The transfer portal opens today | Page 6 | The Boneyard

The transfer portal opens today

Reaction Score
I have 2 conflicting opinions on this. The portal shouldn't open in the middle of the NCAA tournament. Expecting kids to sit on their hands for 4 weeks waiting is not realistic. Not sure what the compromise is
It's three weeks actually and that time might help them think through exactly why they want to leave and what they're seeking, and even see a team which might be the perfect match.

Naheim Alleyne moved quickly. Unless he was looking to see what it's like to live in Queens he may have not chosen wisely.

Patience can be a virtue and I offer Cam Spencer as exhibit 1 of someone who waited and made a great choice.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Pretty much why I’d be okay with my kids going to community college for two years and then transferring somewhere better to graduate. The place from which you graduated goes on the resume at half the cost.
From a cost standpoint I completely agree. I personally wouldn’t trade some of the experiences and relationships I had from being a part of the dorm life community in school those first two years for anything!

Yes, that's him. I thought he only spent a year at Harvard, but I could've gotten that wrong.
According to this article, he played 2 years at Harvard then was hurt the next 2 years and graduated. Then played for a year at OSU before being hurt again the next year and graduated again.

Now he’s using his 4th year of eligibility at Howard. I wonder if he technically can use a 5th because of the COVID year lmao.

Reaction Score
From a cost standpoint I completely agree. I personally wouldn’t trade some of the experiences and relationships I had from being a part of the dorm life community in school those first two years for anything!

According to this article, he played 2 years at Harvard then was hurt the next 2 years and graduated. Then played for a year at OSU before being hurt again the next year and graduated again.

Now he’s using his 4th year of eligibility at Howard. I wonder if he technically can use a 5th because of the COVID year lmao.

I heard on the game broadcast he has one more year of eligibility, technically his 9th year in college. Frank The Tank approves!

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Samson improving to the point of being a starting center on a team with top-10 aspirations would be a greater improvement than we've ever seen in this program, including Hilton.

Is it possible? Yep.

Is it something we should count on? Hell no.
People here are kinda delusional on Johnson. He’s had his moments for us, but he's not a projectable high level center with how he handles physicality. I hope instead he comes back with a Diarra level improvement and contributes even better off our bench.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
People here are kinda delusional on Johnson. He’s had his moments for us, but he's not a projectable high level center with how he handles physicality. I hope instead he comes back with a Diarra level improvement and contributes even better off our bench.
Can’t imagine SJ would feel good about finishing his career coming off the bench after coming in with Wall aspirations.

Reaction Score
"people are breaking the rules anyway, so that excuses us taking a moronic approach that makes it even easier for them.". This isn't hard. Put it off three weeks. At the very least so that the teams that are focused on playing games can participate in the portal.
Absolutely, would take the public side of the equation out, and at least “encourage” restraint. Doubt Slick Rick or any of his ilk ever have or ever will. At least the headline in the Post wouldn’t be Johnny enters portal before his teams second round game.

Reaction Score
I guess I have more faith in Samson than many on here but he does need to get stronger and reduce his propensity to foul. Even if Johnson starts we will need another 5 to play 18+ minutes or more. I don’t think Singare will be ready yet next year.
Does anyone think that Apostolos has potential to surprise next season At the 2-3 He only plays during garbage tI’ve but has shown a good feel for the game at least offensively.
YES

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Absolutely, would take the public side of the equation out, and at least “encourage” restraint. Doubt Slick Rick or any of his ilk ever have or ever will. At least the headline in the Post wouldn’t be Johnny enters portal before his teams second round game.
Think the main thing closing the portal until the tournament is finished is to keep kids from officially signing with a school.

Until it’s official, there’s always the chance another team can grab their ear.

Reaction Score
We've won titles with Ty Olander and Phillip Nolan....
I do prefer the elite big(s) uconn teams (2004,these past two years), but like you said we've won with a cadre of average to slightly above average bigs who the coach can cycle through. Maybe we dont need an All Conference/American level guy but I really think having at least 3 good sized bigs would be critical. It'll be cool to see how Hurley navigates this when the time comes

Reaction Score
I have no idea on pricing...thx for info, but that just proves my point about no budget. I agree with most of this, except that having a D2 basketball program helps the school financially. The effect of winning a D1 NC has a huge bump in TV/online exposure, donations, merch sales, applications. Doubt that happens d2/d3.

I'm here so obviously not against college sports...I'm just disagreeing with your premise about lower level sports making money and that schools get more from the player than vice versa. If you got a full/partial ride to college...Kudos to you..but I don't think the school made money off you

I don't know about any sports but basketball, and I only know what my own D2 school told me. And that was that basketball was a big piece of creating the culture and admissions they want.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I do prefer the elite big(s) uconn teams (2004,these past two years), but like you said we've won with a cadre of average to slightly above average bigs who the coach can cycle through. Maybe we dont need an All Conference/American level guy but I really think having at least 3 good sized bigs would be critical. It'll be cool to see how Hurley navigates this when the time comes
Hurley will figure out what he can do and do it. No need to trash a kid that's giving us a pretty good year for what we think he won't do next year.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
In my imagination, last year after UConn administered a second-half beat down on Iona, Rick Pitino knew he was going to St John's, that he'd need an overhauled roster, and felt he'd have to subtract something from UConn in addition to adding to his new team, so he successfully targeted Nahiem Alleyne as a 'two-fer' to damage UConn and help himself.

Little did he know that he set in motion UConn's double-whammy.

First of all, Pitino picked the wrong guy: UConn retained Hassan Diarra. It doesn't matter that nearly all of us would have made the same call.

In response, UConn looked for an experienced shooter in the portal and thought they got him in Nick Timberlake. That's when the door first cracked open by Pitino surprisingly closed when Bill Self spirited Timberlake to Kansas, but then re-opened for Cameron Spencer.

In January, it was great to watch Pitino in the huddle tell his lateral speed-challenged team that they had to stick to Cam above all else, and then lose his third straight game to Danny Hurley after leading at halftime.

8 Big East teams are preparing for their next game. Pitino, Cooley, and Holtman are focused on next year's roster. I imagine this as the current NCAA equivalent of getting a better draft pick opportunity when your team doesn't do so well. Without interest in taking much of a closer look, I'm not a fan of the dates & timing, but I'm happy that my attention is focused instead on a currently-active team.

Reaction Score
A little over 24 hours since the transfer portal opened and we're at 500 players now.

If you subtract seniors and super seniors, that's approaching 20% of players already.

I would imagine many of them aren't going to be too thrilled about the offers they get.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
8 Big East teams are preparing for their next game. Pitino, Cooley, and Holtman are focused on next year's roster. I imagine this as the current NCAA equivalent of getting a better draft pick opportunity when your team doesn't do so well. Without interest in taking much of a closer look, I'm not a fan of the dates & timing, but I'm happy that my attention is focused instead on a currently-active team.
Comparing getting first dibs at the transfer portal to a bad team having the first picks of the draft is gold. Lmao

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I guess I have more faith in Samson than many on here but he does need to get stronger and reduce his propensity to foul. Even if Johnson starts we will need another 5 to play 18+ minutes or more. I don’t think Singare will be ready yet next year.
Does anyone think that Apostolos has potential to surprise next season At the 2-3 He only plays during garbage tI’ve but has shown a good feel for the game at least offensively.
I guess some of you know I do not like SJ as a player. BUT, I suppose you cannot count him out considering that he far exceeded expectations this year. Should he to make a similar jump next year, he can be a very strong presence for us. But for the love of God, stop fouling 24 feet from the basket!!!

Reaction Score
Crazy thought- Roumoglou as backup center when playing small ball? He’s 6’8 or 6’9 and can drill the outside shot from up high setting screens. How he is on defensive end, I don’t know, he only gets mop up minutes and there must be a reason for that.
A little over 24 hours since the transfer portal opened and we're at 500 players now.
I wonder how the evaluation process works with UConn coaching staff. Hurley can't look at tapes of all these guys- someone must weed out the players in the portal to know who to go after.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Crazy thought- Roumoglou as backup center when playing small ball? He’s 6’8 or 6’9 and can drill the outside shot from up high setting screens. How he is on defensive end, I don’t know, he only gets mop up minutes and there must be a reason for that.

I wonder how the evaluation process works with UConn coaching staff. Hurley can't look at tapes of all these guys- someone must weed out the players in the portal to know who to go after.
I’m not sure if it’s the same for cbb, but CFB has support staffs that go through recruiting tape for HS and portal players then sort and filter for coaches.

Feel like it should be the same for cbb but I’m not 100% sure.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom