Top 3 Things You Want To See Against Tennessee Tomorrow Night | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Top 3 Things You Want To See Against Tennessee Tomorrow Night

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
1. Unrelenting defense.....Many Tenn fans think that their team falls apart when pressed full court
2. Shoot when open
3. 80% foul shooting

Last edited:
Reaction Score
1. ONO gets some real competition (and responds positively)
2. Strong defense - UConn has let competition get a lot of open shots and dribble drives - shut them down.
3. Win. Sorry to be Captain Obvious, but every win is a good one.

This is going to be interesting, but I don't know if Key is as much of a match up some think. Watching her games since last season and I think Olivia is more physical in comparison.

I know I'll get roasted with skepticism from those who know the UConn program much better than me. I haven't seen her really dominate anyone this season. She also struggles with foul trouble.

Her last few games are the first where she's played more than 20 minutes, but her match ups haven't been against someone like Olivia. I think Olivia's mobility could be an issue for her.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
1) No injuries
2) Olivia playing well against better posts than she’s seen thus far
3) Nika playing well enough to not get yanked and yelled at

The stomping of Tennessee goes without saying.

Reaction Score
30+? Last year's game at UConn was a 15-point win. UConn trailed at halftime. I've yet to see evidence that this year's team is better than last year's team.
You mean Tennessee's team isn't better than last year's Tennessee team, right? Because this UCONN team is better.

This year's team is much more versatile both offensively and defensively than last year's team. I have no idea what the score will be but if point margin matters then didn't UCONN win more comfortably vs Seton Hall this year than last year?

And last year the game vs Memphis-- a rotten team - didn't UCONN struggle with point margin/ Memphis played them pretty close, didn't they?

I can't look up the scores so I'm not 100% certain and I'm old - my damn computer not working right. But I think the margin with Memphis wasn't high and the game vs Seton Hall this year vs last was higher this year.

But certainly there is some trepidation with this team until they play better overall teams. Maybe they aren't as good but they do look better to me. And-- , is this Tenn team better than last year's?

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
1. All the players remain healthy
2. The starters score 15+ points
3. Olivia stay out of foul trouble, and have a monster game
4. All the reserve players that play get on the scoreboard

*I had to add a fourth thing :).

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
You mean Tennessee's team isn't better than last year's Tennessee team, right? Because this UCONN team is better.

This year's team is much more versatile both offensively and defensively than last year's team. I have no idea what the score will be but if point margin matters then didn't UCONN win more comfortably vs Seton Hall this year than last year?

And last year the game vs Memphis-- a rotten team - didn't UCONN struggle with point margin/ Memphis played them pretty close, didn't they?

I can't look up the scores so I'm not 100% certain and I'm old - my damn computer not working right. But I think the margin with Memphis wasn't high and the game vs Seton Hall this year vs last was higher this year.

But certainly there is some trepidation with this team until they play better overall teams. Maybe they aren't as good but they do look better to me. And-- , is this Tenn team better than last year's?

Crystal didn’t play in last year’s SEton Hall game. I think Molly Bent started.

I have no idea how good this year’s UConn team is. Honestly, I’m hoping for a win. I see no evidence that this year’s team is capable of laying a 30-point beatdown on Tenn in Knoxville. Wins like that against good teams were during the Halcyon days of UConn basketball. We’re not there right now.

I think this year’s Tenn team is slightly better than last year’s team, though still with its flaws.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
A win!!! 20 point victory on their court.
All 5 starters in double figures
No injuries

Reaction Score
1.) A 30+ point win
2.) Evina scores 26
3.) Paige gets a triple double.
evil laugh

Reaction Score
1.) Sophs. have a great game.
2.) Team hits open shots and free throws.
3.) A win in a reasonably close game. A real challenge is what they need in preparation for SC and tournaments. So far the Big East isn't as "big" as I thought it would be, and SC is coming soon.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Yesterday - Da60 wrote: "I went on one of the Lady Vols sites earlier today. I couldn't believe the real hatred out there for our UConn team. There were many derogatory remarks about Coach...continually calling him 'Little Geno'....Some of their fans have a lot of hard feelings for things that have happened in prior years.

Since there will be fans allowed at Tenn., some remarks stated how difficult they want to make it for our UConn. girls. Real anger! I know that Geno will do his best to keep his young team calm and ready for this crap. I also hope that the game officials will be looking for 'chippiness" during the game".

THIS is why I can't understand why so many UConn fans want the series to continue. THEIR FANS HATE UCONN'S GUTS, their fans and anyone associated with them. I understand that others have a different point of view, but
I don't see any benefit to UConn to continuing to play them. Does UConn need the TV revenue from these games that bad? :confused: I certainly don't see any benefit for UConn to return to Tennessee's arena EVER, especially since "some remarks stated how difficult they want to make it for our team". If I'm the coach, why would I want to expose/subject my team to THAT kind of vitriol and constant verbal hostility? THAT dynamic alone would prevent me from EVER returning to Knoxville again.
What did they do to deserve that? Head bang Tennessee's players and coaches didn't get that kind of reception when they came to Hartford last year. The UConn fans that attended the game were courteous, respectful and acted like mature adults. Tennessee is part of UConn's storied legacy and past. That is where they belong and where they should stay.........in the past.

What am I missing here?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yesterday - Da60 wrote: "I went on one of the Lady Vols sites earlier today. I couldn't believe the real hatred out there for our UConn team. There were many derogatory remarks about Coach...continually calling him 'Little Geno'....Some of their fans have a lot of hard feelings for things that have happened in prior years.

Since there will be fans allowed at Tenn., some remarks stated how difficult they want to make it for our UConn. girls. Real anger! I know that Geno will do his best to keep his young team calm and ready for this crap. I also hope that the game officials will be looking for 'chippiness" during the game".

THIS is why I can't understand why so many UConn fans want the series to continue. THEIR FANS HATE UCONN'S GUTS, their fans and anyone associated with them. I don't see any benefit to UConn to continuing to play them. I certainly don't see any benefit for UConn to return to Tennessee's arena EVER, since "some remarks stated how difficult they want to make it for our team". If I'm the coach, why would I want to expose/subject my team to THAT kind of vitriol and constant verbal hostility? What did they do to deserve that? Head bang Tennessee's players didn't get that kind of reception when they came to Hartford for the game last year. The UConn fans that attended the game were courteous to them and the coaches.

Tennessee is part of UConn's storied legacy and past. That is where they belong and where they should stay..........in the past.

What am I missing?
Agree.

On their current TN vs UConn game thread, there are multiple posts discussing how they expect Evina to play "dirty."

What? Did she play dirty at TN? Not that I recall. I posted earlier that the TN fans are delusional and it goes WAY beyond a rivalry. Some of the "hate" from some of them is just awful. Never seen anything like it.

None of the UConn players had ANYTHING to do with what happened in the past, yet some of these people legitimately want harm to fall on these players. Disgusting and clearly no moderation on that forum.

You want a real shock (don't believe me, go look.) They have a thread about the loss to Georgia last week. If we spoke about our players how they spoke about theirs, there would be bans all over the place here, and rightly so. I was SHOCKED at names they called some of their players! Not even going to repeat that awfulness here.

I would be ashamed to be a VOL's fan right now to be honest.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I went on one of the Lady Vols sites earlier today. I couldn't believe the real hatred out there for our UConn team. There were many derogatory remarks about Coach...continually calling him 'Little Geno'....Some of their fans have a lot of hard feelings for things that have happened in prior years. Since there will be fans allowed at Tenn., some remarks stated how difficult they want to make it for our UConn. girls. Real anger! I know that Geno will do his best to keep his young team calm and ready for this crap. I also hope that the game officials will be looking for 'chippiness" during the game....hope that we are ready, since we have had so few games. Let's tune in and root...and WIN!

I was on the Volnation site 2 days ago. There are bunch of very angry people who post. Their comments are way past normal fandom. Of course many still and always will blame Geno for all of the problems and why the series was cancelled.

ESPN wants this "rivalry" resurrected. I am against it. The rivalry is gone. ESPN wants the eye balls.

I hope Harper has more class as a coach than to allow her players to get chippy.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Agree.

On their current TN vs UConn game thread, there are multiple posts discussing how they expect Evina to play "dirty."

What? Did she play dirty at TN? Not that I recall. I posted earlier that the TN fans are delusional and it goes WAY beyond a rivalry. Some of the "hate" from some of them is just awful. Never seen anything like it.

None of the UConn players had ANYTHING to do with what happened in the past, yet some of these people legitimately want harm to fall on these players. Disgusting and clearly no moderation on that forum.

You want a real shock (don't believe me, go look.) They have a thread about the loss to Georgia last week. If we spoke about our players how they spoke about theirs, there would be bans all over the place here, and rightly so. I was SHOCKED at names they called some of their players! Not even going to repeat that awfulness here.

I would be ashamed to be a VOL's fan right now to be honest.
But in spite of what you relate here, some fans still want to continue the series. Tennessee does not deserve the "PRIVILAGE" of an on-going series with us. It sounds to me like all it would do is to provide a vehicle for THEM to perpetually express and exhibit their hate for Geno and his program. As I have already mentioned, How does THAT help OUR players and OUR program? :confused: Playing any of the other top 25 programs would benefit our program and increase our RPI. ;)

Side note: I'm sure our girls we be pre-warned of things to come tonight. They will be instructed to not respond (or even look in the stands) in anyway to things they'll hear from the stands. THEY CANNOT HAVE RABBITT EARS TONIGHT. They must be/remain focused on what's before them on the floor, and nothing else.
My wish list for tonight:
1. A win for UConn.
2. EVERYONE leaves the arena like they came in......healthy with no injuries.
3. Evina plays well, turns in a double double, leads the team in scoring, and earns The Kibitzer's "Bad Ass" award for the game, and leaves that arena for the last time content and very satisfied that SHE got the last laugh. :p

Last edited:
Reaction Score

This UCONN team is much better than last year's if judging at the same number of games and has something last year's team didn't. Depth, and a lot of it. We also have a second true inside player in AE, and multiple players who can play point or the 2 and handle the ball and pass well. We have more team speed as well. We also have several good new defenders in Evina, Mir, AE and yes Nika who just needs to learn American defense better and of course Paige who can do it all. This is also not the same Aubrey as last year as several of us predicted over the summer and early fall. The last game was the tip of the iceberg for her. Please remember that we are behind several weeks in development due to several games being cancelled: some against important opponents whose games would have been revelatory. Tonight will tell us a lot I think. Expect the press early.

Reaction Score
1. I want to see ONO deliver in a game vs a legitimate Post defender and not some 5'11 kid like she has been matched up against.
2. I want to see either Williams or Westbrook step up and be a leader in a big game
3. I want to see the freshman(especially Bueckers and Edwards) not let the crowd and atmosphere get to them.
BONUS
I want to see Griffin have another solid game, I want her to become more consistent and be able to be counted on.

Reaction Score

THIS is why I can't understand why so many UConn fans want the series to continue. THEIR FANS HATE UCONN'S GUTS, their fans and anyone associated with them. I understand that others have a different point of view, but
I don't see any benefit to UConn to continuing to play them. Does UConn need the TV revenue from these games that bad? :confused: I certainly don't see any benefit for UConn to return to Tennessee's arena EVER, especially since "some remarks stated how difficult they want to make it for our team". If I'm the coach, why would I want to expose/subject my team to THAT kind of vitriol and constant verbal hostility? THAT dynamic alone would prevent me from EVER returning to Knoxville again.
What did they do to deserve that? Head bang Tennessee's players and coaches didn't get that kind of reception when they came to Hartford last year. The UConn fans that attended the game were courteous, respectful and acted like mature adults. Tennessee is part of UConn's storied legacy and past. That is where they belong and where they should stay.........in the past.

What am I missing here?
Just for giggles I went to Volnation and I didn't see anything especially hateful. In fact, many posts were reasonable and respectful. Interestingly, the majority of people on that site are picking UCONN to win.

Carnac

Reaction Score
1. I want to see ONO deliver in a game vs a legitimate Post defender and not some 5'11 kid like she has been matched up against.
2. I want to see either Williams or Westbrook step up and be a leader in a big game
3. I want to see the freshman(especially Bueckers and Edwards) not let the crowd and atmosphere get to them.
BONUS
I want to see Griffin have another solid game, I want her to become more consistent and be able to be counted on.
If I could, I'd give this post 100 likes!!! :) Welcome to the Boneyard Norman. Glad to have you.

Reaction Score
This UCONN team is much better than last year's if judging at the same number of games and has something last year's team didn't. Depth, and a lot of it. We also have a second true inside player in AE, and multiple players who can play point or the 2 and handle the ball and pass well. We have more team speed as well. We also have several good new defenders in Evina, Mir, AE and yes Nika who just needs to learn American defense better and of course Paige who can do it all. This is also not the same Aubrey as last year as several of us predicted over the summer and early fall. The last game was the tip of the iceberg for her. Please remember that we are behind several weeks in development due to several games being cancelled: some against important opponents whose games would have been revelatory. Tonight will tell us a lot I think. Expect the press early.
Yes I hope the Huskies press early .. at least some of the time, I would like to see a 2-2-1 press with Mir&Aubrey on top, and Paige&Evina in the back row [as interceptors] and Liv, of course, protecting the rim.
And yes BBall, we DO have excellent depth and can afford to foul but but still keep the pressure on.
This season, every team is "behind in development", eh? We are all in the same boat, so that factor cancels out.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Just for giggles I went to Volnation and I didn't see anything especially hateful. In fact, many posts were reasonable and respectful. Interestingly, the majority of people on that site are picking UCONN to win.
I’ll be very interested in reading an account of the overall fan reaction during the game from someone in attendance. I would like to read that there were no acts of verbal abuse or fan misconduct.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom