The Starting 5 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The Starting 5

Reaction Score
I don't feel great basing this off of the exhibitions as much as I am, but...

Gilbert
Adams
Larrier/Polley
Diarra/Larrier
Cobb

8 man rotation including Vital, Anderson, and Carlton.

About how I'd have it, but with more Onuorah when he is back.

Starters:
Gilbert
Adams
Larrier
Diarra
Onuorah

Tightened Rotation (9+):
Gilbert subbed out for Vital, Whaley in for Diarra, Cobb in for Onuorah.
After a few minutes Gilbert comes in for Adams, Polley for Larrier.
All starters back in, possibly with a few minutes for Anderson and Carlton sprinkled in.

Against smaller teams or zones:
Diarra subbed out for Vital, who pushes Larrier to the 4. Cobb in for Onuorah.
After a few minutes, Anderson subs in for Gilbert or most tired/struggling guard, Polley in for Larrier. Best lob catcher (Whaley?) rotates in.

Against cupcakes:
Vital, Anderson, Polley, Whaley, and Cobb in hockey-style.
Kwintin and Carlton rotatae through.

Onoorah minutes are more of a guess that he'll be the best defender and is most experienced, so he'll get the starters minutes, with Carlton probably taking some of his minutes as the season goes on.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
That pass off the backboard wasn't his first no-look pass of the game that ended up in the opposition's hands. I never said he was crappy, he clearly has talent. And I thought the new guys all looked they can play. But these guys aren't all so great that they win consistently without playing team ball. And that play was the epitome of not playing team ball. And no, I won't be joining you in Stepford.

I think you can give him some significant rope for rust. Along with Larrier. Whether people like it or not, the only way these guys are getting past that is playing. A lot.

Reaction Score
Larrier will certainly start but I still think Gilbert, Adams, Vital, Diarra, and Cobb will give us the best start. Larrier has been taking (and missing) way too many 3's and he seems careless which translates to turnovers. Gilbert, Adams, and Vital are the best 3 scorers. Diarra and Cobb will give us toughness and rebounding down low. Larrier will start but I think our best starting 5 doesn't include him unfortunately.

Reaction Score
Gilbert will start over Vital. It's really not even a question because he is a superior player. People forget he was a McDonald's AA and vital became a fan favorite last year.

Adams
Gilbert
Larrier
Diarra
Cobb

Vital first off bench and will get starter minutes.
Vital is the best shooter we have right now.
Gimmick defenses will stop Gilbert and Adams without a three point threat to keep them honest.
It’s really that simple.
He may not start sometimes that’s political , but he will play 25-30 minutes a game.
I would disagree that the best players have to be on the floor ,it’s actually which combinations of players makes the best team that should see the bulk of the minutes.

Reaction Score
Aren't you kind of agreeing with me here? And it's two games. I watched the PC game. And of course I hope I'm wrong. The winter goes by faster when UConn is winning. Be honest, do you see this year playing out any different than the last 3? A good win or two when the shots are falling, a couple of WTF losses and an overall offense that is as fun to watch as having dental work. I think team ball gets us to the Big Dance.

Team ball? Was he trying to pass it or shoot it I'm confused? If he threw a bad pass he was trying to play team ball if it was a bad shot he wasn't. He threw a couple nice passes, so did many others I saw team ball, sharing it sometimes to a fault. There are times the extra pass is a stupid one too.

Anyway just thought you were overreacting to one play but you have your reasons and doubts, fair enough I guess.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
This. Tyler Olander started at center in the national championship game but only played about 10 minutes.

At the end, Gilbert, Larrier, Vital, Adams, and one of Cobb/Diarra depending on their defense/fouls/free throw shooting.

In the 2014 championship, I don't believe Olander ever got off the bench.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom