The Way Too Early Gold Cup Thread | Page 9 | The Boneyard

The Way Too Early Gold Cup Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
No grief here for Guzan? I say next.

First goal was a tip the hat to the Jamaican player. That was a 1 out of 100 shot...a glancing header while closely marked by a defender, that bends slightly and hits the upper right corner and in. Brooks could have done better on winning the header, but still... The second, the free kick is obviously on him, but man, thats a call you rarely see.

Other than that, we dominated possession, and created many more dangerous chances, and rendered Jaimaica's counter useless. Our biggest fault was not being able to convert our chances (while Jamaica did). I also thought we lost our momentum around the 85th minute and went to the long ball too quick. We basically did everything we weren't doing in the group stage, except win :)

Reaction Score
A complete farce and utter disgrace. Mark Geiger forced Mexico to win against their will.
s8ItBA5.jpg

"CONCACAF Thieves"
Panama (and even Costa Rica the game prior) absolutely got robbed. It was really terrible officiating all the way thru. Friggin disgraceful.

Reaction Score
All I have to say is, we should be scoring more than 1 goal against Jamaica anytime we play them.

Reaction Score
Jamaica only gave up 1 goal in each of their Copa America matches, Paraguay, Uruguay, and Argentina. We had a ton of chances and didnt convert, and that's on us, but they were well organized on the back line, and have proved it against stiff competition.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Armchair Analyst's take

"Continuity" is the great equalizer in team sports. To paraphrase the great Jon Chaney: Dribbling and shooting are individual skills. Passing is a team skill, and it's the one thing that really truly connects the players.

And as you play more with the guys around you, and do so in repeated and repeatable formations, passing gets better and crisper. Teams that stay together for a long while tend to do better than those that are always chopping and changing.

To that end, the XI Jurgen Klinsmann put out on Wednesday had never started a game together before. And the USMNT hadn't started a game in the 4-2-3-1 since... well, I looked hard, and didn't quite find the answer. It was a new lineup and newish formation that the group had to figure out on the fly, rather than something they'd worked toward together for months or years.

This is inconsistent with the stated goal of winning the GC being the priority. Maybe JK is thinking that no player should have a guaranteed spot and feel too comfortable, to try to get the most out of every player. Or he wants flexibility in formations so that it's not a predictable 4-4-2 every match, or whatever. Sometimes a manager can gamble and have it pay off and he looks like a genius, but more often it bites you in the rear. But at this point in his tenure, Klinsmann still looks like he's experimenting. Now, if we had a deeper roster, ideally with ~5 youngish guys in their prime playing consistently in Europe to sprinkle across the formation, yeah it's easy to stay away from experimentation. We don't have that, but the fact that there doesn't seem to be a consistent approach is puzzling.

Having said all that, the US didn't look egregiously bad last night, just didn't get it done and didn't have luck on their side.

Reaction Score
Jamaica only gave up 1 goal in each of their Copa America matches, Paraguay, Uruguay, and Argentina. We had a ton of chances and didnt convert, and that's on us, but they were well organized on the back line, and have proved it against stiff competition.

true, they are much improved, especially defensively, hopefully they stomp a mud hole in Mexico.

Reaction Score
First goal was a tip the hat to the Jamaican player. That was a 1 out of 100 shot...a glancing header while closely marked by a defender, that bends slightly and hits the upper right corner and in. Brooks could have done better on winning the header, but still... The second, the free kick is obviously on him, but man, thats a call you rarely see.

Other than that, we dominated possession, and created many more dangerous chances, and rendered Jaimaica's counter useless. Our biggest fault was not being able to convert our chances (while Jamaica did). I also thought we lost our momentum around the 85th minute and went to the long ball too quick. We basically did everything we weren't doing in the group stage, except win :)

I have seen World Cup games when the keeper clearly steps over the line making a punt and it is not called. Insane that it is called in this instance. When will the US get CONCANAF referees to treat them like they treat Mexico?

Hate off to Jamaica for the win. They gave it 100%, converted when given the chance, and took advantage of Jurgen Klinnsmann's stubbornness to keep Alvarado and Brooks together in the central backline. They have been shaky all tournament. The US needed some experience back there (Gonzalez should have replaced at least 1 of them).

Chances of the US beating the Gold Cup winner to get into the Confed Cup? Will the game be home, away, or neutral site?

Reaction Score
I have seen World Cup games when the keeper clearly steps over the line making a punt and it is not called. Insane that it is called in this instance. When will the US get CONCANAF referees to treat them like they treat Mexico?

Hate off to Jamaica for the win. They gave it 100%, converted when given the chance, and took advantage of Jurgen Klinnsmann's stubbornness to keep Alvarado and Brooks together in the central backline. They have been shaky all tournament. The US needed some experience back there (Gonzalez should have replaced at least 1 of them).

Chances of the US beating the Gold Cup winner to get into the Confed Cup? Will the game be home, away, or neutral site?

Looks like it will be a 1 game playoff in the US (venue not yet determined). Date is supposedly Friday October 9.
If it's against Mexico be SURE it will be at the Rose Bowl. Which really is advantage Mexico.

Source: http://www.starsandstripesfc.com/us...confederations-cup-playoff-usa-mexico-jamaica

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Mr. Conehead said:

I'd say a pick'em or slightly worse. The US was not thinking it would need to play itself into the Confed. Either it's Jamaica who just beat JK's preferred side and made them look slow doing so, or its Mexico and despite their recent swoon will always be a dangerous game for the US unless the dos a cero mojo is running strong.

The one thing in the US's favor against Jamaica is that two new center backs and a commitment to avoid the long balls would go a long ways to avoid a repeat. The last 20 minutes reeked of desperation and Jamaica had much better athletes to go for those balls. It was usually 3 on 1 and the lone US guy was often flat-footed or overpowered.

OTOH, when the ball moved quickly or when the US dribbled at the defense and dished before he was closed down, they carved up the Jamaican defense rather easily.

Yesterday, the attackers were caught in possession or weren't in the right position to receive.

Reaction Score
Looks like it will be a 1 game playoff in the US (venue not yet determined). Date is supposedly Friday October 9.
If it's against Mexico be SURE it will be at the Rose Bowl. Which really is advantage Mexico.

Source: http://www.starsandstripesfc.com/us...confederations-cup-playoff-usa-mexico-jamaica

Thanks. Though, if the US has any say, playing Mexico at home in October should guarantee that the game be played up north, in the cold (MetLife NYC, Gillette Boston, Lincoln Philly, Soldiers Chicago, etc.) as we know how much Mexico likes the cold and as Mexico always lets a lot of shi! happen when we have to play them at Azteca in Mexico city.

Based on how the calls have gone so far, any doubt that Mexico will not beat Jamaica on the pitch or at the penalty spot? I would love Jamaica football forever if they had the stones to threaten not to show-up to the game unless a neutral party of referees (say UEFA) was brought in to call the match.

Reaction Score
My guess is the game is Rose Bowl if Mexico and one of the Florida stadiums (Jacksonville, Tampa, Miami), or DC if Jamaica. Check the NFL home schedules for your answer. CONCACAF picks the location, but U.S. is fortunate to get the home soil (LA or Florida beats the hell out of Mexico City or Kingston). It's usually the winner of this years GC who plays in the CC, so US is playing with house money.

Reaction Score
My guess is the game is Rose Bowl if Mexico and one of the Florida stadiums (Jacksonville, Tampa, Miami), or DC if Jamaica. Check the NFL home schedules for your answer. CONCACAF picks the location, but U.S. is fortunate to get the home soil (LA or Florida beats the hell out of Mexico City or Kingston). It's usually the winner of this years GC who plays in the CC, so US is playing with house money.

I think the Rent is free that weekend...

Reaction Score
Well today sucked. They've got A LOT of work to do to get out of the Hex.

Reaction Score
Well today sucked. They've got A LOT of work to do to get out of the Hex.

So glad I had family visiting today because if I didn't, I may have driven down to catch the match at PPL in Chester. After that performance, my 9 year old would have had to drive me home as an alcohol induced coma would have been the only way to suffer through it.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I think maybe questioning JK in the past is starting to look valid?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
He needs to find a back line. Obviously needs to work on penalty kicks. Brooks was abused again, I don't care how good his physical skills are. Defending is about awareness and discipline. He lacks both. JK also needs to stop playing favorites with guys who are just happy to get called in. He wasted 60 minutes with Wondo on the field.

Reaction Score
That game was an abortion. I hope I never see wondo on another usmnt roster again. I can't think of one meaningful contribution he's made. Klinsmann has a few months to get it together for that playoff. Lose that and he'll have lost all of the goodwill earned from the last WC cycle.

Reaction Score
This team needs to learn how to score and finish, too many wasted opportunities every game.

Reaction Score
As expected...US v Mexico in The Rose Bowl. "CONCACAF confirmed late Sunday night that the venue for the match will be the Rose Bowl, where Mexico beat the USA 4-2 in the 2011 Gold Cup final."

Klinsman needs to get Cameron, and one of Gonzalez, Besler, or Ream ready to anchor the central defense. Alvarado and Brooks looked lost.

Reaction Score
As expected...US v Mexico in The Rose Bowl. "CONCACAF confirmed late Sunday night that the venue for the match will be the Rose Bowl, where Mexico beat the USA 4-2 in the 2011 Gold Cup final."

Klinsman needs to get Cameron, and one of Gonzalez, Besler, or Ream ready to anchor the central defense. Alvarado and Brooks looked lost.

Looks like St. Louis (Busch Stadium) is getting the first WC qualifier, also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom