The Starting 5 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Starting 5

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I don't feel great basing this off of the exhibitions as much as I am, but...

Gilbert
Adams
Larrier/Polley
Diarra/Larrier
Cobb

8 man rotation including Vital, Anderson, and Carlton.

Reaction Score
Gilbert will start over Vital. It's really not even a question because he is a superior player. People forget he was a McDonald's AA and vital became a fan favorite last year.

Adams
Gilbert
Larrier
Diarra
Cobb

Vital first off bench and will get starter minutes.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Against Merrimack, Gilbert throws a "no look" pass to no one. It careens of the backboard and Merrimack had a fastbreak going the other way. Gilbert doesn't even try to play D, he pretty much got out of the way. Ollie did nothing. Is that what UConn basketball is now?

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Against Merrimack, Gilbert throws a "no look" pass to no one. It careens of the backboard and Merrimack had a fastbreak going the other way. Gilbert doesn't even try to play D, he pretty much got out of the way. Ollie did nothing. Is that what UConn basketball is now?

Keep cherry-picking and exaggerating to prove your point.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Keep ignoring what you see with your own lyin' eyes.

My eyes paint an accurate picture. Yours paint one that does not reflect reality.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
And what reality is that?

The reality that Gilbert isn't the crappy player you make him out to be, and that out of all the things you could cite as indicative of a downturn in program quality, his play is not at all one of them.

You should join me here. It's nice.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The reality that Gilbert isn't the crappy player you make him out to be, and that out of all the things you could cite as indicative of a downturn in program quality, his play is not at all one of them.
You should join me here. It's nice.

That pass off the backboard wasn't his first no-look pass of the game that ended up in the opposition's hands. I never said he was crappy, he clearly has talent. And I thought the new guys all looked they can play. But these guys aren't all so great that they win consistently without playing team ball. And that play was the epitome of not playing team ball. And no, I won't be joining you in Stepford.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I doubt he was passing it to no one and perhaps KO said nothing because someone else was not prepared for the pass
I don't know because I was at the game but missed that play and I was not present when they went over film and perhaps it was addressed at that time
I'm not ready to paint "is that what UConn basketball is now" with a broad brush based on one play
We have heard KO talk endlessly of what is and what is not UConn basketball, he played within it's MO so it's not like it's just lip service from an outsider.
As far as not playing D - shame on AG for taking that play off but from what I have seen in person, he is not one to shy away from "getting down and dirty"

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
That pass off the backboard wasn't his first no-look pass of the game that ended up in the opposition's hands. I never said he was crappy, he clearly has talent. And I thought the new guys all looked they can play. But these guys aren't all so great that they win consistently without playing team ball. And that play was the epitome of not playing team ball. And no, I won't be joining you in Stepford.
A no look pass is the epitome of not playing team ball???
You are stretching far from reality with that statement

Reaction Score
In no way is Uconn basketball about turning the ball over and not getting back. Never was. Never will be. I think waqoit is just frustrated which is understandable. But we need to understand that Laurier and Gilbert have been on longer leashes than the rest of the team. Ollie is trying to build up their confidence so they can mentally recover from their injuries. They haven’t played in a while and it’s inportant that they get their rhythm even if I️t means a few bumps along the way

pj

Reaction Score
I don't understand this sentiment. What do have against your team playing team ball?

He said he's in favor of bumming you out. A rather unfriendly sentiment, but not a sign of opposition to team basketball.

Reaction Score
I liked the starting 5 against Queens:

1 - Gilbert
2 - Adams
3 - Polley
4 - Larrier
5 - Diarra

That's 3 players who are listed at 6'8" who are almost interchangeable, along with our best two guards. Larrier and Polley both have some solid guard skills as well, and we should be pretty versatile defensively. Wouldn't be too surprised if we went with that against Colgate, especially if we are expecting them to play zone to start.

Reaction Score
And what reality is that?

We have no idea what it is this year yet do we? But we know what you would like it to be obviously because you have seen the year already and how it will play out, all in one play in a fn exhibition game. Amazing!:rolleyes:

By the way I remember the play. AG tried to cut the mustard with a know look high pass to a guy down low and he overcooked it no doubt, ugly pass but not the only one by a UConn player mind you. Anyway he then ran back beat the guys down court on a 2 on 1 but elected to not foul or take a charge which was pretty smart considering it was an exhibition game and he was out all last year. You prefer to call it "plays no defense" I like him not doing anything stupid in a meaningless play. Now if he stood and watched at half court you may have a point but what he did was fine and I am sure what KO would have wanted considering the situation.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He's starting unless and until his starting hurts the team.
Agree with the direction of your sentiment, but not the magnitude.
He'll start even if he hurts the team.
It will have ramifications down the road, after he's gone, if Larrier is not allowed to play through games when he hurts the team, which I'm guessing are going to happen.

BY tends to be RIGHT NOW RIGHT NOW.
I trust that Ollie is more forward looking.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
We have no idea what it is this year yet do we? But we know what you would like it to be obviously because you have seen the year already and how it will play out, all in one play in a fn exhibition game. Amazing!:rolleyes:

By the way I remember the play. AG tried to cut the mustard with a know look high pass to a guy down low and he overcooked it no doubt, ugly pass but not the only one by a UConn player mind you.

Aren't you kind of agreeing with me here? And it's two games. I watched the PC game. And of course I hope I'm wrong. The winter goes by faster when UConn is winning. Be honest, do you see this year playing out any different than the last 3? A good win or two when the shots are falling, a couple of WTF losses and an overall offense that is as fun to watch as having dental work. I think team ball gets us to the Big Dance.

Reaction Score
Aren't you kind of agreeing with me here? And it's two games. I watched the PC game. And of course I hope I'm wrong. The winter goes by faster when UConn is winning. Be honest, do you see this year playing out any different than the last 3? A good win or two when the shots are falling, a couple of WTF losses and an overall offense that is as fun to watch as having dental work. I think team ball gets us to the Big Dance.

wrong side of the bed?

EVEN I ... in my misery ... can be upbeat. It isn't even Game One yet. I can conceive of a scenario that we are much better. And for this moment: I love our young guys. I do absolutely see this as far better than the last 3.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
I think they should start small.
Gilbert
Adams
Vital
Larrier
Cobb

Larrier can flash to the foul line against the zone. He can make passes to cutting players or kick out for open looks. Cobb can hit the glass, Diarra will come in to spell Cobb and or Larrier. Anderson will spell Vital and Gilbert. Should be fun to watch. I just hope they can rebound and push the tempo.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom