Tony Stubblefield Fired | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Tony Stubblefield Fired

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I'd actually to be totally open to that.

Wonder if DePaul would give Wade a biga$$ offer.
He can do it he’s a great coach. But has baggage but in a city like Chicago, everyone has baggage.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Wonder who would want to go there
IMG_1486.jpeg

Reaction Score
It is really rare for a CBB coach to get fired midseason short of personal misconduct issues. DePaul being 3-14 and like #250 in D-I might make an exception. They need a program-builder (or re-builder) badly.

Reaction Score
DePaul needs to find a way to be more competitive. I think Chicago would rally around the program a little bit if they had a reason to. DePaul has had 1 winning season and 18 losing seasons in the Big East. They've only had an overall positive record twice since 2005.

I really do feel like DePaul is a part of the Big East, and I don't love the idea of them going somewhere else, but being the doormat of the conference for so long is not helping the program anymore.
Go to the aac

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
The Meyers (Ray and Joey) didn't have much of a coaching tree. But of what little exists, I imagine they'll call Ty Corbin and see if he's interested in coming back to lead the program. He did get Utah to the NBA playoffs one year. He's an assistant for the Hornets currently and that doesn't seem a place anyone really wants to be.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
DePaul needs to find a way to be more competitive. I think Chicago would rally around the program a little bit if they had a reason to. DePaul has had 1 winning season and 18 losing seasons in the Big East. They've only had an overall positive record twice since 2005.

I really do feel like DePaul is a part of the Big East, and I don't love the idea of them going somewhere else, but being the doormat of the conference for so long is not helping the program anymore.
I lived in Chicago from 1993 until 2010. No one ever talked about DePaul. You have Northwestern right in the city and most of the South Side root for Illinois, Indiana or Notre Dame. When Notre Dame was part of the big east I would go to games there. It was usually a win and really good seats were easy to find. I just think there is just too much competition for them to gain anymore traction.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
It is really rare for a CBB coach to get fired midseason short of personal misconduct issues. DePaul being 3-14 and like #250 in D-I might make an exception. They need a program-builder (or re-builder) badly.
Welcome to the NIl era:

Step 1: fire head coach to generate booster/donor excitement.

Step 2: fundraiser the bag

Step 3: use the bag to attract the best coach

Step 4: give the coach the bag to go buy his team.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I don't think DePaul will be high enough in the pecking order to get Wade.
Yes, but things can change. They are in a good conference and had a very good but now ancient history. I took my son to the 1991 McD game that included Donyell, 4 of the Fab 5, Glenn Robinson and other notables. There were two DePaul recruits, Howard Nathan and Tom Kleinschmidt. The right coach can make it work (see James Calhoun replacing Dominic Perno). Are they willing to pay?

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
This has Tom Crean written all over it. I hope I’m wrong.

Will Wade should be call 1 (but he could probably get a better job, like Louisville).

Bobby Hurley would be fun, but doubt he’d want to coach against his brother (and Dan has mentioned he would hate to coach against him).

Reaction Score
Give Will Wade the job. Make DePaul a scummy program and get them to national relevance so I can visit for an away game and be entertained.
How much upside is there hiring a coach that’s willing to do some dirt in the era of NIL? Not sure it’s that much of a differentiator.

Reaction Score
He’s a good coach - he has McNeese State of the Southland conference 84th in the KenPom with a 13-2 overall record…
I’m not discounting that, just that his propensity to get fast and loose with NCAA rules probably won’t do much in this day and age.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
will wade would be an idiot to take the worst job in a conference full of poverty mid majors.

to me he’s gotta be candidate #1 at wvu. they already have a ridiculous nil budget and he can win right away without a crazy rebuild.

honestly he could probably get any job he wanted this cycle.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I lived in Chicago from 1993 until 2010. No one ever talked about DePaul. You have Northwestern right in the city and most of the South Side root for Illinois, Indiana or Notre Dame. When Notre Dame was part of the big east I would go to games there. It was usually a win and really good seats were easy to find. I just think there is just too much competition for them to gain anymore traction.

The question is, would people have been talking about them if they weren't trash?

I see them as being similar to St. John's. They're each technically the flagship program of a big city. There are some diehards and a lot of casuals who get Johnnies fever when the team is good. I have a bunch of friends from Queens who go years without saying anything about SJU and then, bam, Pitino's the coach and all of a sudden we're talking college basketball. SJU has been getting 12K attendance at MSG for BE games. That's not bad.

If DePaul hired a big name and lured some decent transfers, wouldn't basketball fans be interested? I realize DePaul and SJU aren't the same but there are striking similarities.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Why would he want to leave ASU for DePaul/Chicago, even if Danny wasn’t in the BE?
Why would DePaul want him? Better off calling Herb Sendek

Reaction Score
Welcome to the NIl era:

Step 1: fire head coach to generate booster/donor excitement.

Step 2: fundraiser the bag

Step 3: use the bag to attract the best coach

Step 4: give the coach the bag to go buy his team.
DePaul had an experienced head coach sitting on the bench (hired this year) so this was pretty easy to fire Stubblefield. As you stated, now you have the time to get the boosters (if they still have any) on board, the NIL lined up, really research potential hires, and then let the coach recruit a competitive roster.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom