The transfer portal opens today | Page 17 | The Boneyard

The transfer portal opens today

Reaction Score
That's not real, just a PC troll/meme account.

My bad. Not hard to fall for something like this and I wouldn't be surprised if something like this pops up as true.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
https://twitter.com/goodmanhoops/status/1775625936102375799?s=46&t=Ll3aB-ktQN4gyZkDkQ2QUg Reallyyyyy hope we get involved here. Kids good and has 2 years left.
Lots to like about Roddy Gayle: big guard 6'4 210, who can attack the rim (4.0 FTA, 83 FT%) and draws a lot of fouls (4.5 per 40).

Reminds me a little bit of Tristen: he can dish (3.1 assists/game) and battles under the offensive boards (1.0 offensive rebounds per game). His shooting was down this season (28.4 3P% vs 43% last season) and has decent enough defensive metrics.

Bigger guards who are comfortable dishing and attacking work so beautifully in the flowing motion of the Hurley halfcourt offense.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I was going to post the other day that I hoped Roddy would transfer.

We were top 3 for him, I coached against him in HS so always wanted him a Husky. Good kid, good athlete, good defender.

Had 23 this year vs Alabama on 8-11 shooting. Like this potential add reminds me of Tristen in size and game somewhat plus 2 years left.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Roddy is a better athlete than Tristen and not quite the natural shooter…but he’s strong and plays D and CAN shoot.

I’d consider Newton “a shooter” and Roddy is more an athletic and physical 2 that can shoot a bit. Maybe a little more Solo than Tristen. But I haven’t broken down film.

Reaction Score
Roddy is a better athlete than Tristen and not quite the natural shooter…but he’s strong and plays D and CAN shoot.

I’d consider Newton “a shooter” and Roddy is more an athletic and physical 2 that can shoot a bit. Maybe a little more Solo than Tristen. But I haven’t broken down film.
To my eye- And I haven't coached like you nor am I familiar with Roddy-by viewing tape- but have heard good things. I always thought of Tristen as a scorer-Can just put it in the hole in a variety of ways. Not too many guys average 37+/game in HS. Glad he's playing for us in Phoenix. Big-time player under the bright lights.

Roddy sounds like a good fit for a spot on next year's roster.

Reaction Score
This is hilarious. Everyone's doing it, but he's an easy target. Because he's a scumbag lol

The only thing keeping him standing is coke and cigars. He's one rough bowel movement from death. He can do whatever he wants at this point.
Simon Charles breaks all the news.

Reaction Score
Interesting that Meechie Johnson transferred out of OSU and is now transferring back. Is that a first? Must not have been a Holtmann fan.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
To my eye- And I haven't coached like you nor am I familiar with Roddy-by viewing tape- but have heard good things. I always thought of Tristen as a scorer-Can just put it in the hole in a variety of ways. Not too many guys average 37+/game in HS. Glad he's playing for us in Phoenix. Big-time player under the bright lights.

Roddy sounds like a good fit for a spot on next year's roster.

Yeah, I agree, Tristen is a scorer.

Roddy, I don’t think, will be using the threat of a 25 footer to hesitate and blow by, he’s also generally not going to pull up off the dribble deep like Tristen. So Tristen has more of the “natural shooter” mindset.

Roddy is super capable of scoring and knocking down open jumpers and is a good athlete and defender. He’d fit in well and we will likely need some need wing scoring next season.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Yeah, I agree, Tristen is a scorer.

Roddy, I don’t think, will be using the threat of a 25 footer to hesitate and blow by, he’s also generally not going to pull up off the dribble deep like Tristen. So Tristen has more of the “natural shooter” mindset.

Roddy is super capable of scoring and knocking down open jumpers and is a good athlete and defender. He’d fit in well and we will likely need some need wing scoring next season.
I just watched the Roddy Gayle portal video and it seems like he shoots perfectly fine from the right side of the court and is horrible on the left. Maybe @husky429 or one of the resident coaches know why this would be happening

Reaction Score
Allegedly St John’s convinced Gayle to portal and eaerly favorite. I would love a taller, high upside guard to pair w Hass/Nowell. Re shooting woes feel like he was dealing w injury last year. I know less about him than most of you just relaying info here.

Still believe in Ball big time as well.

Reaction Score
Interesting that Meechie Johnson transferred out of OSU and is now transferring back. Is that a first? Must not have been a Holtmann fan.
Ali Ali transferred from Akron to Butler and then back to Akron. Definitely a rare thing though

Reaction Score
I just watched the Roddy Gayle portal video and it seems like he shoots perfectly fine from the right side of the court and is horrible on the left. Maybe @husky429 or one of the resident coaches know why this would be happening

I haven't seen any data or video on him, so pure speculation. 1) If he has no left hand at the rim, he's going to be guarded tighter and miss more shots, 2) If he's right-handed, he might have a bad 1-2 step going to his left (it's not as natural coming off a screen as a ballhandler).

Most folks overlook perimeter footwork like that, but it's the kind of thing our coaches are going to be all over when scouting players. Tristen and Cam have textbook footwork going both directions. Solo's was inconsistent, and affected his shooting.

Or it was just bad luck. Who knows.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score

Yeah he’s not a natural shooter, so my guess is his best spot up opportunities and best off screen footwork feels best for him on his right side.

I’m left handed, I absolutely feel more comfortable on the right side because you’re attacking middle with your strong side.

So naturally, I’d think a righty like him coming off screens or attacking off the dribble on the left side would be his more comfortable. Catching and shooting in spot ups is different, that shouldn’t matter much.

So my assumption is it’s just random clips you saw, but I don’t know the breakdown statistically.

Reaction Score
Surprised there hasn’t been any linkage to Cade Tyson. All MVC player from Belmont, 6’7, over 16 PPG & shot it 46.5% from 3 on good volume. Really efficient player. Maybe the staff doesn’t want the overlap with Stewart/Karaban, but the kid is a stud. UNC & Duke now involved, maybe UConn jumps in late. Keep an eye out there. & somehow, criminally underrated coming out of a really good high school team in Charlotte. No clue why he wasn’t recruited at higher major schools.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Yeah he’s not a natural shooter, so my guess is his best spot up opportunities and best off screen footwork feels best for him on his right side.

I’m left handed, I absolutely feel more comfortable on the right side because you’re attacking middle with your strong side.

So naturally, I’d think a righty like him coming off screens or attacking off the dribble on the left side would be his more comfortable. Catching and shooting in spot ups is different, that shouldn’t matter much.

So my assumption is it’s just random clips you saw, but I don’t know the breakdown statistically.
No it shows his FG % from the right and left side in the video and he’s 40% on one side and sub 20% on the other. These are jumpers too not close to the basket. Bizarre

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom