Transfer Idea..... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Transfer Idea.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Jenna Brown to Notre Dame more recently. I think Maya Dodson (also to ND) was also after Carrington. I'm pretty sure all had earned their undergraduate degree prior to leaving Stanford.
As I understand it Tara had no scholarship available for Carrington. She got injured early in her senior season and was never able to return to the court. Stanford had one open scholarship that purportedly had been promised to Anna Wilson. Carrington graduated and grad transferred to Baylor.

5'7" Guard Jana Van Gytenbeek transferred from Stanford to Baylor last year after her sophmore season, forgoing the Stanford degree, and surprising many Stanford faithful. She averaged 13.6 min/game and 2.4 pts/game for the Bears this season. Probably not the break out year she expected after transferring.

Reaction Score
It seems if any transfers occur from Stanford chances are they go to Notre Dame. From what I gather Lili Thompson (2017), Jenna Brown (2022-23) and Maya Dodson (2021-22) all went to Notre Dame.

Reaction Score
I know it's crazy to believe but some people go to schools not just cause of basketball. A Stanford education plus near her family. Curry goes to her games too. Why would she move 3000 miles away

Reaction Score
If I recall correctly....the last Stanford player to transfer was DiJonai Carrington. She transferred to Baylor for the 20-21 season.

DiJonai Carrington is an American basketball player for the Connecticut Sun. She played college basketball for Stanford and later Baylor before being drafted by the Connecticut Sun in the 2021 WNBA draft. Wikipedia
Jenna Brown currently a back up Notre Dame guard transferred from Stanford as a graduate student........

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I was thinking the same thing. Unless it's to an Ivy school that may offer a specific major or graduate program. Either way, Stanford students generally don't transfer out.
Yeah but Stanford is different than most schools. Players that go there are there for that Stanford diploma first, and basketball second.
Not many but these did.
Jenna Brown (ND)
Jana Van Gytenbeek (Baylor)
Maya Dodson (ND)
DiJonai Carrington (Baylor)
Estella Moschkau (Wisconsin)

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
5'7" Guard Jana Van Gytenbeek transferred from Stanford to Baylor last year after her sophmore season, forgoing the Stanford degree, and surprising many Stanford faithful. She averaged 13.6 min/game and 2.4 pts/game for the Bears this season. Probably not the break out year she expected after transferring.
Shoot, I totally forgot about her! Yeah, I thought she had potential.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
It seems if any transfers occur from Stanford chances are they go to Notre Dame. From what I gather Lili Thompson (2017), Jenna Brown (2022-23) and Maya Dodson (2021-22) all went to Notre Dame.
Add Marta Sneizek.

Reaction Score
From your mouth to God’s ears. But I highly doubt that would happen.
I was hoping Jones would consider using her 5th year and coming to her senses 4 years later by transferring to Storrs for the year. She can develop her outside shot and overall game. But it seems she’s heading to the W.
I wouldn’t mind Boston doing the same either. But I think she’s going to surprise everyone and stay another year in Columbia.

sun

Reaction Score
I have read that Stanford has not embraced the NIL... Paige and Azzi are making more money at UConn than they would get from the WNBA. Brink might want some of that.. She could also make more money playing as a pro in Russia.
Women athletes at Stanford are profiting from individual NIL's if not from collectives yet.
The March 6, 2023 article below discusses some details about it at Stanford.

Brink has garnered a valuation of $177,000, 11th highest in her sport, largely because of her 338,000 followers on social media. She said she has never been approached by a collective at Stanford.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
A more realistic target than Brink, in my opinion, would be Stephanie Soares, a 6-6 center for Iowa State who was injured in mid-season this year. Assuming that she is again healthy by next season, I think she could add more than any other realistic prospect -- if she is even interested in doing that.

Reaction Score
UCONN really doesn't need to recruit through the portal and I don't think they should. Every now and then you might have an emergency and you need to get a player fast and that is fine but when you do it every year your water down the commitment level you have for your recruits which in turn will reduce the commitment they have for the program.

I also think the players they recruit are just better. The longer they are in the program the more they learn about attention to detail and how to live with the expectations players are UCONN are saddled with by the fans.

Reaction Score
A more realistic target than Brink, in my opinion, would be Stephanie Soares, a 6-6 center for Iowa State who was injured in mid-season this year. Assuming that she is again healthy by next season, I think she could add more than any other realistic prospect -- if she is even interested in doing that.
JoePgh- - - Having watched a lot of Soares before her injury she is definitely one of the top players in Division I when healthy!
She can play any of 3 positions at 6'6", a 5, a 4, or a 3! Great skills for a legit big girl!

Reaction Score
JoePgh- - - Having watched a lot of Soares before her injury she is definitely one of the top players in Division I when healthy!
She can play any of 3 positions at 6'6", a 5, a 4, or a 3! Great skills for a legit big girl!

Mute point because

Iowa State forward/center Stephanie Soares will enter the 2023 WNBA Draft after the NCAA denied her waiver for an additional year of eligibility, the program announced Wednesday.

Reaction Score
Yeah but Stanford is different than most schools. Players that go there are there for that Stanford diploma first, and basketball second.
OK, I see the point, but IVY LEAGUE players transfer for a COVID YEAR (the IVY LEAGUE not
allowing a player to play more than 4 years, correct??). I don't see C Brink going anywhere, but
the roadmap is still there.

Reaction Score
I thought there was a boneyard rule that we could not mention transfers unless they were in the portal. Or is the rule we can not discuss UConn players who in our great wisdom we think should transfer.

Reaction Score
Okay, hear me out on this one.... Stanford went down in the round of 32. They are not known for having their skills truly developed while playing there. Stanford is losing some top seniors... but what if.... Cameron Brink were to Transfer to UCONN to be a Post player with Edwards. That would allow us to five Jana and Ice time to develop, which usually post/centers need that time to develop.... and then when Cameron and Edwards leave, they will be ready to take over as two of the post players to lead our team. We add Brink, who I think is friends with Paige... I can just see another championship in sight.
Wishful thinking on Brink, but she’s not going anywhere. If another senior grad transfer were available, that would essentially do the same as if Brink came over maybe not as talented but efficient

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
We just don't need to transfer in
I'm with you on this topic, as of today. I cannot contemplate anything beyond both the M&W teams in the regionals this weekend.

Putting aside the tribulations of this year's roster of losing 2 of 12 players before the season starts (and yes, for that stat, I'm not including Jana), would not have been as big of a deal, if they didn't also need to deal with a broken thumb, covid, sprained ankles, concussions, etc. However, in looking forward to 23-24, we have 13 players on the roster now, and 14 if Aubrey does return. Does Geno want 15? He's said in the past that if the limit was lower, it would spread the talent out.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
There were others, but I think if any Stanford players decide to transfer, they will transfer to Notre Dame because of the Academics. Notre Dame is also back to where with a couple of good players they are competitive to be a Final Four team on an annual basis.

Reaction Score

Nope........ She has no more eligibility.

Reaction Score
I thought there was a boneyard rule that we could not mention transfers unless they were in the portal. Or is the rule we can not discuss UConn players who in our great wisdom we think should transfer.
Exactly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr