The transfer portal opens today | Page 39 | The Boneyard

The transfer portal opens today

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
At this point Reed seems like a formality, visiting for a championship parade is about as good of a visit as you can have. Curious to see if there's some Hausen news soon too
The fact he would attend it guarantees he’s coming here. Every big man we’ve been linked to thus far has been a physical broad shouldered guy. I suspect Danny views physicality as an area of weakness. Z doesn’t fit the mold. I think Z follows Cal to Arkansas $$$$

Reaction Score
Hard practices were phase 1.

This is phase 2, you send a bunch to the NBA (in progress) and then recruit a super team of portal transfers guaranteed play time with light practices over your existing base of players who practice hard. You win the natty and more players go to the NBA.

Finally for phase 3, you have the played over, tired existing players portal out and then all you do is portal a super team each year. No time needs to be spent on high school recruits, visits, not panning out. The school is 100% portalized.
UConn is probably losing four starters. That's a lot of talent gone missing. I just don't get why it is seemingly so difficult to get top players lining up to get a UConn offer (both portal and high school). Don't wanna hear about hard UConn practices. That's a given and that's important. But I just don't get it (and this is really my point). There is some good talent in the portal and I'm not sure why UConn is not in the mix for all of them.

Reaction Score
UConn is probably losing four starters. That's a lot of talent gone missing. I just don't get why it is seemingly so difficult to get top players lining up to get a UConn offer (both portal and high school). Don't wanna hear about hard UConn practices. That's a given and that's important. But I just don't get it (and this is really my point). There is some good talent in the portal and I'm not sure why UConn is not in the mix for all of them.
We get top players, we probably just had the most talented kid in his class in Castle and we get a bunch of top 50 kids. A lot of the very top kids out of high school and in the portal want to be told they're going to be the man and some are about the money. Hurley doesn't want that. Castle was the exact opposite of that. Cam was the exact opposite of that. I think Flagg wanted to come here but everyone always expected him to go to Duke, especially his family of Duke fans.

In addition to that Hurley and staff simply aren't going after kids who have unstable homelife with parents who aren't around or parents who are too overbearing. He wants kids who were raised the right way and have old school values instilled in them. When he talks about Jordan Hawkins and Steph Castle he talks about how they come from good stock. It's something we see over and over with the kids he targets and brings in, Tarris Reed is the same.

Reaction Score
At this point Reed seems like a formality, visiting for a championship parade is about as good of a visit as you can have. Curious to see if there's some Hausen news soon too
Suspect they’re just waiting for him to say yes.

Reaction Score
UConn, with all of its recent success, has become something of a destination spot for transfers.

“Our approach is a little bit different on the visits, there’s a lot of characteristics that we’re looking for, that we want to make sure that people have for us, because we’ve got the best product in college basketball right now. So as much as we need to recruit people right now, we’re also vetting out what our program was,” Hurley said.

“We clearly have all of the resources in place and we’ll continue to do that at UConn, but we’ve got to make sure that it is a two-way street and I think a lot of schools miss on that. They look at just production and numbers and talent. You’re not putting together an All-Star team, you’re putting together a team that’s gotta be able to function.”

Reaction Score
The NCAA needs to impose a salary cap to level the playing field....Will never happen though because the NCAA is a neutered organization.
Back in the day, the NCAA sanctioned one of the guys that played on the Hoosiers film. They were so arbitrarily and capriciously dictatorial that the federal courts blew the whole thing up.

Reaction Score
You're not wrong that we missed out on quite a few guys we were targeting in this recruiting cycle (Flagg, Ngongba, Edgecombe, Sanon, Betsey, and possibly McNeeley) but I'm pretty much convinced at this point that any guy who doesn't want to play for Hurley and this program doesn't prioritize being selfless and winning above all else. Steph did, and he was the absolute perfect example of the type of player Hurley wants and to be honest, I don't think there are many kids out there with a selfless, winning attitude and maturity like Steph has. Hurley is going to continue to bring in tough kids that want to be coached hard and value winning above NIL and NBA aspirations. They might not be top 20 or even top 30 ranked guys, but they are going to be talented players that fit our championship culture.

Reaction Score
Have any teams been tied to Johnell Davis yet, or maybe waiting out the draft? He’s a really interesting prospect

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
I am not going to do the research. But last recruiting cycle how many players were ranked 5*? How many will be one and done? It would be great to see that list for the last five years. I am officially no longer paying attention to how many stars. Whatever Hurley is doing is working. The next thing we need is some of our players not only getting drafted high but turning into a full rotation player in their first year and perhaps an all star in a couple. Let’s go Donovan tear it up and continue helping UConn.

Reaction Score
Alabama people seem to think Griffen is headed to Kansas and that they have been in contact with him since the middle of the season….not surprising I guess

Reaction Score
The Kentucky fans think Jamal Mashburn Jr. is a Kentucky lock. :)

I'm not sold on children of super-rich NBA stars. Kids raised with a silver spoon in their mouths tend to have less of the internal fire to be great that kids coming from lesser means seem to have.
It's not just the children of NBA stars...............you can add many others, especially those with $400,000 degrees in Ancient Egyptian Flute Technology.

Reaction Score
Another factor to remember is Hurley basically requires the kids to be on campus all summer. Not sure if that’s completely customary everywhere but could be a deterrent for some kids.

Reaction Score
Nice to know you wouldn't have taken Spencer. Three teams in three years . . .
Different moving up the chain to more competitive programs and being at one of the top programs, screwing your teammates and fans just to shop for more dough. Danny knows exactly the kind of character he’s looking for and a money whore isn’t it.

Reaction Score
I'm not sold on children of super-rich NBA stars. Kids raised with a silver spoon in their mouths tend to have less of the internal fire to be great that kids coming from lesser means seem to have.
I read several times over the years that teams love kids of professional athletes because they know the commitment first hand in being successful. Look no further than Kobe Bryant, Steph Curry and now Jalen Brunson. I can’t imagine three guys working harder at their craft.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom