Transfer Portal - May 2023 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Transfer Portal - May 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Somebody (maybe @kansashusky) called it correctly. With Hunter Dickinson, KU has now lost both the Sophomore bigs they had. I think that's a real problem. Whole team is going to come from the portal at this point. Udeh is going to be a great pickup for somebody.

Reaction Score
May have already been posted somewhere but - Hunter Dickinson implies NIL a factor in transfer to Kansas

"The people hating on me would leave their job right now for a $10,000 increase," Dickinson said. "I got, at Michigan, less than six figures. I got less than six figures at Michigan for the year."

"I still do love Michigan," he said. "I still love the school and everything. I love the program. That's why it was so hard to leave because I really didn't want to leave, I didn't. But I just felt like, man, it was the best decision for me. It took a lot of courage. I don't think people realize how much courage it took for a guy who was there for three years, an All-American for the team. I did have a legacy there and I basically gave that up to try to be selfish and do what's best for me and my career, not what's best for anybody else's career."

Dickinson said he strongly considered every school on his list. He called Kentucky a "risk" but said coach John Calipari's reputation of sending big men to the NBA was a factor. At Villanova, Dickinson said he loved its playing style and the "family" approach to the program.

Shhhh Hunter, you're not supposed to say that out loud ;)

Reaction Score
If I'm not mistaken, May 11th was the transfer portal deadline. We can officially welcome back Samson, Hassan, Karaban, DC, and Apostolos.

That may have been expected by most, but I was certainly at the edge of my seat hoping SJ would come back. His flexibility coming in at the 4/5 and playing 20+ is massive for next year's team. And its really easy to root hard for a guy who shows this sort of dedication to the program in the age of NIL/Transfer Portal.

Same goes for Hassan who would have carved out a larger role elsewhere. 'Yard appreciates you guys!

Reaction Score
What is the NBL? Numbers look great.
It's the top league in Australia. Perrott-Hunt is from New Zealand, so the interest to that league makes sense.
If I'm not mistaken, May 11th was the transfer portal deadline. We can officially welcome back Samson, Hassan, Karaban, DC, and Apostolos.
You are correct, except that grad transfers may continue to transfer and play immediately next season.

Reaction Score
May have already been posted somewhere but - Hunter Dickinson implies NIL a factor in transfer to Kansas

"The people hating on me would leave their job right now for a $10,000 increase," Dickinson said. "I got, at Michigan, less than six figures. I got less than six figures at Michigan for the year."

"I still do love Michigan," he said. "I still love the school and everything. I love the program. That's why it was so hard to leave because I really didn't want to leave, I didn't. But I just felt like, man, it was the best decision for me. It took a lot of courage. I don't think people realize how much courage it took for a guy who was there for three years, an All-American for the team. I did have a legacy there and I basically gave that up to try to be selfish and do what's best for me and my career, not what's best for anybody else's career."

Dickinson said he strongly considered every school on his list. He called Kentucky a "risk" but said coach John Calipari's reputation of sending big men to the NBA was a factor. At Villanova, Dickinson said he loved its playing style and the "family" approach to the program.

As awful as his announcement video was, I respect that he’s one of the few that seem to be honest about the decision. I’d have done the same thing if I was in his shoes and these numbers are accurate.

Reaction Score

If MICHIGAN isn't able to promise over six-figures to a kid, I can't imagine the pittance the UConn is offering in comparison. I knew we couldn't beat out the 500k that Kansas offered Timberlake, but I'm wondering if we have much of an NIL leg to stand on versus UK/KU/UNC at this point.

And FWIW, I don't blame the kid for taking the bag. He doesn't have an NBA future with a hue payday, so maximizing his earning now makes perfect sense. Don't hate the player, hate the game.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
If MICHIGAN isn't able to promise over six-figures to a kid, I can't imagine the pittance the UConn is offering in comparison. I knew we couldn't beat out the 500k that Kansas offered Timberlake, but I'm wondering if we have much of an NIL leg to stand on versus UK/KU/UNC at this point.

And FWIW, I don't blame the kid for taking the bag. He doesn't have an NBA future with a hue payday, so maximizing his earning now makes perfect sense. Don't hate the player, hate the game.
It will be interesting to see how fans react when some of these acknowledged big money NIL transfers don't deliver on expectations. Now youre not just cheering or booing college kids, these guys are pros.

Reaction Score

I don't blame him either. Most of my career has been chasing more money/better positions, so I'll never fault someone else for doing the same

But I definitely wouldn't give an interview for a national news organization saying that I left my old company because my new company is giving me more money. That's something for friends and family only

My general assumption is that UConn can't come anywhere close to competing on the NIL stage to those schools. I think Hurley is interested in a certain attitude in his recruits and he wouldn't want to just throw money at them until they come even if he could

Reaction Score
But I definitely wouldn't give an interview for a national news organization saying that I left my old company because my new company is giving me more money. That's something for friends and family only
I wouldn’t shout it from the rooftops, but if someone is asking and the world basically already knows, it’s better than giving some BS lie about it. It’s like in the golf world where all these guys are coming up with these absurdly stupid reasons for why they went to LIV that no one buys, and then Harold Varner came out and said it was all about the money. People definitely respected him more for that.

Reaction Score
It makes sense for him to point out, "I got less than 6 figures at Michigan," and I know that's for only one year, but it's absurd for him to use that second part for emphasis, "I got less than 6 figures FOR THE YEAR." Yes, we know it's for the year. It makes it sound as though he's pleading poverty though I know he isn't.

These colleges are going to be up against it soon as they try to defend subsidies for the whole thing, with players making this kind of money.

Why are students going into debt subsidizing this?

Reaction Score
These colleges are going to be up against it soon as they try to defend subsidies for the whole thing, with players making this kind of money.

Why are students going into debt subsidizing this?
This is coming straight from donors, not from university funding. No students are going into debt from this. If NIL didn’t exist, these funds were not going to the universities’ general funds. It’s not a zero sum game between the two.

Reaction Score

And FWIW, I don't blame the kid for taking the bag. He doesn't have an NBA future with a hue payday, so 500k now makes perfect sense. Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Could it be Michigan just doesn't think he is worth more money? They can lose with him like this year or without him

Also where did you see he got 500k?

UConn runs measly steak dinners through compliance. Not necessarily a question specifically for you, but Is Kansas running 500 k bags through compliance? Or is Self the compliance department?

Reaction Score
Not sure if this was posted. Looks like Pitino picked up (bought) a big one:

At this point is Nahiem going to get the same minutes he got at UConn last year?

Yeah his decision never made sense.

Reaction Score
It will be interesting to see how fans react when some of these acknowledged big money NIL transfers don't deliver on expectations. Now youre not just cheering or booing college kids, these guys are pros.
It's gonna be very interesting when these teams that cost millions get knocked out in the second round. Only 4 teams make the final 4, believe it or not. Also, the language in some of these contracts is pretty ambiguous. Kids have been getting less than they expected already (up to $XXX.XX). There are going to be some lousy locker rooms while this is going on. And the fans will be especially pissed.

Also, imagine Timberlake has a slow start to the season. How are the guys playing ahead of him going to feel when they're getting paid a fraction of what he's getting ? There were reports of this happening last season at a few schools (forgive me, i cant find the articles right now).

As for Dickinson, taking the $ isnt exactly the "courageous" choice lol.

MJ1

Reaction Score
It's gonna be very interesting when these teams that cost millions get knocked out in the second round. Only 4 teams make the final 4, believe it or not. Also, the language in some of these contracts is pretty ambiguous. Kids have been getting less than they expected already (up to $XXX.XX). There are going to be some lousy locker rooms while this is going on. And the fans will be especially pissed.

Also, imagine Timberlake has a slow start to the season. How are the guys playing ahead of him going to feel when they're getting paid a fraction of what he's getting ? There were reports of this happening last season at a few schools (forgive me, i cant find the articles right now).

Correct, I believe it was first reported at the University of Miami.

Reaction Score

it was first reported at the University of Miami, like MJ1 stated below your post. Isaiah Wong was pissed and about to leave if his NIL deal didn't get adjusted as he saw transfers getting paid more than him even though he had "paid his dues" by working his way up the depth chart at Miami.

Your post, specifically the part I bolded, ties into a larger issue, for example like what happened at the University of Miami. Recruiting freshmen and transfers will not only be about skill assessment and how it compliments the rest of the roster and fills roster deficiencies. It will be about managing egos and assessing value or getting the most "bang for the buck". Shaka Smart made an interesting comment about why Marquette was 1 of only 5 schools that didn't have a transfer into their program for big NIL bucks. He stated, "how I am going to give some guy who just arrived here more money than the players here that have been here as freshmen from day 1 and built the foundation of this program?" Will Shaka eventually get an incoming transfer? Of course, but he will delicately balance this with the rest of his roster.

I think Danny Hurley has a similar mindset, too. Even though UConn had a few transfers, Hurley and staff are considering how the transfers mindset will fit and integrate with the current roster have been with the team since day 1 as freshmen.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Has been confirmed by people in the know (in DMs) that timberlake was given 500k by Kansas.
Do you really believe Nick is worth over 5x to Kansas what Hunter was getting from Michigan? I don’t think anyone knows anything about what real offers are being made, unless they go public like Hunter did.

Reaction Score
Do you really believe Nick is worth over 5x to Kansas what Hunter was getting from Michigan? I don’t think anyone knows anything about what real offers are being made, unless they go public like Hunter did.

I don't know anything about NIL and who can offer what. I do know the source that gave me the info is legit.

Reaction Score
This is coming straight from donors, not from university funding. No students are going into debt from this. If NIL didn’t exist, these funds were not going to the universities’ general funds. It’s not a zero sum game between the two.
I didn't say the money was coming from the school to the players.

But students are of course going into debt for this since student fees subsidize the whole shebang. And with players getting well above their market value, there's a total imbalance between the subsidy and the pay of fellow students.

Reaction Score
I didn't say the money was coming from the school to the players.

But students are of course going into debt for this since student fees subsidize the whole shebang. And with players getting well above their market value, there's a total imbalance between the subsidy and the pay of fellow students.
The programs where this kind of NIL is occurring are cash and marketing cows for the universities. No Kansas student is going into debt because of their basketball program and there aren't many student athletes in money-losing programs getting big NIL deals.

I would also argue that if Dickenson et al. are getting that level of NIL, that by definition, IS their market value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom