The View From Section 241 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The View From Section 241

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
As my son was an O-lineman here and is very good friends with both Jimmy Bennett and Adam Masters I pay pretty close attention to it by force of habit. They moved many lineman in and out throughout the game I believe prior to garbage time(last 2 drives) I believe 8 different players in various combinations were used. Bennett and Friend played OT to start and when some substitutions were made on the interior( Cruz and Bullock came in OG and C respectively) Masters moved to OT. Samra played sparingly until the very end and on the last drives Gifford and Hemmingway were in as well.

That's pretty much exactly what I saw live, but I haven't watched it on TV yet, so wasn't sure, I thought I saw the starters coming out / rotating pretty early on in the game, in the first half, most definitely out and/or rotating positions on the line, pretty much possession to possesion by the second half. My hope is that, what we saw in Game 1, was very much scripted by DeLeone as a live fire evaluation and experience for the OL. I can't imagine that we're going to see that happen again this season. When I look at the game again, I'll get an idea of what kind of blocking schemes they were using, but I do think after the live viewing, that they ran basically the same running play, many, many times, against whatever front UMass put up there, and they did it with multiple different lineups.

To me, that would jive with everything I know about this coaching staff. Deleone wants every single one of those linemen to be able to look at a defensive front, match it up to the play call and adjust whatever they need to, and not just know their own assignment, but everyone else's too.

BUt we need 5 guys up front to get out there and start dictating the offense to the defenses we face, not the other way around. That requires consistency for sure. I highly doubt we;ll see anyting like the OL rotation we saw last night from the big guys up front next Saturday.

Reaction Score
Yes it was UMASS, but that was special effort by the defense. My god, they never made it past their own 40! Smallwood will be the best linebacker we've ever had by the time he is done.

I have always said that new QBs will cost you at least one game over the course of a season. The mistakes are to be expected. That said, he sees the field well, moves well in and outside the pocket and can make the throws. There is more and more reason to believe he can give us solid QB play. The receiving corps is also solid and Davis was terrific last night.

That's the good news. Our running game is bordering on becoming non-existant. After the fumble inside the 5 and the two dropped passes I would have sat McCombs on the bench and asked him what he thought of Martin and Max. And, personally, I think the wildcat just throws off rythem. I think it adds a layer of complexity andbgets us very little. I suspect we are going to see less of McCummings and more of Delorenzo as Whitmer settles in under a conventional set. We'll see.

Much to like about last night. If we limit offensive mistakes we will hang very tough against the Wolfpack.

Reaction Score
Nice write-up as usual.

Two concerns:

TJennings's knee.
JBennett was constantly flexing both his knees all game. Gotta keep all phalanges crossed that he makes it through the season.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Nice read... they had the programs but you had to search for the student worker handing them out (normally the shortest person in the stadium).

There is always a big pile of them just inside Gate C, right next to the chairback vendor. Never a problem.

Reaction Score
On offense, it was not nearly as rosy. I've spoken already about Whitmer. The running game was disappointing. I see no more of what was our bread and butter for years -- helmet to helmet big uglies winning battles up front. quote)

Deleted most of what you wrote for this reply . . . but thought it was well done,just so you know.

Kept the piece about running game. . .;). Going in a different direction we can only hope. More "college football mainstream". Witmer's night was very encouraging, indeed. Now a little (Ok a lot) of improving on technique (first catch the ball, then run with the ball, guys) and things are looking up. Remember the old commercial with Greg Maddox & Tom Glavine "Chicks dig the long ball", well same for "sexy" offenses. Air it out O.

Having said that, however, next week might be a good time for a "throwback" game - that's right the run. NCState has a terrific secondary and good def ends. They are described as being weak at DT and linebacker. So maybe just this once - run right, run left, run up the middle.

Reaction Score
Nice job as always. Will intro myself next week. Welcome to row 2.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Nice write-up as usual.

JBennett was constantly flexing both his knees all game. Gotta keep all phalanges crossed that he makes it through the season.

i did not notice this. does not sound good for the long haul.

Reaction Score
I agree with your assessment, BL. Is there a better PR/KR in the country than Nick Williams? One thing of note is that Whitmer and the receivers (several at least) spent lots of time on their own this summer running routes. Hundreds (literally) per week. Initial problem was that Whitmer was actually throwing too hard on close routes (like Zach did). He's worked hard to tone it back. NC St is being touted as a team with a shot at the ACC. SI has them at #25 and calls their DB's best in conference. Whitmer will have to be careful, receivers will need to run crisp routes, with no bounce off the hands "rocket passes" that turn into interceptions. This is the game that will define our season. We need to make Mike Glennon agree with RGIII that The Rent was his toughest away venue to play in.

Reaction Score
Could not ask for a better weather night for the time of year. As always, not fun trying to get from Stamford to the Rent on the Thursday before Labor Day, but it is what it is. Only pulled into the parking lot at 6:15 or so, so tailgate had to be rushed, but was able to get the clam chowder warmed, get the potato slices and jerk scallops grilled, and still in seats by 7:30. Kudos to the UMass band -- that is I believe the largest visiting band ever brought to the Rent (I think WVU's had been the biggest) and they were outstanding. They treated it like it was their Super Bowl. (Of course, that is as close to their campus as they will play for the next few years.) Kudos to our student section -- overflowing, on time and with more enthusiasm then you normally get for an opener against a non-big time opponent. Only one negative before getting to the game itself (and the negative will effect what I cover below). For the first five or so years of the Rent, I bought a program so I'd have players numbers but also to support the program. Then they eliminated the programs, and instead handed out free booklets with rosters in them. Fine. Yesterday, I get to the Rent and there was nothing. Nothing. So I didn't have a roster in front of me, and didn't know ahead of time to check numbers, which made it (obviously) harder to know who was playing off the bench. Thanks for the warning Athletic Department. Now that I know, I'll just print one off the internet and bring it.

Team looked fine. Much, much crisper than against Fordham a year ago. There was none of the uncertainty and people standing around not knowing who to block, none of the slowness in getting personnel on and off the field and to scrimmage, that we had the first half of last year with the new staff. I don't know how many games UMass will win this year -- I expect not very many -- but that was not a Patriot League team we were playing, and while the score was comparable I think we were actually more dominant. The easy win having been taken care of, I said that, by far, the only thing to take out of the game would be Whitmer's play. I think he showed us he had the ability to make most of the throws (jury out on the long balls) and had decent feet. Is he green? Yes. The first pick, while a great play by the DB that could Whitmer I'm sure by surprise, was totally unnecessary. I'm assuming he won't make that mistake again. The second pick was a horrific decision. Does everyone make them some percentage of the time? Sure. So we'll have to see what percentage of the time Chandler does. But overall, it was probably the second strongest debut a UConn QB has had in the moder era (Tyler's 300+ yard game at Duke was #1), and he showed me the tools to think he can connect on 60% of his passes before he's done. So as to QB play I was pleased.

Offense, defense and special teams. Let's do them in reverse order. Special teams was close to perfect. Solid game for Nick Williams returning. Christen was great on kickoffs and nailed all 3 FG attempts, including a 47 yarder. Did we see how he'll do under pressure? Of course not. But he has the tools to have a good two years for us. Wagner only punted twice, but both should have been killed within the 5 (Taylor Mack needs to be able to make the play he didn't make on the first one). Coverages were solid. And, off the dropped snap, we blocked a punt and turned it into 7. I'm still not sure who blocked it. I thought on the stadium replay it was Hyppolite, but someone else thought it was mack and I think the announcers said Clark. But it was Foxx (who played a lot of specials even though I didn't see him get a turn at WR) who didn't recover it, and then Max Delorenzo, getting his first of hopefully many UConn TDs, by falling on it. Overall, a great start for special teams.

The defense was honestly close to perfect. Were they that good? Was UMass's offense that bad? Ask me on the 9th. But the effort was so solid that I really can't single out individuals. As to the depth, until garbage time, as I expected, we did a 3-man DE rotation, with Jennings playing as much as Trevardo and Joseph (who looked bigger than I remembered). Willman made a nice play there late. There were a lot of bodies standing next to Wirth at DT (I know I saw Pruitt, in addition to Campenni). Only saw 3 LBs until the 4th Q, so there was no strategic subbing in of Vann, Ashiru or Donohue. And we played a lot of 3-3-5, with one DT coming out and Adams coming in as a third Safety (the Reggie McClain look we used to use). On 3rd and long, saw a little of Taylor Mack as a nickel, but not nearly as much as I saw Adams. I did not see Norris get in, but again, I had no roster. I don't doubt he did.

On offense, it was not nearly as rosy. I've spoken already about Whitmer. The running game was disappointing. I see no more of what was our bread and butter for years -- helmet to helmet big uglies winning battles up front. Everything now is technique based and just seems less effective. Our success running the ball came with McCumming in, when we'd get more blockers on the edge than they'd have defenders and would get 7 or 8 out of it. But just handing off and running with Whitmer in -- yuch. I was not optimistic about shifting Foley off the OL, and I'm going to have to see a lot better performance before I think that P was right and I was wrong. The other negative was the rhythm was off a little with the use of the wildcat. I understand what P was doing last year -- he was desperately trying to overcome the fact that he didn't think he had a Big East level QB. Fine. I gave him a wide path to walk on that. But wouldn't it be easier for both Whitmer and McCummings to play longer stretches in and out? The constantly using McCummings for one play just didn't seem to be helping anyone. As for personnel, without a roster I could not follow if there were changes being made on the OL. If someone paid attention, I'd be interested. At WR, Nick Williams and Geremy Davis started, but Michael Smith and Phillips basically played the same amounts in a 4 man rotation. Davis had an outstanding game and I think both Smith and Williams looked good. Phillips was a bit of a disappointment coming off the spring game, but it was only one game. Tebucky Jones only played in garbage time. Did not see Kamal Abrams even then, so I would guess there is a chance he would redshirt (and, as I said earlier, Foxx figures in to special teams even if he doesn't get WR time).
We played 3 FBs -- Frank, who looked much more like a typical road grader like Anthony Davis than he had as a frosh, Osiecki, who made a nice play catching the ball but then missed one he needed to catch, and then Delorenzo, who had a cameo at FB. We saw no meaningful subbing for McCombs at TB -- Hyppolite had one carry before garbage time and showed nothing (Delorenzo had a very nice carry, reduced by penalty, in garbage time). We played a lot of two TE sets, and Griffin lined up wide as much as tight. I saw both McQuillan and Shortell in garbage time only.

So, as I said, it was a more than successful opener. What I saw from Chandler causes me more optimism than the fear I have over the running game, the turnovers and the use of the wildcat. And, nothing I saw makes me doubt my pre season beliefs that both the D and the special teams might have outstanding years. But it was UMass. We will know far, far more on the 8th when the Wolfpack comes to the Rent. As it will be the biggest home game we've had since probably the Pitt game in 2010, it's also a chance to see how our fanbase has evolved and whether it's ready to step up its game in a big game. Based on what I saw from the students last night (and the fact that we are now clearly getting more students in who have been UConn football fans for years before going to UConn), I am hoping we surprise ourselves a little.

With all the critical comment about the running game, I had to go back to the box score. I don't think the running game was all that horrible. The box score shows the final yardage at 147, a 3.6 average. McCombs had 82 yds, a 3.4 average. It wasn't great by any measurement. It wasn't spectacular. Some plays were flat-out stuffed. There were only a few longish runs but, considering that UMASS was totally committed to stopping the inside running game, it did what it had to do. PP mentioned the number of run blitzes after the game. To my, albeit inexpert eyes, it looked like run blitz on almost every play. That tends to make things look cluttered and sloppy. UMASS was using last years standard defensive game plan. But, this year, it looks like the QB provides enough to get defenses out of eight, and even nine, men-in-the-box alignments. Additionally, the constant juggling of the OL had to have some effect. As Carl has stated, I don't think the OC is going to do that against future competition. It's gonna get tougher. We'll all know very soon.

Reaction Score
Great review BizLawyer. My only pet peeve was, for yet another year, they ran out of the free promotional posters. God forbid anyone stay until the actual end of the game, becuase by the time we leave they're always gone.

Reaction Score
Great review BizLawyer. My only pet peeve was, for yet another year, they ran out of the free promotional posters. God forbid anyone stay until the actual end of the game, becuase by the time we leave they're always gone.

Ha - those were on the table by Gate A unattended @ end of game. Grabbed one on way out.

Reaction Score
Ha - those were on the table by Gate A unattended @ end of game. Grabbed one on way out.

in years past they had them at every gate, but for the past 3 (or 4?) years they've run out (or never offered them) at our gate

Reaction Score
in years past they had them at every gate, but for the past 3 (or 4?) years they've run out (or never offered them) at our gate

Programs and posters should not have to be found by chance...

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
while were talking about this type of stuff. next thing should be blue tshirts on seats with sponsors etc...

Reaction Score
That's pretty much exactly what I saw live, but I haven't watched it on TV yet, so wasn't sure, I thought I saw the starters coming out / rotating pretty early on in the game, in the first half, most definitely out and/or rotating positions on the line, pretty much possession to possesion by the second half. My hope is that, what we saw in Game 1, was very much scripted by DeLeone as a live fire evaluation and experience for the OL. I can't imagine that we're going to see that happen again this season. When I look at the game again, I'll get an idea of what kind of blocking schemes they were using, but I do think after the live viewing, that they ran basically the same running play, many, many times, against whatever front UMass put up there, and they did it with multiple different lineups.

To me, that would jive with everything I know about this coaching staff. Deleone wants every single one of those linemen to be able to look at a defensive front, match it up to the play call and adjust whatever they need to, and not just know their own assignment, but everyone else's too.

BUt we need 5 guys up front to get out there and start dictating the offense to the defenses we face, not the other way around. That requires consistency for sure. I highly doubt we;ll see anyting like the OL rotation we saw last night from the big guys up front next Saturday.

Cruz came in for Greene at left guard early, Shortell was also in much earlier than many think. A. Adams played alot seemed to be very active. To Carl's point, its why you schedule down in the first game, coaches have plenty to look at before next week.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Having said that, however, next week might be a good time for a "throwback" game - that's right the run. NCState has a terrific secondary and good def ends. They are described as being weak at DT and linebacker. So maybe just this once - run right, run left, run up the middle.
You feelin ok, buddy? :eek:

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Fans not in mid-season form or beer sales slow. No problem getting into the men's room at the half.

Reaction Score
Ryan Wirth had an active night, picked up right where he left off in the Spring game. Also thought Angelo Pruitt looked solid. The team speed is getting better. Pete Carroll said how he wanted team speed before size. Having defenders who can cover the field at LB and D line is going to make us a tough out. On offense when Whitmer completes a big pass on third down I don't want to see the wildcat trot onto the field. Let's line up and get on a roll. Would like to see us be able to get some screen passes again but our o-line may not be mobile enough for this. Phillips had a tough opener but with him, Smith and Davis as well as the FB's and McCoombs we have the potential of our best passing attack in a while. From Whitmer, what we saw in the Spring game was no fluke. Big opportunity next week. Hope Ted Jennings is OK- very tough to have that happen to a senior. Saw him rushing the QB and then I followed the ball so didn't see what happened with the injury. Anyone else see.

Reaction Score
Where? When I got through one set of gates without seeing anyone, I walked to another and looked there?
The gate to the left of Blue Lot behind the WTIC Doghouse had plenty of programs.There was a kiosk just inside the gate that was unattended & the programs were stacked on top of it.

Reaction Score
Everybody re-watch the first half and in particular the first quarter. The O looked very good moving down the field. In the second half I think that you saw the fact that we were going to show absolutely nothing to watch on game film They ran the same 10 plays over and over I think. In the first half we had 90 of the 140 rushing yards.

In addition, we freely substituted especially on the O -line to give everybody a chance. Lots of mix and match.

Two nice runs by McCombs called back because of holding on each of our TE's.

Could this be the D we have every had?? - time will tell. We will need Stephen next week.

Whitmer has poise and mobility in the pocket, and throws accurately with smooth motion McCombs impoved his pass catching out of the backfield and Osiecki can catch the ball and is a load to take down - great off season move. Geremy Davis - who knew?

Next week look for the same D and for us to dip into the playbook a little deeper. The starters will play the entire game.

Cautiously optimistic.

Reaction Score
Cruz came in for Greene at left guard early, Shortell was also in much earlier than many think. A. Adams played alot seemed to be very active. To Carl's point, its why you schedule down in the first game, coaches have plenty to look at before next week.

You know what else Duncan? Our OL are going to be a lot more attractive to the NFL.

Recruiting.

Reaction Score
Time to surmise:

Whitmer YES
Williams YES
Defense Awesome YES
DAVIS Don't forget about me
Tebucky Jones I'm ready to rock your world. It's only time.

And with that I will say watch out State we are on our way to 6-0. Take that College Football...where does that put us....12th or 19th. Time to, as my good friend says, "Rock the world !!!!!!!"

Reaction Score
Sounds like you and John are expecting personal delivery.

I did not have a problem getting either so I'm not sure what you are talking about (read posts)?

My point is that fans should not have to search high and low for these types of things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom