Reaction Score
I mean, yea Dingle is a good/great portal pickup.

But his number come from playing at Penn in the Ivy League. No guarantee they will translate to the Big East.

Naheim had a prominent role on a good/decent ACC team and it took him the first 2 months to start playing well for us.

We’ll see how it shakes out in the fall/winter. I’ll be rooting for Naheim.
Alleyne will still be in the mix to start. It's Pitino, they'll play 3 guards. 2 of Him, Taylor, and Jenkins will start alongside Dingle.

Reaction Score
The programs where this kind of NIL is occurring are cash and marketing cows for the universities. No Kansas student is going into debt because of their basketball program and there aren't many student athletes in money-losing programs getting big NIL deals.

I would also argue that if Dickenson et al. are getting that level of NIL, that by definition, IS their market value.
Kansas is a big net money loser with a lot of subsidies from regular students, as are most of the Power 5 schools. There are only 23 schools in the country whose departments are not self-sustaining. Not only does Kansas include student fees as AD revenue, but they also receive a $2m subsidy from the academic side, they count all brand licensing money as AD revenue, and the AD has a long running deficit always covered by the school.

The argument for doing this is school marketing and the boon for local businesses in town for games.

I'm just saying the people who benefit are not the students subsidizing it. There could be great reason to subsidize college sports, but it's the WHO is paying for it that I'm focusing on. If you want the businesses of Lawrence, KS to benefit, then great; take the tax proceeds from the revenue generated and fund the AD.

Kansas is in the middle of a huge athletics fundraising push for facilities. They received $90m from the state; they want to raise $250m privately. Schools in the B12 like Oklahoma State have used private money raised for stadiums as AD revenue, and then the college (not the AD) bonded out the cost of building facilities. An excellent sleight of hand.

The real problem for Kansas is the football team. $3.4m-$4m in ticket sales for several years until 2020 (I don't have latest numbers).

I would also say NIL is so new that you don't actually know if there will be a dropoff in athletics donations. My guess is that the people giving athletic donations are the same people providing the NIL funding, so there will be a drop off.

Reaction Score
Do you really believe Nick is worth over 5x to Kansas what Hunter was getting from Michigan? I don’t think anyone knows anything about what real offers are being made, unless they go public like Hunter did.

Can someone explain to me what the 5X offer can consist of? Is it shirt sales, is it Booster based appearances, Is a booster buying 5000 jerseys, etc.? What is a school doing to make a “+$10,000” offer versus the current school. How can this be guaranteed?

Reaction Score
Can someone explain to me what the 5X offer can consist of? Is it shirt sales, is it Booster based appearances, Is a booster buying 5000 jerseys, etc.? What is a school doing to make a “+$10,000” offer versus the current school. How can this be guaranteed?
No one can explain. It's completely opaque and any market value for most players is not based on their name, image or likeness but their perceived talent. If it was strictly "NIL", with the exception of a small few like Bronny James, there is virtually no market for these players.

Reaction Score
Las
Kansas is a big net money loser with a lot of subsidies from regular students, as are most of the Power 5 schools. There are only 23 schools in the country whose departments are not self-sustaining. Not only does Kansas include student fees as AD revenue, but they also receive a $2m subsidy from the academic side, they count all brand licensing money as AD revenue, and the AD has a long running deficit always covered by the school.

The argument for doing this is school marketing and the boon for local businesses in town for games.

I'm just saying the people who benefit are not the students subsidizing it. There could be great reason to subsidize college sports, but it's the WHO is paying for it that I'm focusing on. If you want the businesses of Lawrence, KS to benefit, then great; take the tax proceeds from the revenue generated and fund the AD.

Kansas is in the middle of a huge athletics fundraising push for facilities. They received $90m from the state; they want to raise $250m privately. Schools in the B12 like Oklahoma State have used private money raised for stadiums as AD revenue, and then the college (not the AD) bonded out the cost of building facilities. An excellent sleight of hand.

The real problem for Kansas is the football team. $3.4m-$4m in ticket sales for several years until 2020 (I don't have latest numbers).

I would also say NIL is so new that you don't actually know if there will be a dropoff in athletics donations. My guess is that the people giving athletic donations are the same people providing the NIL funding, so there will be a drop off.
Last paragraph is spot on. Definitely will be interesting to see if incremental or just accounting.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Ticket sales are way up for the football team. Finally got a coach and are a dark horse pick to win the Big 12 this year. Last year had the best attendance in a decade. No doubt they have some subsidy, but NIL doesn’t impact it.

Nobody is subsidizing NIL. Not schools or students. The kids are hired by local businesses or national ones, and have a contract to perform some marketing related service. A commercial, live events, whatever. For that they get paid. The reason KU guys keep getting Dodge cars is likely Dale Willey dealerships.

Reaction Score
Ticket sales are way up for the football team. Finally got a coach and are a dark horse pick to win the Big 12 this year. Last year had the best attendance in a decade. No doubt they have some subsidy, but NIL doesn’t impact it.

Nobody is subsidizing NIL. Not schools or students. The kids are hired by local businesses or national ones, and have a contract to perform some marketing related service. A commercial, live events, whatever. For that they get paid. The reason KU guys keep getting Dodge cars is likely Dale Willey dealerships.
As I wrote, I didn't say the schools pay for NIL. Talking about the entire situation of Kansas kids making 6 figures while the student body subsidizes their sport. I'm not picking on one school, to be clear. I was just looking for a school that isn't in the top 23 revenue wise.

Reaction Score
Another suitable guard to add for PG and SG depth:

9.1p, 3.2a, 1.4 3PM, 36.6 3P%, 83.7 FT%, 1.1s, just 1.5 TO

That stat-line is almost Alleyne-esque in terms of shooting efficiency and I like how he can play the 2 or 1. 6'3 180 from Cuse.

Can we get @kobe to weigh in on how this kid may do stepping up from a mid major conference to a major conference like the big east?

Reaction Score
I hate to be that guy, but I’m getting a little curious about the roster now considering that, if AJ and Tristen continue to get these workouts, especially in AJ’s case you wonder if he’s gonna make someone fall in love and give him a promise..

…and listen, if they both come back or go or one or the other, I could begrudge neither for that decision - but I mean… it’s almost June and we’re headed overseas in August right? We need a SG and a backup big, and the portal is still full but we just haven’t been attached to… anyone?

Who are the targets that “we” are interested in? Obviously that North Dakota unicorn is interesting but it doesn’t seem to make sense as a fit.. thoughts?

Reaction Score
I hate to be that guy, but I’m getting a little curious about the roster now considering that, if AJ and Tristen continue to get these workouts, especially in AJ’s case you wonder if he’s gonna make someone fall in love and give him a promise..

…and listen, if they both come back or go or one or the other, I could begrudge neither for that decision - but I mean… it’s almost June and we’re headed overseas in August right? We need a SG and a backup big, and the portal is still full but we just haven’t been attached to… anyone?

Who are the targets that “we” are interested in? Obviously that North Dakota unicorn is interesting but it doesn’t seem to make sense as a fit.. thoughts?
I get the curiosity or uneasiness, but just because UConn hasn't been connected to any transfers it doesn't mean they are not connected. This staff, I would bet, is good at keeping things under wraps so to speak.

Reaction Score

Until Jackson and Newton are officially gone we're interested in nobody. The fact that we haven't reached out to anyone already should tell you the likelihood of both being gone

Reaction Score
I get the curiosity or uneasiness, but just because UConn hasn't been connected to any transfers it doesn't mean they are not connected. This staff, I would bet, is good at keeping things under wraps so to speak.
Plus Hurley has already said that they can't really take anyone until they see what situation a transfer would be coming into. So I don't know why some people on here keep worrying about it. As Hurley said, be patient.

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score

I understand completely but we gotta factor in that there’s kids in the portal that actually reached out to UConn and want to play at UConn. It goes both ways, especially after #5.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
Can we get @kobe to weigh in on how this kid may do stepping up from a mid major conference to a major conference like the big east?
he averaged 9 points per game in a tough league called the aac meaning he'll probably win big east poy.

as you may know, the current big east poy was a 10 point per game scorer in the a-10 and when he stepped down a level to the big east, he found great success.

Reaction Score
Until Jackson and Newton are officially gone we're interested in nobody. The fact that we haven't reached out to anyone already should tell you the likelihood of both being gone
Grad transfers can still transfer even if they didn’t enter the portal by the 11th right? I think that’s the case and that could be a route we go if one or both stay in the draft and people are worried about the portal drying up.

Reaction Score
he averaged 9 points per game in a tough league called the aac meaning he'll probably win big east poy.

as you may know, the current big east poy was a 10 point per game scorer in the a-10 and when he stepped down a level to the big east, he found great success.
After 9 points a game at Cincinnati I’d expect him to be going to duke or Carolina instead of in the A10 at st bonaventure. Guy must have really wanted out, for him to make a lateral move like that

Reaction Score
Woodson prefers bigger lineups and interior-based offense, so considering Mgbako's shooting abilities, the 6'8 210er will probably play SF while the 6'9 235 Reneau and 7'0 210 Ware will start the other frontcourt positions.
I hear this all the time from Big 10 people but if that is true than a lot has changed since he was the Knick coach and he won 50 games with a modern 4 out lineup.

Reaction Score

Keep the faith Kobe…..eventually the tourney will expand to 256 teams

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

So basically you're saying the AAC is the equivalent to the A-10? Makes sense to me, but I really don't follow the low major conferences.

Reaction Score
I hear this all the time from Big 10 people but if that is true than a lot has changed since he was the Knick coach and he won 50 games with a modern 4 out lineup.
Ware and Mgbako can shoot despite being big. So they'll still probably play 4-out, with Reneau being a bit of a high IQ garbage man. I like the fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom