Torvik Numbers since 1/17/2024 (Clingan's Return) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Torvik Numbers since 1/17/2024 (Clingan's Return)

Reaction Score
More I look into this, that’s actually how we were beaten the last time we had a defensive juggernaut in the middle (Thabeet).

Michigan State had 16 offensive rebounds that game. Which was almost double that of anyone else in the tournament. If Karaban comes out the gate not holding his own against Nelson, this might actually be a good game for double bigs.

In general, Alabama is an even better rebounding team than us (18th in the country to our 36th).
Well, to be fair, that team was offensively challenged in the halfcourt. This team ? Not so much

Reaction Score
Can't look at raw stats, UConn plays much slower than Alabama so the total numbers are always going to be lower. We're 13th in offensive rebounding percentage, we are an elite offensive rebounding team

View attachment 98705
The one that stand out to me is the last line. They commit a LOT of fouls. Holy cow.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I suspect that's at least partly due to long rebounds off all the threes they shoot.
Are people saying this because they understand it as a general basketball rule? Or are they just guessing?

The general rule is shots at the rim leads to offensive rebounds. Because your rim protector is out the play. That’s the actual rule behind generating offensive rebounds.

Reaction Score
Are people saying this because they understand it as a general basketball rule? Or are they just guessing?

The general rule is shots at the rim leads to offensive rebounds. Because your rim protector is out the play. That’s the actual rule behind generating offensive rebounds.
Long rebounds make it more of a 50/50 chance, because the position that your bigs get when boxing out doesn’t matter at that point. Also, the shooter can read well where the ball will come off.

Reaction Score
Look at their rebounding numbers. Not much difference between guards and bigs. Usually happens with lots of 3s because 3pt come off farther and faster from the rim.
Alabama Stats.jpg

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Long rebounds make it more of a 50/50 chance, because the position that your bigs get when boxing out doesn’t matter at that point. Also, the shooter can read well where the ball will come off.
That’s not how I learned it. It was always shots at the rim have higher chance at offensive rebounds. 3s lead to fast breaks for the other team because the rebound is long.

Which is part of the reason we ran Illinois out the gym when they started settling.

Reaction Score
That’s not how I learned it. It was always shots at the rim have higher chance at offensive rebounds. 3s lead to fast breaks for the other team because the rebound is long.

Which is part of the reason we ran Illinois out the gym when they started settling.
I mean just thinking of it logically, defenders are typically closer to the rim and offensive players are typically on the perimeter. Long rebounds make it more of a crapshoot.

Reaction Score

Shots at the rim have a higher chance of bigs getting the rebound, and usually that's the defense. Shots from 3 create a randomness because of how they bounce around. It's why you see the rebounds spread all over the place for Alabama, not just their bigs.

Reaction Score

It's hard to tell if you're serious.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I mean just thinking of it logically, defenders are typically closer to the rim and offensive players are typically on the perimeter. Long rebounds make it more of a crapshoot.
It’s like if someone beats a guy off the dribble and now your center has to contest. He’s out of the picture for a rebound. Making a weak side rebound likely and more probable.

It’s not a crapshoot, it’s actual strategy.

Reaction Score
It’s like if someone beats a guy off the dribble and now your center has to contest. He’s out of the picture for a rebound. Making a weak side rebound likely and more probable.

It’s not a crapshoot, it’s actual strategy.
I understand what you are saying, I just disagree. Others crash the boards as well when it’s a close shot, it’s not just that the weakside guy automatically gets it.

There’s no point to continue this argument. Long rebounds add a ton more variance, you may have been taught that missed close shots do, but that doesn’t make it correct.

Reaction Score
I suspect that's at least partly due to long rebounds off all the threes they shoot.
Pringle, Dioubate, and Wague are all great offensive rebounders (though the latter 2 are playing sparingly these days).

In general, it's not just the long rebounds. You know how UConn team defensive rebounds with our guards coming back in to help? Even if an opponent has position on one of our big guys, we have 2 other guys come in and try to just get in the way, swipe at the ball, and hope that 3v1 one of our guys comes up with it.... That's a lot harder to do when the floor is really spaced. And Alabama has the most spacing in the country.

Reaction Score
As of this moment no one is defending better than us. Number one for the eye test. Offense we‘re doing it without the 3 so far.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I understand what you are saying, I just disagree. Others crash the boards as well when it’s a close shot, it’s not just that the weakside guy automatically gets it.

There’s no point to continue this argument. Long rebounds add a ton more variance, you may have been taught that missed close shots do, but that doesn’t make it correct.
Here’s the actual data on it.

Like I said it’s a general rule. But here’s something that speaks y’all language that says the same thing.

Also, the person who taught me this has more basketball knowledge in his pinky than anybody on this board.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Don’t know why data needs to be pulled to understand if you take someone’s best rebounder out the play then that also makes it easier to get that rebounder.

I can’t tell if people just like disagreeing with me or are being serious. Giving me ptsd to the shooting dips.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I understand people are cautious and Alabama has hit 3s. But, seriously, look at how they've played against any halfway decent team not named UNC (who isn't nearly as well coached as we are). We're going to absolutely maul them.

"Oh, they shoot threes, so that is high variance and that's what we're afraid of."

No, they're undisciplined on offense and especially defense. We're going to run them ragged on the defensive end and demoralize them with layups and dunks. I also expect we'll start hitting 3s at some point.

It's another game we're going to be up 30 at some point.
doomed oh no GIF by THE NEXT STEP

Reaction Score
I haven’t watched them a ton but I don’t remember seeing a zone or some other junk defense from them. Feels like an awful idea for a team that is already pretty terrible defensively.
I have to amend this statement. Went back and watched a bit of the UNC game and they did pull out a 2-3 matchup zone. It was truly awful and got absolutely obliterated by UNC. I would strongly recommend to Mr. Oats that this defensive look should not see the light of day against UConn.

Reaction Score
That would make a lot of sense, and a high O-Reb rate would also make sense if they're getting out in transition a lot and getting their own misses of fast-break layups or 3s. I wonder if that would be mitigated by slowing the game down and keep them in halfcourt.

You don't box out Tyler Phommachanh get 3-point misses generally. That's all about feel and desire. Should be good for our high IQ guards.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom