The sheer stupidity of the coaching staff on full display | Page 5 | The Boneyard

The sheer stupidity of the coaching staff on full display

Status
Not open for further replies.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Because of the time clock. A 2 or 3 score lead with 3:20 to go is much more secure than a 7 point lead with 2:30 to go. You don't convert there and Pitt gets the ball with a chance to tie.

I really don't understand why this is so difficult.

Utterly disagree, but that's the fun of hindsight. The pass that was completed to ice the game was on the surface far riskier than the intercepted pass and if incomplete would have stopped the clock when a run would have kept the clock going, and, absent a fumble, would at least have resulted in a punt putting Pitt with a long field, and no TOs. We won the damn game is the bottom line and our maligned (fairly) OC finally does the unexpected, the play was perfect but the QB makes a horrendous throw, and GDL gets chopped up by some of you. The third quarter is what he should get chopped up for.

Reaction Score
Utterly disagree, but that's the fun of hindsight. The pass that was completed to ice the game was on the surface far riskier than the intercepted pass and if incomplete would have stopped the clock when a run would have kept the clock going, and, absent a fumble, would at least have resulted in a punt putting Pitt with a long field, and no TOs. We won the damn game is the bottom line and our maligned (fairly) OC finally does the unexpected, the play was perfect but the QB makes a horrendous throw, and GDL gets chopped up by some of you. The third quarter is what he should get chopped up for.

What do you disagree with? I really don't get it. Was it a riskier throw? No question. I wasn't even arguing that.

But how can you possibly disagree that it's better to be up 3 scores with 3:20 remaining than 1 score with 2:3o remaining?

Reaction Score
This thread is the equivalent of UConn fans complaining about a blemish on Jessica Alba's inner thigh. We won an actual football game. I don't know about you, but given how this team has played so far, I'm gonna go ahead and give them a pass on this one.

1282364220202.gif

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
What do you disagree with? I really don't get it. Was it a riskier throw? No question. I wasn't even arguing that.

But how can you possibly disagree that it's better to be up 3 scores with 3:20 remaining than 1 score with 2:3o remaining?

Did I disagree that being up 3 scores is better? Um, no. I disagree that it was a bad call. Caught Pitt totally by surprise, Griffin was as wide open as the Texas prairie, and the bad luck on a bad throw was that the interceptor was way out of position. Tell me how you are sure that if we run a) we don't fumble or b) we definitely make the FG? That pass if done right was an easy score. With the clock running down, and the fact that it had become a 1 score game, that last pass was a far worse decision that turned out okay. The tale of 2 passes.

We won, and if nothing else, I hope that the intercepted pass makes us harder for future opponents to predict and does not shove GDL totally into his overly-conservative ways. BTW, if we we have such a good D, being up 2 scores with just under 5 shouldn't be that big a problem, should it. And again, yes, 3 scores probably eliminates any issue. A touchdown is a score last I knew.

Reaction Score
Did I disagree that being up 3 scores is better? Um, no. I disagree that it was a bad call. Caught Pitt totally by surprise, Griffin was as wide open as the Texas prairie, and the bad luck on a bad throw was that the interceptor was way out of position. Tell me how you are sure that if we run a) we don't fumble or b) we definitely make the FG? That pass if done right was an easy score. With the clock running down, and the fact that it had become a 1 score game, that last pass was a far worse decision that turned out okay. The tale of 2 passes.

We won, and if nothing else, I hope that the intercepted pass makes us harder for future opponents to predict and does not shove GDL totally into his overly-conservative ways. BTW, if we we have such a good D, being up 2 scores with just under 5 shouldn't be that big a problem, should it. And again, yes, 3 scores probably eliminates any issue. A touchdown is a score last I knew.

The fact we were up 2 scores and had a 90% chance for 3 scores has everything to do with the horridness of that call. That's the whole point we're making. The fact it caught Pitt by surprise is totally irrelevant. It caught Pitt by surprise because their coaching staff was shocked that anyone would attempt something that stupid.

Reaction Score
The fact we were up 2 scores and had a 90% chance for 3 scores has everything to do with the horridness of that call. That's the whole point we're making. The fact it caught Pitt by surprise is totally irrelevant. It caught Pitt by surprise because their coaching staff was shocked that anyone would attempt something that stupid.

Pretty much sums it up.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

Right, it was unnecessary risk. Stupid. It's the kind of call that fails to see the big picture.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Right, it was unnecessary risk. Stupid. It's the kind of call that fails to see the big picture.
So is your take on the 3rd down pass on our last drive was a smart risk? If you didn't like the first call, you certainly can't like the second one.

Reaction Score
So is your take on the 3rd down pass on our last drive was a smart risk? If you didn't like the first call, you certainly can't like the second one.

Huh? The last call was not an unnecessary risk. You run there you punt the ball to Pitt who has a chance to tie the game. There are more similarities in peanut butter and Clorox than there are in those two scenarios. I really have a hard believing that people can't see this.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Huh? The last call was not an unnecessary risk. You run there you punt the ball to Pitt who has a chance to tie the game. There are more similarities in peanut butter and Clorox than there are in those two scenarios. I really have a hard believing that people can't see this.

Hmm, the clock is running down, we use a play that could save Pitt 45 seconds and the pass was pretty well defended. Is 3 scores ahead better than 2, yes. Is getting a first down better than not, yes, but is stopping the clock a good alternative.? Me thinks you would have been woofing at that last pass if it had been incomplete and turned the ball over to Pitt. Why anyone can't see that is beyond me.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

If you did the 1st, you wouldn't have put yourself in the position of needing the second.

But this is a false comparison. In the first case, you take more time off the clock with less risk and still make it a 3 score game by running. You actually do better by running.

For the second call, of course you try for the 1st down. If you succeed, it's game over (unless you hand off twice before taking a knee). The other team gets the ball next play whether you punt or throw a pick.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
If you did the 1st, you wouldn't have put yourself in the position of needing the second.

But this is a false comparison. In the first case, you take more time off the clock with less risk and still make it a 3 score game by running. You actually do better by running.

For the second call, of course you try for the 1st down. If you succeed, it's game over (unless you hand off twice before taking a knee). The other team gets the ball next play whether you punt or throw a pick.

You really think that this board would have said great call if the pass was incomplete and gave Pitt an extra 45 seconds? Easy to say not after the fact.

Reaction Score
You really think that this board would have said great call if the pass was incomplete and gave Pitt an extra 45 seconds? Easy to say not after the fact.

I am finding that my play calling has been running about a 99% success rate the day after the game.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

I don't care what this board says. The 2nd pass was the right call, the 1st pass wasn't; which was the answer to your question.

Reaction Score

What is it that we're saying that isn't getting through?

In one instance, UConn is up by 2 scores and has an excellent chance at 3.

In the other, UConn is only up by 1 score.

This means it is entirely reasonable to like the second call but not the first.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
What is it that we're saying that isn't getting through?

In one instance, UConn is up by 2 scores and has an excellent chance at 3.

In the other, UConn is only up by 1 score.

This means it is entirely reasonable to like the second call but not the first.

And vice versa. What is not getting through to you is that if that 2nd pass is incomplete (forget intercepted) and Uconn punts to even inside the 20 somewhere, but Pitt has an extra 45 seconds and scores to tie, you can tell me with a straight key board that that pass would not have been ripped on this board?

Reaction Score
Wow - this thread helps me understand how PP and GDL can make mistakes that even the average fan wouldn't make - because apparently some average fans really would make the same mistakes.

Yikes.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I don't care what this board says. The 2nd pass was the right call, the 1st pass wasn't; which was the answer to your question.

designall.dll

Reaction Score
And vice versa. What is not getting through to you is that if that 2nd pass is incomplete (forget intercepted) and Uconn punts to even inside the 20 somewhere, but Pitt has an extra 45 seconds and scores to tie, you can tell me with a straight key board that that pass would not have been ripped on this board?

I don't think it would be ripped, but nor is it relevant. The only thing that matters is good football decision-making.

Up 2 or 3 scores with 3:20 left makes the first throw horrible.
Up 1 score with 2:30 remaining makes the second throw a good one.

Reaction Score
Hmm, the clock is running down, we use a play that could save Pitt 45 seconds and the pass was pretty well defended. Is 3 scores ahead better than 2, yes. Is getting a first down better than not, yes, but is stopping the clock a good alternative.? Me thinks you would have been woofing at that last pass if it had been incomplete and turned the ball over to Pitt. Why anyone can't see that is beyond me.

I don't know how to argue against this post since I was preparing to charge the field and kick P in the nuts if they ran the ball on 3rd & 9.

Reaction Score
Not running on the 3rd and eight was definitely the play to win. It's nice that the staff saw this. I fully expected Pitt to roar down the field and tie if we had to punt there. Then we are running the ball after the first down, twice. PP talks about the chance to get to 31 as a pretty good offensive day. Well 7 points of that were due to special teams and Nick Williams. No punt return for six and we don't win this game or the Maryland game. Again we go scoreless in a second half. With many of his comments and the clock issues PP just seems slow to me. We need someone who is one step ahead not pondering what to do all the time. The team was really genuinely pumped up at the end of the game. You could tell by how loud they sang the fight song. It was great to see. Time to go to Louisville and leave it all on the field.

Reaction Score
Put mor

Put more clearly, I have as good a vantage point of the whole field from my seats as you can have. That play had Pitt all screwed up. It was probably the most unexpectedly decent call in the half. Please note that the people who think we should have just taken a knee on the last possession (I agree) are the same people who are confident that two running plays up the middle would have turned into a sure 3 points. No such as thing as a sure 3 points, and I know exactly why they are saying that. But the "results:" test is being applied to the pass, a totally good call that wound up with a bad result, and it took atrocious defensive position for the ball to be intercepted. That defender was a good 10-12 yards away from anyone and if the ball is on target, no way he is there to stop Griffin. And wow, the impact of UConn not falling on the ball to assure a field goal might just make the next couple of opponents worry a bit about how to defend us.

Only reason that DB was able to get the ball, was because he was in the back corner of the endzone strong side, and had no idea what the hell had happened, and was just standing back there reading the QB's eyes, he broke on the ball when it was released and came across the back of the end zone and made a good going to the ground catch. If he was focused on any other player except the QB, he doesn't make it to that ball, and it drops incomplete.

The pass, was a perfectly thrown post pattern ball. There was no receiver there. I have no idea what the route was, or the play call, but the Pitt D completely broke down, and I think Whitmer expected Griffin to be at the post. Griffin was left wide open on the seam down the hashes, and stayed there. He was completely turned around looking for the ball when it came out of Whitmer's hands. To me - it looked like everybody downfield, us and them, except for whitmer, had no idea what was happening,because believe it or not, I completely expected a post throw as the primary read, out of that play on that defensive formation.

Everybody on both sides seemed confused as to why nobody was covered, and there were no other players around them. The only fault on Whitmer, I think, is that he probably made the throw based on what he expected to happen, and not what was actually happening, and that kind of awareness, gets better with more and more game reps. That kid is a player.

We're 4-6, and get Louisville next, I hope our guys are pumped, and have the best practices they've ever had before we go on the road again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom