Top 5 Hype for Clingan (Givony) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Top 5 Hype for Clingan (Givony)

Incursio007

"Plus Ultra!"
Reaction Score
I see Castle developing into a bigger and better version of Marcus Smart --- a tenacious defender with a high IQ, who has a decent handle, can get to the rim consistently and will eventually become a decent 3-point threat. His passing ability has been underrated by some scouts, as he hasn't really showcased this component of his game much this season. I can also see why some compare him to a younger Jimmy Butler given his frame/style of play, as well as Jrue Holiday.

Clingan - it's really difficult to find a comparison. He's all of 7'2 [possibly 7'3] and quite athletic for someone his size. His offensive game is still limited but could certainly round out over time in the league. I am a believer in his ability to shoot from distance, it just isn't a part of UConn's usual gameplan. This draft class may be weak overall, but I think both our guys would be lottery, or at the very least mid-teens to early-twenties in practically any draft.

Reaction Score
I see Castle developing into a bigger and better version of Marcus Smart --- a tenacious defender with a high IQ, who has a decent handle, can get to the rim consistently and will eventually become a decent 3-point threat. His passing ability has been underrated by some scouts, as he hasn't really showcased this component of his game much this season. I can also see why some compare him to a younger Jimmy Butler given his frame/style of play, as well as Jrue Holiday.

Clingan - it's really difficult to find a comparison. He's all of 7'2 [possibly 7'3] and quite athletic for someone his size. His offensive game is still limited but could certainly round out over time in the league. I am a believer in his ability to shoot from distance, it just isn't a part of UConn's usual gameplan. This draft class may be weak overall, but I think both our guys would be lottery, or at the very least mid-teens to early-twenties in practically any draft.

There isn't really a good comp for Clingan right now. Bigs in the NBA have such diverse skillsets. At his ceiling, Clingan is going to pass well enough to get 3-4 APG, rebound 8-10 per game, and give you a ton of vertical spacing and 1-2 from deep per game.

Reaction Score
Ive been hearing a lot on draftnik pods/articles that clingan is 'not good on offense'. I swear they must not be watching the games and how he impacts the offense; he is an incredible screener with great feel of when to flip screens. This is an underrated part of unlocking elite offense, see bogut and what draymond learned to do when freeing up the splash brothers. Not only is Clingan a great screener, he has tremendous court vision and dexterity to throw on the money passes to cutters. Very similar to bogut + green as well.

Sure he is not jokic in the post with an array of moves and soft touch... but he's also not a complete zero on that end. He gets the ball thrown to him a bunch and has SOME moves. But the best part of his offense has nothing to do with individual shot making.

Reaction Score
Ive been hearing a lot on draftnik pods/articles that clingan is 'not good on offense'. I swear they must not be watching the games and how he impacts the offense; he is an incredible screener with great feel of when to flip screens. This is an underrated part of unlocking elite offense, see bogut and what draymond learned to do when freeing up the splash brothers. Not only is Clingan a great screener, he has tremendous court vision and dexterity to throw on the money passes to cutters. Very similar to bogut + green as well.

Sure he is not jokic in the post with an array of moves and soft touch... but he's also not a complete zero on that end. He gets the ball thrown to him a bunch and has SOME moves. But the best part of his offense has nothing to do with individual shot making.
Bogut is not a bad comparison.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Just not sure a big without a jumper makes sense that high. If a team thinks he can develop one then that’s a different story.
He has a great shooting stroke. We just haven’t needed it this season.

Can’t find it now, but someone posted a video of Clingan making 7 threes in a row during a pregame warm-up of one of the recent games.

Reaction Score
There isn't really a good comp for Clingan right now. Bigs in the NBA have such diverse skillsets. At his ceiling, Clingan is going to pass well enough to get 3-4 APG, rebound 8-10 per game, and give you a ton of vertical spacing and 1-2 from deep per game.

In terms of archetype (funny how seemingly every draft nerd loves this term) the easy comp is Walker Kessler. Gobert as well but he is probably the peak of the archetype. All 3 are incredible rim protectors but can only be effective in drop coverage. Clingan has more offensive upside because of his potential as a shooter. Honestly Kessler having as much success as he did from the jump made me rethink Clingan as a prospect.

Reaction Score

Can’t find it now, but someone posted a video of Clingan making 7 threes in a row during a pregame warm-up of one of the recent games.
Brook Lopez took 30 3’s his first 8 years in the league and in his 9th year took 387 and now makes a living hanging around the 3 point line.

Hurley has said Donovan has good touch from 3 but won’t let him shoot it on this team. Scouts and ex coaches sit in on practices and I’m sure they know what he’s capable of. Heck, the kid is only 20 years old. He’s going to have a long NBA career. The progress he’s made this year alone has been amazing.

Reaction Score

If Clingan was any threat to shoot he would’ve shown it more to make teams respect it. In reality it’s just not there yet and it would be hurting the team to have him shoot 3s

7 3s in a row from the same spot really isn’t that indicative of skill

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
All I'm going to say is that Andre Jackson became a 37.5% three point shooter after 1 summer of NBA training, and Clingan's shot fundamentals are 10x better than Andre's was at UConn last year

If the work ethic is there, and if an NBA team wants him to become a reliable (enough) shooter, he will be
All of our kids are very highly motivated. That's what they signed up for and the culture requires it.
Every day ----all the way.

Reaction Score
The Bleacher Report 2 round mock draft has the entire starting 5 being drafted.

Clignan - #5 to Portland
Castle - #7 to Memphis
Newton - #51 to Indiana
Karaban - #55 to Golden State
Spencer - #56 to Denver

Newton won't be 1st round due to age, but I could see him higher in the 2nd round. The question for UConn is whether Karaban thinks a 2-way contract is better than another year in Storrs. Spencer getting drafted would be a fairy tale ending to his college career.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
The Bleacher Report 2 round mock draft has the entire starting 5 being drafted.

Clignan - #5 to Portland
Castle - #7 to Memphis
Newton - #51 to Indiana
Karaban - #55 to Golden State
Spencer - #56 to Denver

Newton won't be 1st round due to age, but I could see him higher in the 2nd round. The question for UConn is whether Karaban thinks a 2-way contract is better than another year in Storrs. Spencer getting drafted would be a fairy tale ending to his college career.
Newton = Austin Reaves 2.0. Just needs a team to take a chance on him.

Reaction Score
And the fbook couch potato brigade is out in full force saying he should stay and he'll get "eaten alive" in the nba, lol.

Reaction Score
Castle's offensive game isn't NBA ready. This kid could be an easy top draft pick if he were to develop a consistent 3 point shot. And of course, him staying would be a game changer next year.

Reaction Score
Castle's offensive game isn't NBA ready. This kid could be an easy top draft pick if he were to develop a consistent 3 point shot. And of course, him staying would be a game changer next year.
The first round is full of 19 year olds who's games aren't "NBA ready". It is how the NBA works now. They are more than comfortable developing the 19 year old with potential. Some early picks are stars and others fizzle. Castle has all the attributes of a player that will blossom with full time coaching and natural maturity. 6'6" with a good handle, passing skills, stellar defensive skills, interior scoring strength, 80% free throws, good shooting form and a coachable attitude/demeanor is NBA gold.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Or he could just be a top draft pick this year

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I want to see the Spurs draft Castle. Pop may still have enough time left to do with SC's offense what he did with Kawhi Leonard and he and Wemby would be an insane combo.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom