Tori McCoy will sign on Monday | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Tori McCoy will sign on Monday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
McGuff and Mulkey took the same math class. You have 2 certain scholarships open next year and another possible. So you sign four and have the potential of signing a fifth. That type of carelessness frustrates the heck out of me. I just feel as though coaches should honor the scholarships. Like seriously, why do you need 15 players with three or four playing the same positions.

SN: As a coach what would possess you to sign a package deal. Yea, you get your star recruit, but also get a recruit you really didn't want. Now you have the possibility of the sisters parents trying to strong arm you into giving the lesser sister playing time, by threatening to have your prized recruit transfer. So your stuck between a rock and a hard place. That whole situation seems like hassle.
As Geno has said many times, they recruit the parents as much as they do the kid. If the parents seem like they are going to be a problem, they pass on the recruit. The current team members also give their input on recruits as well. That system has put 10 banners up in the rafters, so I can't criticize it.

Reaction Score
What else would you expect from the same university that suspended their star quarterback JT Barrett for the grand total of one game after he was arrested for drunk driving, underage drinking and endangerment? What are we teaching these athletes? Nada. There are pretty much no consequences and only a slap on the wrist for top athletes who are seen as essential to help their teams win.

I'm sure OSU has no problem with McGuff's sketchy behavior and dubious recruiting methods, as long as it results in wins.

Last edited:

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
McCoy immediately withdrew her commitment following the game. Just kidding!

Reaction Score
I forgot to mention Sierra Calhoun. I definitely forgot she transferred there too this summer. So that's five incoming and another potential that's just ridiculous.

Reaction Score
No respect loss with the McCoy father for asking for a scholarship for both his kids.
Much respect gained by the coaches (Dawn, Holly, Geno) who said no to the "package" deal.
Never had any respect in first for Kevin because of his selling out to Mitchell Family.
tOSU now over scholarship limit and must shed at least 2 players by my count.
Not buying the part of the McCoy story about the ability to play right away.
She would have averaged 30 Minutes per game with Lady Vols or Louisville as a freshmen.

I was looking at their roster last night and was wondering about that. tOSU have Muvunga, Cooper and Hart playing the 4 & 5. I guess McCoy will be the 4th big on the team.

HGN

Reaction Score
I was wondering why Geno made the trip to the McCoy home if he wasn't truly interested in Tori. Now I see why Geno did not offer McCoy.

I am even more proud of Geno than I was before. Solid ethics and morals.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Latest is Linnae Harper will end up at OSU. Don't know how they make room. Also don't see how she breaks into the starting lineup as it obvious OSU needs to get more size into the starting lineup.

Syracuse has also been on Linnae's list of schools.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Latest is Linnae Harper will end up at OSU. Don't know how they make room. Also don't see how she breaks into the starting lineup as it obvious OSU needs to get more size into the starting lineup.

Syracuse has also been on Linnae's list of schools.

They have two redshirt juniors. If neither is offered/takes a 5th year, Harper would make 15 for next year.

Reaction Score
They have two redshirt juniors. If neither is offered/takes a 5th year, Harper would make 15 for next year.
They would be over the limit. They have two seniors two rs Juniors would have to free up three more scholarships. You have to account for Carretti, Lewis, Mavunga, both McCoy sisters, Calhoun, and then one for Harper.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
They would be over the limit. They have two seniors two rs Juniors would have to free up three more scholarships. You have to account for Carretti, Lewis, Mavunga, both McCoy sisters, Calhoun, and then one for Harper.

Mavunga and Calhoun are already included in the 15 this year. Two players graduate after this season and right now OSU is bringing in three 2016 recruits. McCoy's sister is class of 2017. So, one player projected to be on next year's roster will have to go to make room for 1 of the three '16 recruits and it'll likely be Beach. If Harper picks OSU, another player will need to go.

Reaction Score
I waited to post this until I heard this from someone other than Summitt posters so I will now mention Harper plans to visit Tennessee... and she has a close relationship with Elzy. We do seemingly have a good shot at Harper... If we are thin in the post next year I would expect to see smaller lineups/rotations and Harper would be quality depth for us. She is a great player... something I don't think she was able to showcase at Kentucky for whatever reason.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
What's the SEC rule on Intra Conference Transfers? Would she have to to sit out two years? If its only one year, if she doesn't enroll until January, is she eligible from the beginning of the year or in January?

I waited to post this until I heard this from someone other than Summitt posters so I will now mention Harper plans to visit Tennessee... and she has a close relationship with Elzy. We do seemingly have a good shot at Harper... If we are thin in the post next year I would expect to see smaller lineups/rotations and Harper would be quality depth for us. She is a great player... something I don't think she was able to showcase at Kentucky for whatever reason.

HGN

Reaction Score
Tennparker, it would be a good pickup for you if you guys could pull it off. You would weaken SEC rival while threatening yourselves. From what I have seen of her , she is a good , solid player.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Harper is not a great player. She doesn't shoot the ball well enough to be considered a great player. She's a tough rebounder for her size (5-8) and probably defends pretty well but her shooting last season (38% FGs and 24% 3FGs) was not very good. Maybe she's a better shooter than she showed at Kentucky but that's always been the negative in her game. She'll have unlimited time to work on her shooting now.

That would be an interesting pick-up for Holly and I wonder if it has something to do with swinging and missing completely on the 2016 class. Certainly an in-your-face move to Mitchell.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
As a coach what would possess you to sign a package deal. Yea, you get your star recruit, but also get a recruit you really didn't want. Now you have the possibility of the sisters parents trying to strong arm you into giving the lesser sister playing time, by threatening to have your prized recruit transfer. So your stuck between a rock and a hard place. That whole situation seems like hassle.
I suppose you can solve that problem by giving the parent a job on the staff. So now if the parent threatens to transfer the prized recruit if the lesser sibling doesn't get more playing time then that parent would essentially have to quit his job and give up two scholarships in the process. Nice job Kevin way to keep it all in the family!

Reaction Score
Harper is not a great player. She doesn't shoot the ball well enough to be considered a great player. She's a tough rebounder for her size (5-8) and probably defends pretty well but her shooting last season (38% FGs and 24% 3FGs) was not very good. Maybe she's a better shooter than she showed at Kentucky but that's always been the negative in her game. She'll have unlimited time to work on her shooting now.

That would be an interesting pick-up for Holly and I wonder if it has something to do with swinging and missing completely on the 2016 class. Certainly an in-your-face move to Mitchell.

I guess we all have different meanings for the word great. I'm not saying she is the best, elite or a shoe-in AA but yes, IMO, she is a great player. You have to be a great player to be a major contributor to a perennial top 25 team and have a long list of USA basketball accomplishments. I did mention that I thought her level of greatness was not showcased (very well at least) at Kentucky for whatever reason. My feeling is that because she was used at the 3 spot in a lackluster offense she was not utilized properly. Just my opinion. She is a 1 or 2 guard with pass first mentality. Her biggest strengths are rebounding from a guard position (she was an outstanding rebounder in high school as well) and her defense. She is easily one of the better defenders in WCBB from the 30 or so games I've seen her play. So yes, I see her as a great player but I should clarify that isn't my top classification of how I rate players.

She is also considering South Carolina from what I've heard. She has an unconditional release so there are no stipulations regarding her eligibility for the school she chooses, regardless if it is to SEC or not.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I guess we all have different meanings for the word great. I'm not saying she is the best, elite or a shoe-in AA but yes, IMO, she is a great player. You have to be a great player to be a major contributor to a perennial top 25 team and have a long list of USA basketball accomplishments. I did mention that I thought her level of greatness was not showcased (very well at least) at Kentucky for whatever reason. My feeling is that because she was used at the 3 spot in a lackluster offense she was not utilized properly. Just my opinion. She is a 1 or 2 guard with pass first mentality. Her biggest strengths are rebounding from a guard position (she was an outstanding rebounder in high school as well) and her defense. She is easily one of the better defenders in WCBB from the 30 or so games I've seen her play. So yes, I see her as a great player but I should clarify that isn't my top classification of how I rate players.

She is also considering South Carolina from what I've heard. She has an unconditional release so there are no stipulations regarding her eligibility for the school she chooses, regardless if it is to SEC or not.

Yes, you and I attach different meaning to the word great.

The problem with Harper has always been where to play her. I agree she's not a wing, but she's not a very good 2 or 1. She doesn't shoot the ball from the perimeter well enough to be a 2 (or 3) and she really hasn't shown the skills need to run the point (poor A/TO ratio).

I agree Harper is an excellent rebounder.

Reaction Score
Puh-leeze! You and many other "visiting" fans of Tennessee, SC, Louisville, Duke, Baylor, Rutgers and, now. California have been welcome to post here -- as it should be. This thread allowed some of us to have fun at your beloved school's expense. There was nothing vile or ugly or mean-spirited.

Now, you want childish? Read any thread about UConn on your message boards or -- better yet read how unwelcome any us are to post there.

And good luck to your LadyVols.. I hope they have an injury-free season. :)
Well I don't want childish so do you another option. I don't think there was a need to bring up another board and consider it to be mine when I'm not even apart of it.....anyhow I still think this thread turned out to be childish! O and I also hope UCONN has an injury free season as well. :)

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
BTW, Lady Vols and Syracuse are in the running for Harper. SEC does not require Harper to sit out an extra year if its an Intra Conference Transfer. Mitchell did give Harper an unconditional release. She can sign with any team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom