The View From Section 241 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The View From Section 241

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Sounds like you and John are expecting personal delivery.

I'd like some programs at the gate when I go in - we were there before kickoff and there were no programs at any of the usual locations that they have had them in past seasons. Then they announce free posters after the game, we stay until the end of the 4th quarter and leave immediately, and there's no posters. Kind of a comment to say I'm expecting a "delivery" when I'm just looking in the usual locations for these items and they are nowhere to be found.

Reaction Score
I hate starting the season against these "cupcakes" simply because it's much harder to come to real conclusions. Week 1 usually isn't a true harbinger of the future for any team, but when your opponent is a lot weaker than you it's even more unclear.

I stayed up until 4 am CET watching this game and then got up a couple hours later to get on a plane so my memory is a little fuzzy.

Defense-couldn't have looked stronger. This wasn't a CAA offense that it was playing against, But it wasn't a Big East offense either. It's pretty clear that this will be the strong point of the team. Our CBs look bigtime to me. Gratz looked ridiculously athletic on that Pick 6. In a word, they were fun to watch.

Offense. I think Whitmer will end up being a pretty good QB for us, but right now I am a little scared. He can make the throws we need him to make, but he seems to have a judgement issue. I am just going to expect that he will throw one or two bad INTs a game. I just hope they happen at "good" times.

The Wildcat. With Whitmer being green, I am not sure the back and forth offense thing will be helpful in getting him into the groove. Quite frankly, I hate it. I wish we would pick one or the other.

I am convinced that the Wildcat is in there to mitigate the suspect pass blocking from the offensive line. McCummings can get us some first downs and he is capable. But if Whitmer was really ready and the Offensive line was too, then we would rarely see the Wildcat.

Businesslawyer is exactly right. In this game we have appeared to move away from our core competency of hat on hat husky football. We looked ineffective in rushing the football conventionally. Teams a few years ago would have physically punished a team like UMass.

Receivers. Another disturbing area. They seemed to make catches, but they weren't getting the seperation that one would hope for.

My too soon too tell early assessment is that this will be another year where we remain frustrated on offense. However, the good news is that defense and the special teams show make up for part of that with some opportunities.

Reaction Score
...and left too many points on the field, need to take better advantage with the opportunities presented. should have been in the 50s

pj

Reaction Score
I am just going to expect that he will throw one or two bad INTs a game. I just hope they happen at "good" times.

I more or less agree. I hope the offense practices tackling, and the receivers db skills.

Reaction Score
. The McCummings substitutions seemed out of place. I wonder if they might have been partially to for a smoke screen and partially for to get him reps. Same thing with the running game. They could have run McCombs all day long. There wasn't much point in showing how we'll do it or risking an injury.

As you point out, we'll know a lot more on the 9th.

There was no reason whatsoever to run the fleaflicker when we did if you were only considering beating UMass. Thus, unless you think DeLeone is an idiot, you have to think that was a "mind game" being played with the NC State staff. We showed the 2 QB set, and that play, for a reason. Reverse psychology? Double reverse psychology? Who ### knows. But it was done to make NC State think something.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
There was no reason whatsoever to run the fleaflicker when we did if you were only considering beating UMass. Thus, unless you think DeLeone is an idiot, you have to think that was a "mind game" being played with the NC State staff. We showed the 2 QB set, and that play, for a reason. Reverse psychology? Double reverse psychology? Who ### knows. But it was done to make NC State think something.

PP and DeLeone have played Tom O'Brien coached teams a fair amount. I'd have to think there's some gamesmanship going on here.

Reaction Score
PP and DeLeone have played Tom O'Brien coached teams a fair amount. I'd have to think there's some gamesmanship going on here.

Yes, the last match up was the famous 2004 game with BC needing one win to take the league. Cuse clobbered BC in their own building.

I don't think this will happen, but how funny would it be if we did not use the wildcat next week.

Reaction Score
On offense when Whitmer completes a big pass on third down I don't want to see the wildcat trot onto the field. Let's line up and get on a roll. quote]

This^^^^ Always seems the Wildcat comes in after a nice play by Whitmer. If it doesn't work then Whitmer comes in to clean up a mess he didn't make. And the whole stadium has a pretty good idea what those plays will be depending on down and distance. It also effects our ability to run the no huddle and two minute drills.

Are there examples out there where teams have had success using multiple QBs like this?

Reaction Score

Desmond Conner@desmondconner
#UConn Coach @PaulPasqualoni and #N.C.State's Tom O'Brien meet for the ninth time dating back to their careers at #SU and #BC, respectively

Reaction Score
Are there examples out there where teams have had success using multiple QBs like this?

Yes the 2008 Miami Dolphins went from last place to first place. P was the Defensive Coordinator for that team and DeLeone was the Tight Ends coach. The GM of that team was Bill Parcells.
220px-Jason_Taylor_Paul_Pasqualoni.jpg

Reaction Score

A guy named Paul Pasqualoni coached a team in 2001 that went 10-2 and split reps between a running QB and a throwing QB nearly 50/50 for the course of the season. Troy Nunes. and RJ Anderson. Anderson was the second leading rusher on the team.

These guys we've got running this team, have coached offenses that run and throw out of the QB position, for a long, long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom