The transfer portal opens today | Page 10 | The Boneyard

The transfer portal opens today

Reaction Score
Derkack looks like a bench guy to me. Has some similar skills to some of the guys on our second unit. DH said during his media availability on Monday -this week- That the coaching staff was dividing their time on Monday between Stetson prep and next year's roster construction.

Jersey guy who is a two -way player looking to get to the NBA.IMO- Don't see him as a lead guard but rather part of our supporting cast for next year if he decides to run it back with us.

Reaction Score
Hedging is a small reason why Samson isn't rebounding or keeping his fouls down. It's just a skill thing. Even when hedging he still spends the majority of his time at the rim.
That’s not true, he is not in defensive position to rebound after his reckless hedging. I do agree he needs to work on his hands.
But, rebounding starts before the shot goes up and that’s Samson’s biggest issue.

MJ1

Reaction Score
If the big east to big east transferring is the thing to do, lets snatch Eric Dixon and Trey Alexander
Trey will be entering the NBA draft. Almost did last year, will definitely enter this year.

Reaction Score
I believe they changed the calendars in CFB to move the winter NLI period up before the portal opens.
Early signing period in December while all the football teams with a 500 record are still practicing and playing. The portal should be available for a month after the sport's season has ended.

Reaction Score
So I guess St John’s is going to build their team around the portal every year? Ew.
When your coach is going to be 72, you can't wait long....
Animation Waiting GIF by SWR Kindernetz

Reaction Score
I watched them in their championship game, and I think @Hey Adrien! said he was banged up, but he was awful
Just read an article that said he fractured his foot and slightly tore two ligaments in his ankle the game before, he didn't find out the extent of the damage until after the title game

Reaction Score
Favors the bad teams that aren't in the post-season. The playing field should be even for all, at least for the portal. We already know NIL money isn't equal.
I saw that most teams have approx 2 million in NIL for men's hoops. Surely UCONN which has virtually no football players earning big NIL can at least match that.

caw

Reaction Score
Next year will be an interesting one in Friartown with Carter/Oduro/Gaines gone and Hopkins coming off his injury. Hopkins will need to be better than Carter was just for them to be decent. They have a starting lineup of:

Pierre
Floyd
Barron
Hopkins
Castro

With zero proven bench. They need serious portal backup.

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
While I don’t think the portal should be open while there are games to play… you probably don’t want to leap on the first players you see. Some of the best wait quite a while before entering.

Reaction Score
Stojakovic didn't impress in his freshman season, but he's got excellent pedigree and McDonald's All-American honors, so I'm really curious in his potential.

Here's the report of his freshman year from Adam Finkelstein, who I happened to meet at the Merrimack/Sacred Heart game a few weeks ago (I guess he's from CT?)

The former McDonald’s All-American didn’t make quite the immediate impact that many expected as a freshman at Stanford, and put his name in the portal following the dismissal of head coach Jerod Haase. Known as a skilled shot-maker and versatile scoring threat in high school, Stojakovic knocked down less than 33% of his attempted threes this year while averaging 7.8 points and 3.4 rebounds in 22.3 minutes per game.

More concerning though was his inefficiency inside the arc, as he finished just 39% of his attempts at the rim per Pivot Analysis, and on the defensive end of the floor, where he rated in the bottom 10% according to Synergy Sports. Both of those struggles are, at least partially, attributed to the physical transition to the college level. While Stojakovic was older than most college freshman, having turned 19 in August, his frame was still not fully mature and he didn’t have quite as much game experience against top competition.

Given time to catch-up in both areas, there are still lots of reasons for long-term optimism as his positional size, skill, and offensive versatility remain as intriguing as they were in high school.

Reaction Score
Hit the game winner against Virginia last year, averaged 18 points per this year. Probably a current top 10 portal guy.

He'll end up at a high major and get some solid NIL $. Probably won't be here though--we need size.

Reaction Score

Not sure if my added 2024 Recruiting Thread is needed, so here's the report:

I was able to watch Jordan Derkack live when Merrimack visited Sacred Heart.

The NEC Player of the Year and NEC Defensive Player of the Year was Mr. Everything for Joe Gallo and Merrimack.

Stats: 17.0p, 6.0r, 3.9a, 55.8 2P%, 27.5 3P% (1/3 shot attempts from 3), 7.3 FTA, 72.4 FT%, 2.1 steals in 33 mpg

A 6'5 205 incoming junior, Derkack is a tough, aggressive alpha-guard who can create off the bounce and is excellent in transition too. I can totally see why Hurley likes this kid. A pain-in-the-butt to play against.

Screen Shot 2024-03-22 at 5.26.39 PM.jpg

I'd like better three-point shooting numbers from him, but he converted 34.8% of his three-pointers in sixteen games between January 6th and the end of the regular season. His NEC Tournament stats are shot since he injured a different leg in each game.

He's super versatile, so he can help his next team in a variety of ways. Not sure he's a high-major starter though, but that's also biased based on history since so few NEC transfers have been consistent high-major contributors. Sacred Heart/Cincy's Cane Broome is one example. He was a very good third guard for Cincy after averaging 23.1 ppg at Sacred Heart.

Reaction Score

Anyone watch Murray play?

Wonder if Merrimack can strike gold with Murray. This season, Sacred Heart's D3 grad transfer Alex Sobel was a fantastic find, averaging 12.3 points, 7.4 boards and 2.8 assists. He should have won the NEC DPOY.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom