Tony Stubblefield Fired | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Tony Stubblefield Fired

Reaction Score
Is there a 3rd or 4th generation Meyer out there? Barring that, that program will never turn around. With all the cuts and closures of Catholic colleges and universities lately, I'm shocked they still have a program to be honest.

Providence, Creighton, Marquette, St. Johns, Georgetown, Xavier, Seton Hall, Villanova . . .

Reaction Score
FWIW (usually wishcasting)

Don't think Bryce Drew would take that job. He already tried the "jump up to a terrible program in a high-major conference" thing and it failed miserably. Got a good thing going at GCU

Reaction Score
I think the problems at DePaul goes way back to when they screwed the Chicago Public League. The area HS and prep school coaches don’t want to let their kids go there. If they cant get any good local kids they’ll certainly struggle for out of state talent. Would be good to hear from any Chicago land people that have some insight on this.

Reaction Score
Bobby Hurley is on the short list per Trilly.
Isn’t Arizona State going to the big 12? That’s reason enough to stay.

On top of that, living in Phoenix beats the crap out of Chicago in the winter time.

And he’d be coach at the worst team in the BE while his little brother is coach at the top dog in the BE.

Ain’t happening…

Reaction Score

On top of that, living in Phoenix beats the crap out of Chicago in the winter time.

And he’d be coach at the worst team in the BE while his little brother is coach at the top dog in the BE.

Ain’t happening…
The only reason I could see it is if he wanted to leave before he was fired. Seems like those rumors have quieted down though

Reaction Score

Ain’t happening…
It may not be his choice. He has to be about 50/50 to be fired depending on how the rest of the season goes.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Maybe Man from Oz was hiding a scoop, and it's gonna be Jerry Wainwright. He's only 76.

Or Archie Miller instead of Bobby Hurley.

Chris Mack?

What about a rotating succession of interims like they did on Jeopardy?

Reaction Score
Maybe Man from Oz was hiding a scoop, and it's gonna be Jerry Wainwright. He's only 76.

Or Archie Miller instead of Bobby Hurley.

Chris Mack?

What about a rotating succession of interims like they did on Jeopardy?
For some reason not clear to me I couldn't find much DePaul discussion on this topic, nor could I find much message board activity on any DePaul topic. At least not free. This guy suggested Chris Mack but he seems to be a Nova fan.

Reaction Score
I think the problems at DePaul goes way back to when they screwed the Chicago Public League. The area HS and prep school coaches don’t want to let their kids go there. If they cant get any good local kids they’ll certainly struggle for out of state talent. Would be good to hear from any Chicago land people that have some insight on this.
They won’t turn it around with hs players
Need a big money donor “buy”
From the portal and find someone who can
Actually coach the players
Finish 500 next year and then try to recruit
Top hs players
Any long term approach is not likely to work
Even if they were to find some under recruited
Hs player who was very successful a season of losing would put him
In the portal
Ideal coach is someone from a lower level has a good team and brings two or three of his players with them and then put that together with a few other transfers, and you have a shot

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Stubblefield is a great assistant that just wasn't cut out for the end of the bench.

If Depaul was able to mobilize even a small fraction of the huge Chicago business community to support the program, the program would be pretty good. Big city programs are going to have such an advantage in the NIL/Portal world.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
Official attendance was 2,889. I'd be surprised if half that many people were there in the 2nd half.

DePaul should be Chicago's premier college team. The potential is there. Why nobody has tapped into it since Joey Meyer got fired is beyond me.
IDK, either.

But if Dave Leito couldn't do it....

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
I have changed my mind and think DePaul should go after Josh Schertz of Indiana State.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Ron Hunter used to be a hot name, surprised he hasn't come up here. Is it because he's not a cultural fit? I know he's a southern guy. It seems like Tulane has been decent the last few years so I wouldn't think he's less attractive to schools. I admittedly don't follow the coaching circles all that closely so I could be way off here.

Reaction Score
Ron Hunter used to be a hot name, surprised he hasn't come up here. Is it because he's not a cultural fit? I know he's a southern guy. It seems like Tulane has been decent the last few years so I wouldn't think he's less attractive to schools. I admittedly don't follow the coaching circles all that closely so I could be way off here.
Ron Hunter is actually from Dayton didn't coach in the south until he moved from IUPUI to Georgia State in 2011.

Hunter is making ~ 1.06M at Tulane and according to this source which I cannot confirm is legit Stubblefield made 1.5M at DePaul, so I'd imagine whoever is the next coach will make 2M+.

I do really like Ron Hunter. Just a passionate guy who portrays a great personality.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Ron Hunter is actually from Dayton didn't coach in the south until he moved from IUPUI to Georgia State in 2011.

Hunter is making ~ 1.06M at Tulane and according to this source which I cannot confirm is legit Stubblefield made 1.5M at DePaul, so I'd imagine whoever is the next coach will make 2M+.

I do really like Ron Hunter. Just a passionate guy who portrays a great personality.

This is all I can think of when I hear the name "Ron Hunter"

chair-fail-fall.gif

Reaction Score
FWIW (usually wishcasting)

Can someone explain why Bobby Hurley would even consider Depaul? Arizona State isn't the best job but its significantly better than Depaul. This feels like saying UConn Football is targeting Bill Belichick and Nick Saban as the next head coach level of absurdity.

Reaction Score
Can someone explain why Bobby Hurley would even consider Depaul? Arizona State isn't the best job but its significantly better than Depaul. This feels like saying UConn is targeting Bill Belichick and Nick Saban as the next head coach level of absurdity.
Yep - Arizona State is a better job in an equal conference. No upside unless DePaul is sending a Brinks truck to his house.

Reaction Score
Can someone explain why Bobby Hurley would even consider Depaul? Arizona State isn't the best job but its significantly better than Depaul. This feels like saying UConn is targeting Bill Belichick and Nick Saban as the next head coach level of absurdity.
It's more like saying Atlanta or Washington is targeting Bill Belichick as their next coach. On the surface it's absurd, but when a marriage is about to end regardless, it becomes a possibility

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom