Tim Boyle to UConn, per Dez | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Tim Boyle to UConn, per Dez

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

UConn9604

The only relevant data point that I can offer Mr. Lagow, Mr. Boyle or even Mr. Cochran is this. In 2005, we recruited two above-average running backs ("Recruit A" and "Recruit B") who grew up about 45 minutes from one another, while we already had the program's all-time leading rusher on the roster.

Recruit A stepped up and took the job from our all-time leading rusher in 2006, and earned All Big East honors. In 2007, with the all-time leading rusher out of the picture, Recruit A came into camp a little heavy and lost his job to Recruit B, who then was injured and lost his job to Recruit A again, as we won our first Big East Title. The following year, in 2008, Recruit C came along and stepped ahead of Recruit B as the backup to Recruit A, who left for the NFL after running for 2000 yards. Recruit B and Recruit C tag-teamed in 2009 as a major part of probably our most diverse offense since we went I-A, and then Recruit C took the reins in 2010 as we won another Big East title.

It goes without saying that Recruit A is our only megastar to date, Donald Brown, a first-round pick. Recruit C is Jordan Todman, another All American who is also in the NFL. And Recruit C is Andre Dixon, arguably one of the most beloved players in UConn history, who is likely to remain so forever.

I know that QB and RB are completely different positions and that you rarely play more than one at a time. However, my point is that there is definitely both room and demand for all of these players: there hasn't been a single year since Dan Orlovsky hung 'em up in which we have relied on only one QB. We're very, very likely to need more than one, not just in 2013 but also in 2014, 2015 and every year of their eligibility.

I say, bring it on, bring them all on, because if the competition looks anything like our RB competition from 2006-2010, we're all winners.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
We had a walk on from California starting for us two seasons ago.

Once you're here, you're a Husky and the best man will play period.

I hope Richard still wants to be a Husky because were all really excited to have big time Texas QB coming to Storrs.

The QB job could quite literally not be more wide open.

A Juco transfer in Whitmer who was ok.
Redshirt freshman in Cochran.
2 incoming freshman in Boyle and hopefully Lagow.

If Richard proves to be as good as advertised he could come in and be a 4 year starter.

Not sure how many other programs can offer that opportunity.

Best of luck either way.

Reaction Score
I've never head a kid say they WANT to redshirt year 1, even though most of them would probably be wise to do just that.quote]

Michael Vick is one. Frank Beamer had to assure his family that he would be redshirted as a freshman. And he was!

Reaction Score
Not trying to thread jack, but you're wrong.

Voskuhl was on the 99 championship team and Okafor was on the '04 team. Definitely not the same years.

I was gonna say. Not even close!

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Don't most programs bring in multiple QB's? I guess I don't see the issue here. If Weist has talked with Lagow and they like him a lot I don't see how he could feel left out. I'm really stoked to have Lagow play for UConn and I hope he follows through. I guess I just don't know what major program he would go to where he wouldn't have another QB, if not two other in his class?

I agree with someone who posted earlier that bringing in Boyle has less to do with Lagow and more to do with the perceived depth above them. Clearly they aren't confident in what they have and this situation is a perfect one for an incoming Frosh. A wide open QB competition against talent (Cochran and Boyle) that may be less experienced seeing how they played against lesser talent in CT.

Hope to see him commit tomorrow!!!

Reaction Score
We have had the Browns, the Cundiffs, the Boxes and the Niebrichs. One has to deduce that none were D1 caliber players. All of them broke records as High Schoolers, but never developed to the next level. Hey it happens.

I cannot believe that we would back ourselves into a corner and say that we are done recruiting QB's for the year after we took one, but who knows. We owe it to ourselves to take the most talented kids on the board and let them fight it out.

I highly doubt that Richard would be the odd man out. PP get paid $1.5 million per year. You have to figure that he can evaluate talent. If Richard is the best then he will play plain and simple. Happens at every University I would imagine. He will get as many reps as the next guy. They don't make many mistakes in evaluation I think.

Reaction Score
We certainly aren't stuck on a "local" kid. We are well aware that the competition level here is anything but great. We just want to win and mark our words we'd burn this place down if we thought a kid got a nod just cause he was local. Bottom line if us, ragtag collection of idiots can see that Richard will impose an iron will, Texas-style, certainly you know it too. We'll look for the NLI tomorrow, 7am central.

Reaction Score
I like our team upgrading as much as possible and keeping CT kids while doing it.

But I hope Richard Lagow realizes that he's as much a CT kid as any recruit who's going to sign on with us tomorrow. He's been a CT kid for the past 6-7 months... this whole board is pulling for him and I for one like the fact his dad posts here too.

I can see a lot of young kids in this state wearing a Lagow jersey on weekends in 3-4 years and beyond.

Let's cross our fingers...

By the way I feel strange typing that in a Boyle thread. It's like putting a turd in his punch bowl, not that he reads this stuff.

Reaction Score
I was gonna say. Not even close!
my bad. I thought two came from Texas when okafor signed but can't remember the other. Oh well back to thread

Reaction Score
If Lagow signs, I would expect him to win the job next year rather handily based on the level of competition. We've seen plenty of northeastern smurfs with gaudy HS stats come in and not show like a 1-A QB.

Lagow appears to have "it". He shouldn't be concerned about the competition. If he does the work he'll win the job.

What will really be interesting is if Casey.can push Chandler this spring. If not, then I'd be concerned about him transferring. Then this 2 QB class thing is kind of moot.

As JWB said, once recruiting is over, it's on to the next class. Everyone has to earn there spot. I like Richard's chances here regardless of the depth chart.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Sorry, I have to take issue with this post, especially the beginning. Unless you're talking about the 2014 season, the idea that a true freshman is going to step in and win the starting job "rather handily" is ridiculous.

Whitmer showed that he has a pretty good skill set, and he produced decently well even with a complete moron as an offensive coordinator and turnstiles for offensive linemen. The poor kid was running for his life back there half the time. I expect that he'll be much more effective next year as a starter in Weist's system which allows him to make quick and short or immediate throws, which plays more to his strengths.

U

UConn9604

But I hope Richard Lagow realizes that he's as much a CT kid as any recruit who's going to sign on with us tomorrow. He's been a CT kid for the past 6-7 months... this whole board is pulling for him and I for one like the fact his dad posts here too.

I can see a lot of young kids in this state wearing a Lagow jersey on weekends in 3-4 years and beyond.

I think Lagow signs tomorrow. I mean, he's spending the night before signing day tweeting Emily Noonan. Does that, or does that not, sound like someone who #bleedsblue?

Richard Lagow™✅@RichardLagow
@EmilyNoonan: UConn Women 6 points away from tying their 1st half scoring record. 62-17 at the half.” are they playing a highschool team?

Richard Lagow™✅@RichardLagow
@emilynoonan that's ridiculous lol

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Also, back when I was a student we had a tall kid from Texas playing bball, named Jake Voskhul. He even drove a big, jacked up white truck around - not exactly "low profile" or "local". But he was a UConn guy through and through.
White bronco with 10 gallon hat rack inside. Love it

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Guys, I definitely understand all the Lagow angst at this moment, but we should really try to keep this thread about Tim Boyle. Tim is a highly rated QB product that we should be happy has chosen UConn as his school of choice (or at least until the LOI says differently), and a thread with his name on it should reflect that we are appreciative of that choice. Welcome to the Dog Pound, Tim!!!

Reaction Score
I know we weren't Tim's first choice but he was mine to the point of misleading potential spies by putting down his abilities on this forum - although I think everyone here knew I wasn't serious. So welcome aboard Tim, finally!

Reaction Score
Guys, I definitely understand all the Lagow angst at this moment, but we should really try to keep this thread about Tim Boyle. Tim is a highly rated QB product that we should be happy has chosen UConn as his school of choice (or at least until the LOI says differently), and a thread with his name on it should reflect that we are appreciative of that choice. Welcome to the Dog Pound, Tim!!!
Agreed...i felt bad after I made my last post LOL....

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Agreed...i felt bad after I made my last post LOL....

No worries. I wasn't trying to call anyone out. I was just thinking to myself that this kid must be thinking, "Wow. I guess 'State U' doesn't want me after all. Maybe time to call about the offers from Syracuse, Pitt, and Florida."

Reaction Score
No worries. I wasn't trying to call anyone out. I was just thinking to myself that this kid must be thinking, "Wow. I guess 'State U' doesn't want me after all. Maybe time to call about the offers from Syracuse, Pitt, and Florida."

Then check his twitter.

Reaction Score
my bad. I thought two came from Texas when okafor signed but can't remember the other. Oh well back to thread

I believe Thabeet came from a prep school in TX as well. But that too was years after Okafor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom