Thoughts on the WWC? | The Boneyard

Thoughts on the WWC?

Reaction Score
USA still the favorites despite the injuries? What about England? Your thoughts? Full disclosure, I am under pressure to make a beer bet.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
It will be tough for the USA to 3-peat. Lots of injuries. However, England has some injuries too. Spain is missing quite a few players due to conflict between players and their FA. Not sure Sweden is as strong as they used to be. Canada is fighting with their FA for funds. Ummm, Japan and Australia might be good picks.

Reaction Score
The Euros seem to be moving forward partly because the English League is well resourced. What's a shame is how Mexico has failed to make the World Cup despite some pretty good soccer being played in the Liga MX Femenil. The constant coaching changes and lack of leadership has been a disaster.

Reaction Score
Sam Kerr out with calf muscle injury for an expected couple of games.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
USA, Canada and England should be clear favorites but the Australians could benefit from home cooking

Reaction Score
I did not watch the game but that New Zealand goal was impressive.

Reaction Score
I did not watch the game but that New Zealand goal was impressive.
A great save by the goalie stopped an impressive shot by Paige Riley ( I believe) as well. And Ria Percival sailed a shot over the crossbar on a penalty kick. New Zealand easily could have won 3-0.

I will be watching the US vs Vietnam tonight in a soccer bar close to me.

Reaction Score
The time difference is brutal. Luckily they’ve given the US market a nice 9pm game tonight and vs Netherlands.

Reaction Score
This game should be a walk over. I think I will let Midsomer Murder finish before I tune in.

Reaction Score
Well, back in the day, the USWNT could not beat a prep school boys team. The quality today 24 years later is much higher.

Reaction Score
Good match and finish this morning between Denmark and China. USWMNT looked sloppy last night but nice performance by Sophia Smith.

Reaction Score
Good match and finish this morning between Denmark and China. USWMNT looked sloppy last night but nice performance by Sophia Smith.
I was also impressed with Haiti. Particularly Dumornay.

Apparently the USA had not played that line-up before and it showed. And I was shocked to see Alex Morgan so lazy on the PK. She had a wide open net but instead paused to admire her shot which cost her the opportunity.

Reaction Score
I was also impressed with Haiti. Particularly Dumornay.

Apparently the USA had not played that line-up before and it showed. And I was shocked to see Alex Morgan so lazy on the PK. She had a wide open net but instead paused to admire her shot which cost her the opportunity.
I agree but Alex did have that nice flick to Sophia Smith for the first goal. I hope that it was just playing down to inferior competition, need to step it up against The Netherlands.

Some complain about the 12(Perth) to 16 (New Zealand) hour time difference from US but it works for night owls and early risers like myself on the East coast.

Reaction Score
China goalkeeper was weak. Should have saved the Denmark goal, easily. IMO, goalkeeper is the position that pales most by comparison to the men’s game.

Reaction Score
Well, back in the day, the USWNT could not beat a prep school boys team. The quality today 24 years later is much higher.

Well. They lost to the FC Dallas U-15s a couple years ago.

Reaction Score
Yeah, after seeing that performance last night I am inclined to believe that I have overstated the improvement. Btw, the training friendly I was referring was to the boys varsity of a Hartford area prep school.

Reaction Score
Yeah, after seeing that performance last night I am inclined to believe that I have overstated the improvement. Btw, the training friendly I was referring was to the boys varsity of a Hartford area prep school.

That’s just the way it is. Has nothing to do with the level of play.

The USWNT has to play U-15 Boys teams because there isn’t a women’s team here that can stack up. They play and lose to worse U-15 teams than FC Dallas.

This is like the 200th best men’s tennis player being able to beat the best Women’s player handily.

Reaction Score
In thinking about this for awhile I somehow doubt this. 14 year old kids? Those women really should not have much trouble with 14 year old boys. Are you sure about this?

Reaction Score
In thinking about this for awhile I somehow doubt this. 14 year old kids? Those women really should not have much trouble with 14 year old boys. Are you sure about this?
It’s pretty common. Brazil women lost to Queensland boys u15 last week.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Australia women's national team got destroyed by the Australia U15 boy's team a few years ago. Strength wise 13 year old boys and grown women are about the same. That being said, the technical ability of some of these women's teams at the world cup is very good.

Reaction Score

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom