The transfer portal opens today | Page 5 | The Boneyard

The transfer portal opens today

Reaction Score
The problem is if we get a starting center in the portal, Samson will likely enter the portal. How can we get a backup 5 from the portal?
It’s tough but I would like to hope that maybe Singare could be an option at backup but I have no clue how the staff feels about him

Reaction Score
SJ could easily be our starting center. Once again, the BY -no one can improve over the off season- mentality strikes again. Tell that to Diarra.

However, we do need a space eater or aircraft carrier, or what ever you want to call it, at the 5, from the portal.

Samson improving to the point of being a starting center on a team with top-10 aspirations would be a greater improvement than we've ever seen in this program, including Hilton.

Is it possible? Yep.

Is it something we should count on? Hell no.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Samson improving to the point of being a starting center on a team with top-10 aspirations would be a greater improvement than we've ever seen in this program, including Hilton.

Is it possible? Yep.

Is it something we should count on? Hell no.
I've been one of his bigger supporters and even I agree. Can't count on it happening. Since he hasn't emerged as a shooter, not even to the level he was in HS, that limits him.

He also hasn't developed the base to the extent that he can hold off people inside. The leaping, the reach, it's all moot without the base. Once they bump him, he's off balance and can't go up. His rebounding suffers for the same reason, he gets fouled/bumped and from an off balance position can't go up for the ball.

His whole off season should be shooting and legs. I'd have him pushing tackling dummies like a DT.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
But for real, with major college sports pretty much dropping all pretense of amateurism, it isn’t a big leap to players being required to sign no transfer contracts for a fixed period of time. No doubt UConn has been a great beneficiary of the portal. That might not be the case forever. The idea of putting in the time in a program is becoming quaint.
The idea of putting in time in a program is because coaches aren’t as willing to put time into a player.

Coaches aren’t as willing to put in time and investment on their recruits by bringing in transfers the same way recruits don’t want to put in time and invest in the program because of that transfer.

Two-way street.

Reaction Score
More idiocy brought to us by them there academic geniuses that be running the NCAA

Now programs may not be accepting NIT bids because it's more important for them to start working the portal

The NCAA is insanely stupid. Managerial malpractice

Agree. Distraction from the March Madness Tournament. Why not wait until after the tournament, such as April 15th

Reaction Score
I've been one of his bigger supporters and even I agree. Can't count on it happening. Since he hasn't emerged as a shooter, not even to the level he was in HS, that limits him.

He also hasn't developed the base to the extent that he can hold off people inside. The leaping, the reach, it's all moot without the base. Once they bump him, he's off balance and can't go up. His rebounding suffers for the same reason, he gets fouled/bumped and from an off balance position can't go up for the ball.

His whole off season should be shooting and legs. I'd have him pushing tackling dummies like a DT.

I will say I think he has 6th man of the year potential like Hassan. He has all the pieces to be a ln energy bench piece.

Reaction Score
UConn won the national championship and is the #1 overall seed thanks to the portal and NIL. Thank you Mark Emmert. Where would we be without Newton, Diarra, Joey C, Alleyne and Spencer?
Cam and Joey were grad transfers and never had to sit....my point was simply changing the sit to transfer rule when NIL came in was a recipe for high priced free agency...either one alone would have given a competent administrator and opportunity to put some rules in place. Emmert with his hubris was cutting licensing deals with video games etc using the players..that's what was litigated. Sit to transfer was never part of the lawsuit as far as i know

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Honestly how difficult is it to get a kid’s name right that’s been here for almost a year? Just the absolute bare minimum in terms of respect.
How difficult is it to be civil.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
The idea of putting in time in a program is because coaches aren’t as willing to put time into a player.

Coaches aren’t as willing to put in time and investment on their recruits by bringing in transfers the same way recruits don’t want to put in time and invest in the program because of that transfer.

Two-way street.
Not sure how you know this and it probably varies by coach and program just as some are more exhaustive in recruiting certain players. It’s pretty much an instant gratification world in general.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Kadary joining Cliff has buzz. Johnnies have a lot of NIL and not as many scruples.
If they have so much NIL money how come Rick was embarassingly begging the fans for it at a one of their games?

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Not sure how you know this and it probably varies by coach and program just as some are more exhaustive in recruiting certain players. It’s pretty much an instant gratification world in general.
I’m not talking about specific situations, just saying in general.

I don’t think it’s even an instant gratification world. Players didn’t used to have to deal with this.

If they waited, it was behind an experienced guy they came into the program with an understanding they were already there. If you got beat out, it was by an underclassman behind you. Now at any time period, a coach can bring in someone to take their playing time.

Reaction Score
I read about a kid that played for four different schools starting with one year at Harvard. College sports is crazy now. What do you say when someone asks where you went to school when you attended four schools, the school you eventually graduated from??? If I was that kid, I know my answer.... Harvard.

Reaction Score
I will say I think he has 6th man of the year potential like Hassan. He has all the pieces to be a ln energy bench piece.
Think you nailed it re: upside for SJ. Speed/energy and fast-twitch are his game. Some bigs don't have the body construction to put on weight and remain agile. I think with SJ-What you see is what you get.Big-man camps in the off-season might give him some additional growth for his bag of tricks for next year as well as SnC focused on improving specific muscle groups.

That does not mean that he doesn't/can't provide valuable minutes for providing rest and/or foul trouble for the starting 5. Still expect him to be impactful in his own lane during March Madness this year and next year.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I read about a kid that played for four different schools starting with one year at Harvard. College sports is crazy now. What do you say when someone asks where you went to school when you attended four schools, the school you eventually graduated from??? If I was that kid, I know my answer.... Harvard.
You’re talking about the player at Howard now.

He got his undergrad at Harvard, and two grad degrees at OSU and Howard I believe. What a way to work the system lol

Reaction Score
Programs benefit much more from players than the players from the program. The recruiting budget at my D2 school was like 1000$--the coaches would literally buy fake wrist bands to AAU events to avoid paying. We sold more than 1000$ in tickets to just a single game. Only one player on that team played professionally.
I doubt any D2 school makes money on sports, when you factor in salaries, travel, cost of facilities etc but don't have actual numbers... My guess is the coaches bought fake wrist bands because they had no budget, not because they didn't want to spend $20 of the school's money

Reaction Score
I guess I have more faith in Samson than many on here but he does need to get stronger and reduce his propensity to foul. Even if Johnson starts we will need another 5 to play 18+ minutes or more. I don’t think Singare will be ready yet next year.
Does anyone think that Apostolos has potential to surprise next season At the 2-3 He only plays during garbage tI’ve but has shown a good feel for the game at least offensively.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score

He got his undergrad at Harvard, and two grad degrees at OSU and Howard I believe. What a way to work the system lol
Pretty much why I’d be okay with my kids going to community college for two years and then transferring somewhere better to graduate. The place from which you graduated goes on the resume at half the cost.

Reaction Score
I doubt any D2 school makes money on sports, when you factor in salaries, travel, cost of facilities etc but don't have actual numbers... My guess is the coaches bought fake wrist bands because they had no budget, not because they didn't want to spend $20 of the school's money

You're thinking about the value of sports differently than I am. Technically speaking, the UConn athletic department doesn't make a lick of money. But if we think they aren't adding value to the school, we're nuts. UConn just broke their record of applicants by 6,000 this year because we won a natty.

And yes, basically. Coaches get a recruiting budget (travel, flights, etc.). Clearly, UConn has enough money to recruit around the country. For a low-D1 or D2 school, it's very different. They're driving instead of flying, and the money to go to AAU events is prohibitive to good recruiting.

And it isn't 20$, it's hundreds. Not sure about lower-level events, but EYBL is 500$ for 1 coach, and like 200$ more for each additional coach. So if Tom, Luke, Kimani and Dan went to Atlanta for Peach Jam, they're spending 1000$ on just tickets to see games + flights + hotels + food. All told it's THOUSANDS for just one weekend.

Northeast Iowa Regional Technical College for Witchraft and Wizardy simply can't afford to recruit how they want to.

Reaction Score
I guess I have more faith in Samson than many on here but he does need to get stronger and reduce his propensity to foul. Even if Johnson starts we will need another 5 to play 18+ minutes or more. I don’t think Singare will be ready yet next year.
Does anyone think that Apostolos has potential to surprise next season At the 2-3 He only plays during garbage tI’ve but has shown a good feel for the game at least offensively.

The Greek is probably playing 3/4 when he gets minutes. IMO mostly likely as a backup to AK. He's got the size, and he's slow as hell on defense. Playing the 4 would minimize that weakness and give us tons of skill on the floor.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
The problem is if we get a starting center in the portal, Samson will likely enter the portal. How can we get a backup 5 from the portal?
Unless we go….double bigs! ;)

IMG_7657.gif

Reaction Score

Yes, that's him. I thought he only spent a year at Harvard, but I could've gotten that wrong.

Reaction Score
You're thinking about the value of sports differently than I am. Technically speaking, the UConn athletic department doesn't make a lick of money. But if we think they aren't adding value to the school, we're nuts. UConn just broke their record of applicants by 6,000 this year because we won a natty.

And yes, basically. Coaches get a recruiting budget (travel, flights, etc.). Clearly, UConn has enough money to recruit around the country. For a low-D1 or D2 school, it's very different. They're driving instead of flying, and the money to go to AAU events is prohibitive to good recruiting.

And it isn't 20$, it's hundreds. Not sure about lower-level events, but EYBL is 500$ for 1 coach, and like 200$ more for each additional coach. So if Tom, Luke, Kimani and Dan went to Atlanta for Peach Jam, they're spending 1000$ on just tickets to see games + flights + hotels + food. All told it's THOUSANDS for just one weekend.

Northeast Iowa Regional Technical College for Witchraft and Wizardy simply can't afford to recruit how they want to.
I have no idea on pricing...thx for info, but that just proves my point about no budget. I agree with most of this, except that having a D2 basketball program helps the school financially. The effect of winning a D1 NC has a huge bump in TV/online exposure, donations, merch sales, applications. Doubt that happens d2/d3.

I'm here so obviously not against college sports...I'm just disagreeing with your premise about lower level sports making money and that schools get more from the player than vice versa. If you got a full/partial ride to college...Kudos to you..but I don't think the school made money off you

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I’m not talking about specific situations, just saying in general.

I don’t think it’s even an instant gratification world. Players didn’t used to have to deal with this.

If they waited, it was behind an experienced guy they came into the program with an understanding they were already there. If you got beat out, it was by an underclassman behind you. Now at any time period, a coach can bring in someone to take their playing time.
That’s true, but I suspect that sooner or later it doesn’t help a coach to get a reputation for not standing behind recruits they get out of high school. The portal as it works now is pretty new so I’d guess there is a lot of adjusting going on. Kids are transferring for all sorts of reasons. A kid like Dickinson was clearly not transferring for more playing time, but many if not most think they’ll be getting more time, or a more featured role or now better NIL support or some combination of those. UConn could be losing 2 or 3 to the pros, losing a few to graduation, transfers out possible and not the overall incoming frosh class hoped for, which leaves the portal as probably the best source of players and maybe some uncommitted hs players they think are what we need. Glad it’s not my job.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom