Transfer portal getting nuts | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Transfer portal getting nuts

Reaction Score
Would love to know how this all works with academic credits transferring. Assuming kids that transfer multiple times are probably not graduating.
The new NCAA proposal is to allow unlimited transfers to those in "good academic standing". Some ambiguity is built in as usual.

Folks need to relax on the new system. It's a new paradigm, and cannot be reconciled with NCAA noncompensated labor of the past. 98% of these guys are not going pro, and are financially better off maximizing their earnings potential now. These guys have agents now and Hurley's own agent told him not to publicly deny the Kentucky job! Extra covid years are throwing a wrench into things, players, coaches, programs and boosters having little experience in a new, less than transparent process are throwing a wrench into things. The market will work itself out in a few years, not without some heartbreak and idiocy, but I'm happy these guys can finally make a few bucks and have some agency in their pursuits. As for losing fans, that's naga, naga, not gonna happen. Content consumption increases every year and while fan behavior and content delivery may change, media value is increasing proportionally (except for NASCAR lol)

Reaction Score
The new NCAA proposal is to allow unlimited transfers to those in "good academic standing". Some ambiguity is built in as usual.

Folks need to relax on the new system. It's a new paradigm, and cannot be reconciled with NCAA noncompensated labor of the past. 98% of these guys are not going pro, and are financially better off maximizing their earnings potential now. These guys have agents now and Hurley's own agent told him not to publicly deny the Kentucky job! Extra covid years are throwing a wrench into things, players, coaches, programs and boosters having little experience in a new, less than transparent process are throwing a wrench into things. The market will work itself out in a few years, not without some heartbreak and idiocy, but I'm happy these guys can finally make a few bucks and have some agency in their pursuits. As for losing fans, that's naga, naga, not gonna happen. Content consumption increases every year and while fan behavior and content delivery may change, media value is increasing proportionally (except for NASCAR lol)
Yeah that's great but what about being afforded real economic opportunity by getting a college degree?

Reaction Score
Yeah that's great but what about being afforded real economic opportunity by getting a college degree?
So you would inhibit athletes from transferring based on motivation? No one's talking about reducing the abilities of nonathletes to transfer for any reason whatsoever. Seems extremely prejudicial.

People are contorting themselves all over the place because change is difficult, but inevitable.

Reaction Score
So you would inhibit athletes from transferring based on motivation? No one's talking about reducing the abilities of nonathletes to transfer for any reason whatsoever. Seems extremely prejudicial.

People are contorting themselves all over the place because change is difficult, but inevitable.
You're one of those people who's focusing on shiny trinkets rather than the real goal of college athletic scholarships.

Reaction Score
This is the next obvious step in “college” athletics.

Athletes will be allowed to play without taking classes. Their degree program will be them participating in whatever sport they play.

The way things are accelerating I give it three years at best before all remaining remnants of the college athletic model as we knew it disappears completely.

Enjoy these past two years because what we love about college basketball, and UConn basketball, will not exist.
You can't have a degree program though without a field, and there is no field in sports currently, and none will pop up overnight. You'll actually need some body of work, whether in books, exercise, training, something, anything, that would constitute a field. And the person offering these classes would have to have a degree in an adjacent field, or none of it happens at all. In other words, they can't give out degrees if there isn't a person with a degree to give them out. So, someone in an adjacent field would have to create an interdisciplinary program. I can only think of the literature of sports, or something to do with exercise science, the history of sports, sports and sociology, sports administration, these kind of things.

When it comes to imagining playing a sport, though, I'm stumped in trying to find an adjacent field. What would it be? Maybe something like Dance & Sport? But dance requires all sorts of study which just recreates the same problem I'm mentioning above.

Reaction Score
Would love to know how this all works with academic credits transferring. Assuming kids that transfer multiple times are probably not graduating.
100% correct, it's not happening unless they already have a degree and come in as grad students.

Reaction Score

People dissuade and inhibit regular students from transferring all the time. For one, credits infrequently transfer over, which is a form of inhibiting them, and two, the cost and extra classes creates a setback for them.

The only difference is when a regular student is a freshman, and in that case, they will probably only lose a semester by transferring.

Reaction Score
You don't want the kids in college. It's still extremely important for the overwhelming majority of players to get their degrees.
That was never happening before, but the national degree rate for all students is around 60% anyway. If you're transferring beyond your freshman year, I'm assuming you're almost certainly not going to get a degree. Your eligibility will run out long before you get one. So will your funding. It is less likely that you get your degree than it used to be. And the high schools and colleges don't make it any easier.

Reaction Score
You can't have a degree program though without a field, and there is no field in sports currently, and none will pop up overnight. You'll actually need some body of work, whether in books, exercise, training, something, anything, that would constitute a field. And the person offering these classes would have to have a degree in an adjacent field, or none of it happens at all. In other words, they can't give out degrees if there isn't a person with a degree to give them out. So, someone in an adjacent field would have to create an interdisciplinary program. I can only think of the literature of sports, or something to do with exercise science, the history of sports, sports and sociology, sports administration, these kind of things.

When it comes to imagining playing a sport, though, I'm stumped in trying to find an adjacent field. What would it be? Maybe something like Dance & Sport? But dance requires all sorts of study which just recreates the same problem I'm mentioning above.
Ok then they won’t be enrolled students. They’ll be university employees. However it’s done, it won’t involve taking classes.

Reaction Score
Ok then they won’t be enrolled students. They’ll be university employees. However it’s done, it won’t involve taking classes.
And for those forward-looking types…in a few years when the transition is made to athletes being University employees instead of enrolled students there’ll no longer be a limit on how many years an employee can play on a university team.

The only league that’ll be left standing, unscathed, at the end of the college sport apocalypse will be the Ivy League. The conference whom started the whole notion of college sports in the first place.

Reaction Score
It's the pareto effect or the Jack Welch theory of management. Need to turn the bottom 20% each year. That's kind of what this is. By bottom 20% I mean unhappy, underappreciated, underperforming etc, not necessarily poor performers.
Jack Welch was a steaming diaper load who probably cost his shareholders $billions through his incompetent management. If he had a theory, you can be pretty sure it was wrong.

What this actually is--along with NIL--is a beginning step toward a fairer system for the players. They should all be free agents and they should all get paid, and no martinet coach should be able to restrict that.

Of course this will make the sport look different to the old timers--I'm one of those. Maybe some of the rabid rooting interest will go away, and maybe the massive returns generated by college sports will decrease. But up to now, the only people making any real money are the broadcasters and the head coaches. So who gives a fk?

We should be on the side of labor, always. Even when it comes to well-paid pro athletes.

Reaction Score
I mean, why not just make them team employees.

Reaction Score
Oakland went 1-1 in the tournament. Not a run.
My point is a mid major program can't cultivate a team over the course of a couple years anymore. Their top players will get poached

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom