The Way Too Early Gold Cup Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

The Way Too Early Gold Cup Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yea putting grass over turf never works very well. I've seen worse though. I think the field down in San Antonio in April was worse.

Didn't like Mix out on the left. Thought he did much better in the second half back in the middle. Thought Johannsson did a nice job. Don't like Bradley as the holding mid or as the attacking mid. But he's pretty good at the 8. Just leave Dempsey up top where he can score. Be nice if Bedoya could get back.

Anyway, with the group wrapped up, be interesting to see what Klinsmann will do. Give Dempsey, Bradley, Guzan a day off? Or put out his best 11 to get them some time together before the knockouts begin. I assume Panama will still be looking for some revenge from the snow game. And they probably still need a result to advance.

You still play Bradley. You want to keep him in the mix and stay sharp. Maybe sub him off early for someone who hasn't played much like Morales. Bedoya needs to get involved too.

I'd start Zardes up top instead of Altidore or with Altidore. Maybe sit Dempsey. It's kind of dilemma because you want to keep guys sharp, but you don't want to risk injury and the heat will be oppressive.

Reaction Score
I don't think it's hard at all. This will the US team's third game in a week, and after today they will hopefully play three more in 9 days. And they've already won the group.

You rest Bradley and Dempsey and Fabian. And probably Altidore as well (assuming that he's still the clear #1 up top option for JK no matter how much he's being beaten up on the internet these days).

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Costa Rica was the snow game. Panama may be looking for some revenge for the last minute come back we put together in the final CONCACAF Hex game that ultimately bumped them out and put Mexico in the World Cup.
Yea, just realized that as I was reading stuff over on ESPN. Geez, my mind is going. Panama and Costa Rica are at least both in Central America, right?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
This will make a couple of you guys happy and a couple unhappy. From the article I was reading on ESPN

With the U.S. playing Monday's game at Sporting Park, Sunday's press conference invariably turned to two Sporting Kansas City players, Matt Besler and Benny Feilhaber, who aren't currently on the roster.

The U.S. manager was more blunt as it related to Feilhaber, despite his stellar season so far. "Well, there is a simple answer. There are others ahead of him," he said.

http://www.espnfc.us/concacaf-gold-...a-have-plenty-of-history-and-need-for-revenge

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I don't think it's hard at all. This will the US team's third game in a week, and after today they will hopefully play three more in 9 days. And they've already won the group.

You rest Bradley and Dempsey and Fabian. And probably Altidore as well (assuming that he's still the clear #1 up top option for JK no matter how much he's being beaten up on the internet these days).
Didn't Fabian come in as a sub last game vs Haiti? Don't remember the time he came in but he was rested there, to an extent. Agree on resting Bradley and Dempsey. You just hate throwing off any rhythm they may have gotten by resting them. However, there's no point burning theit energy in this heat.

Reaction Score
Six games in a total of less than 21 days makes it easy. Any of your players who you know are going every minute the rest of the way you rest. Excluding central defenders or Guzan, who you can play or not as the don't run nearly the same distances.

We ought to be able to beat Panama in KC with our second string, but if we don't it really doesn't matter.

Reaction Score
This will make a couple of you guys happy and a couple unhappy. From the article I was reading on ESPN

With the U.S. playing Monday's game at Sporting Park, Sunday's press conference invariably turned to two Sporting Kansas City players, Matt Besler and Benny Feilhaber, who aren't currently on the roster.

The U.S. manager was more blunt as it related to Feilhaber, despite his stellar season so far. "Well, there is a simple answer. There are others ahead of him," he said.

http://www.espnfc.us/concacaf-gold-...a-have-plenty-of-history-and-need-for-revenge

Lot's of good info in that article.

As a non-defensive Center mid? Good grief, who would be ahead of him other than Bradley? Bedoya doesn't play centrally for the US. I can't figure out if Morales is #6 at all, but Feilhaber is better and played for better clubs in Europe than Morales has played for. Diskerud is so unimpressive. He passes the ball, but he puts it in really dumb places.

And who is Bradley's understudy? The only American center mid that has comparable dead ball skills, can play those penetrating through balls and can run for days is Feilhaber. If Bradley gets hurt then we're screwed. I like Jurgen a ton but he's wrong. And I am guessing that Benny and Jurgen don't get along, because there has to be more to it when you pass over a player in that kind of form. Same goes with Sascha K.

Another thing that scares me is our center back pairings. Against Honduras he put out two 22 year old kids. One speaks Spanish most of the time, the other speaks German. Both have potential but neither have experience. I think Jurgen should start Alvarado or Brooks, but don't put them together. I would put Alvarado with Ream or Gonzales with Brooks.

Reaction Score
Six games in a total of less than 21 days makes it easy. Any of your players who you know are going every minute the rest of the way you rest. Excluding central defenders or Guzan, who you can play or not as the don't run nearly the same distances.

We ought to be able to beat Panama in KC with our second string, but if we don't it really doesn't matter.

I think you have to play some of those key guys and sub them out, or sub them in. The team still needs to get into the flow. And they don't play again until Saturday.

Guzan said it best. You bring in all these players. Many of them old vets who haven't been in camp for almost a year. They all play in umpteen differerent leagues, in different systems. They only had one warmup game and not even a week of practice. I think you have to keep building on the form.

I also think Zardes IS NOT a midfielder. So I want to see him as a forward. The diamond looked great in Europe, but for some reason it's not coming together in the Gold Cup as of yet. Maybe we'll see 4-3-3 tonight with Zardes and Yedlin out wide and bumbling Jozy Altidore in the middle.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Clint is going to want to play. He has a streak going.

Jozy needs to play if JK plans on him continuing as a started. I'll be very impressed if he sits him though. The guys to play tonight are AJ and GZ up top for at least the first 45. He can sub freely after that. I also wouldn't mind AJ and CD giving it another go and straight sub GZ for either.

Guzan needs to work with the D, so he should start. I'd like to see the first choice back 4 for the knockout start tonight whomever that is.

I'd play Bradley for a half and sub in Mix for him as he is the closest thing to a backup for him that we have.

The rest really doesn't matter much. Beckerman will play the 6, and the wingers are all fairly interchangeable with Yedlin the best of the lot.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Any news on who might be added for the knockout round? I would be interested to see if they add a defender who can help that defense.

Do they drop players as well or just add to an enlarged roster?

Reaction Score
Any news on who might be added for the knockout round? I would be interested to see if they add a defender who can help that defense.

Do they drop players as well or just add to an enlarged roster?

They have to drop what they add. Up to six.

Reaction Score
Panama sure is ready to rumble tonight. US not so much and the officiating is just brutal to top it off. We looked shaky against pressure so they kept bringing it without response. Hoping for some changes in the second half. This was a depressing half of soccer down 0 - 1

Reaction Score
JK is going to have to bring in some new defenders, Brooks with his second yellow and Chandler looks like hell.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I keep hearing that Chandler looks like hell (I do not have the expertise to disagree, mind you), but he continues to start and play huge minutes for the US. Given that, I fret to think what the ability level of those behind him is if Klinsmann keeps calling his number.

One thing that I've noticed is that, by my eye-test, Zardes does not look up to the task. At least not tonight.

Reaction Score
I keep hearing that Chandler looks like hell (I do not have the expertise to disagree, mind you), but he continues to start and play huge minutes for the US. Given that, I fret to think what the ability level of those behind him is if Klinsmann keeps calling his number.

One thing that I've noticed is that, by my eye-test, Zardes does not look up to the task. At least not tonight.

The one thing I do like about Chandler is that he is not afraid to go forward and press the attack when he has space.

Reaction Score
Trying to figure out who is more clueless tonight - the US back line now with 3 yellow cards or the refs. Just an ugly game. More worried about suspensions for the next game (Brooks is already out) and injures at this stage.

Is it true that Panama demanded a last minute ref crew change at got it with no input from the opposing team (US)?

Reaction Score
And 1 second after that, Bedoya connects with Bradley who one hits it into the back of the Panama net.

Reaction Score
Thoughts on the line-up for the Quarterfinal game? Brooks is out due to yellow cards. Hoping that Bedoya is not injured. I really do not want to see Chandler nor Alvarado on the pitch based on their play so far.

GK: Guzan
4: Evans, Gonzalez, Ream, Johnson
1: Beckerman
3: Bedoya (Yeldin if he can't start), Bradley, Dempsey
2: Altidore (first 45, Zardes second 45), Johannsson

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Definitely want Guzan, Dempsey, Bradley, Johnson, Bedoya and Johannsson on the pitch. After that it's almost a toss-up.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I really do not want to see Chandler...on the pitch based on their play so far.

I asked last night who is behind Chandler. Either Klinsmann is in complete disagreement with you on Chandler's level of play so far or the Next Man Up is a folding chair.

Reaction Score

Zardes just seems to do better as a second-half sub. He just may not be ready to go the full 90 minutes.

Reaction Score
I decided to go to the game last night. That was my first chance to see some of those players in person and it's always illuminating. So I guess it was worth it.

Chandler, Brooks and Alvarado are terrible together. First half the defense was back on the north side where I was sitting. They were never organized. They never were in a straight line, and Tim Chandler is maddening. Honestly a traffic cone would defend better. Guzan was yelling at Chandler after that goal on the corner that was called back. Chandler just has a lazy demeanor, he just doesn't look switched on. I can't stand how he and Brooks just randomly decide to dribble forward. Just no discipline whatsoever.

Another player who was a non-factor was Alfredo Morales. Really, he should be the last player off the bench. Zardes and Wondo were kind of on an island in the first half. When Wondo got the ball, he would just make an errant pass out of bounds.

Basically in the first half we looked like a pub team, with no midfield to speak of.

Second half there was a big shift. Other than running really fast, Yedlin didn't seem to offer much. Dempsey however made a big impact. Since the US was attacking at my end it and the build up from the goal happened on my side right in front of me, I would say that it definitely looked like we tweaked the formation and went to a 4-3-3 with Bedoya, Dempsey and Zardes on the front line and Yedlin even pitching in as fourth attacker but he seemed to sit deeper than the other three until it was time for him to make one of his signature runs. Dempsey in particular pitched in on midfield play tracking back, starting the play and then surging forward.

You definitely got the sense the US was more talented, but the problem was like having a bunch of firepower but the organization wasn't there to capitalize on it.

It looks to me like Bedoya has come a long way since last summer. He's really impressive and he hadn't played a game in two months. Getting all those minutes in Ligue 1 seems to be paying off because last summer he looked pretty even with some of the MLS guys, but now he really looks to be on a different level and he is surprisingly quick.

Officiating of course was really frustrating. The officials fell for every dive and acting job. Panama is one of the worst for that, and Blas Perez is the biggest offender. We know him well from FC Dallas. Someone like Omar Gonzales or Matt Besler would have been way better at dealing with him since they play against him a good bit. John Brooks is a great athlete, but he lacks that defensive IQ, I guess he starts in the Bundesliga, for a really mediocre team, but I would say having him and Alvarado suspended for the next match is a real blessing. Bring on Omar and and Tim Ream!

So on twitter this morning it sounds like Jozy Altidore is being sent home, so it will be interesting to see who Klinsmann brings on as another attacker. I forgot who was on the the 35 man roster, I think Alan Gordon is one. But it wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't backfill that striker slot with another striker but brings in another center back. From the post match presser it sounded like he said that everything was on the table.

Other than Bedoya, Fabian Johnson is super. I would love it if we could use someone else at wingback and bring him into the midfield. But having him and Bedoya on the same side seemed to work well in the second half. Bedoya should be one of the wide midfielders heading into the knockout phase. No idea who should be on the other side. Yedlin makes nice runs but his final ball is crap.

Really it was kind of a piss poor performance. Hopefully it was just the heat and the game not really meaning much. I was glad Jurgen made those adjustments because we still wanted to win the game.

Other than that, how did the crowd look on TV? Attendance was only 18,300 something and the seats were mostly full. CONCACAF doesn't allow the stadium to utilize the standing room area, but if they could, it would have easily been 22,000.

Reaction Score
I asked last night who is behind Chandler. Either Klinsmann is in complete disagreement with you on Chandler's level of play so far or the Next Man Up is a folding chair.

Brad Evans is the guy, pretty sure Chandler is second string now.

Reaction Score
The one thing I do like about Chandler is that he is not afraid to go forward and press the attack when he has space.

And then he leaves everything exposed behind him. He's absolutely terrible. I guess he is somewhat highly regarded in the Bundesliga but when he puts a US kit on he is awful. Brooks and Chandler were getting smoked by scrub CONCACAF attackers, I think everyone around me wanted to kill both of them.

Brooks did have one nice slide tackle, the athletic prowess is there but I think if he plays after his suspension then he better have someone more experienced playing partnered with him. He's literally clueless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom