The sheer stupidity of the coaching staff on full display | The Boneyard

The sheer stupidity of the coaching staff on full display

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Run the ball. Kick a FG go up 27-10. Make it a three score game. With less than five minutes left.

Nope.

GDL passes into the end zone. Ball is intercepted.

Pitt dives and makes the score 24-17 with over two minutes left.

Then, the Huskies get a first down with under two minutes left and GDL runs two plays. He could have gone into victory formation. But he run McCombs into the pile begging for a disaster.

High school coaches in their first year use better judgement.

Let me repeat.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
"Although I agree with your sentiments in the long run......Shut up......We finally won a game......We put points on the board......The play was aggressive and wasn't cowardice as usual........You'd be the same guy saying fire him for not taking a shot at the endzone, if he ran the ball and then our kicker blew the FG........And they came back to win.......He was finally aggressive there and his play call worked Whitmer blew it......>I don't blame him he's been a rag doll all year long and got happy feet but it actually wasn't GDL's fault......And then he actually threw on 3rd and 8 with 2minutes on the clock for the first down................Now this is wayyyyyyyyy to little to late but seriously give it a rest for one night and be happy for the players tonight......"

Not my words, but from someone here on the yard that think you are stupid.

http://www.the-boneyard.com/threads/fire-gdl.27089/

Reaction Score
That was a great call. Just didn't execute..(grin)

Chandler had a great night. Let's just enjoy it. He made up for the int on the last first down with a defensive player holding onto his ankle.

Reaction Score
Good call. Get TD to wrap up game. Was so wide open. That is how Uconn should play. Ever see a Uconn kicker miss a field goal or RB fumble on a running play?

Reaction Score
It was the first time I yelled out ... "gimme McCombs up the middle three times and kick a FG" ...

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
That was a great call. Just didn't execute..(grin)

Chandler had a great night. Let's just enjoy it. He made up for the int on the last first down with a defensive player holding onto his ankle.

Your post is so right. Yes, that was a bad throw to a wide open guy. But that pick was a total fluke. What is the DB doing there in the first place?

And that 1st down throw was the throw of a tough guy. Despite getting pounded this season, he hung in there when it mattered.

Why wasn't he allowed to try to put the game away in the 3rd period? Why was it the stall until he was put in the position of having to save the game late?

Reaction Score
Run the ball. Kick a FG go up 27-10. Make it a three score game. With less than five minutes left.

Nope.

Then, the Huskies get a first down with under two minutes left and GDL runs two plays. He could have gone into victory formation. But he run McCombs into the pile begging for a disaster.

Let me repeat.

Congratulations!!!!! You have set the new standard for 20/20 hindsight. There was nobody within a 10 yard radius of Griffin, perhaps it would have been the right call if Nebrich was under center.

Reaction Score
That was a great call. Decent pass and the game is over. He seems to overthrow Ryan by 5 yards a lot. But it was one of two poor passes all night. Whit was great and so was that call.

Reaction Score
I believe the "not using the victory formation" is a repeat from last season. I don't recall the exact game, but the situation was similar. Just snap the ball and take a knee, except the call was a handoff the McCombs, who took the ball and just fell down.

The other thing I wonder about was the lack of use of Griffin in the 2nd half. If Pitt adjusted their defense to take him away, then that should have opened up something else for the offense to exploit. Instead, the offense was shut down after halftime.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
That was a great call. Decent pass and the game is over. He seems to overthrow Ryan by 5 yards a lot. But it was one of two poor passes all night. Whit was great and so was that call.

It didn't make sense in context. GDL sits on the ball the entire 3rd quarter. Then when a just an FG salts the game he decides to pass. Embarrassing.

Reaction Score
Here's PP's answer to not being agressive in the second half. "They stopped the run so our play action was not effective. But the pass to Ryan (int) was pretty agressive."

True story. Heard it on WTIC on the way home.

Reaction Score
Funny how Rod Gilmore was like take a knee, take a knee the game is over what are you doing running the football lol. That throw was awful, but you do have to look at the situation, your up 14 a FG makes it a 3 possession game, so getting a TD there doesnt matter.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Here's PP's answer to not being agressive in the second half. "They stopped the run so our play action was not effective. But the pass to Ryan (int) was pretty agressive."

True story. Heard it on WTIC on the way home.

I think this win makes P look even worse.

Reaction Score
In the stands we were all saying that he would run 3 times then kick the fg to ice the game. It didn't make sense to throw there, no matter how wide open griffin was.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score

Nope.

Let me repeat.

I won't get on him for the pass play to Griffin. Griffin was WIDE OPEN and Pitt was having problems with him all game. Whitmer was accurate all game...until that throw. Pitt bit on the play action big time and a good throw makes it 31-10 with little time left. It was a bad throw/bad execution that was the reason for the INT, not the play calling.

I will get on him for not taking a knee at the end of the game. We were all wondering why they weren't taking a knee at the end of the game. Simple math told everyone in our section that they should take a knee. Just another example of GDL and PP's poor clock management skills.

Reaction Score
Even the players knew to take a knee. Lyle took a hand off and basically hit the dirt to avoid a strip.
What I'm surprised at is after the penalty on UConn that gave Pitt a kickoff at the 50, they didn't try an onside kick. Kicking into end zone gives us ball on the 25. A missed onside kick gives us ball at 40. Not much difference and a risk worth taking IMO.

Reaction Score
The Widmer pass in a way reminded me of the Johnny Mac throw last year that was intercepted against Vandy-no need for it at the time just like this one =keeping the other team in the game.

Reaction Score
I get your point but for me there is no comparison between the two. The one at Vandy, on the road, still ranks as one of the all time bonehead calls.

Reaction Score

Nope.

I 100% agree with you. Going up 3 scores with less than 5 minutes to go puts the game away. I don't care that we had thrown the ball well all night, or that Griffin had a big 1st half....that's not the point-the point is, the safest play would have ALSO been the one to ice the game and he didn't do that. And as you pointed out, the failure to go into the Victory formation for 2 plays is mind-boggling. As he did in a previous game.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I 100% agree with you. Going up 3 scores with less than 5 minutes to go puts the game away. I don't care that we had thrown the ball well all night, or that Griffin had a big 1st half....that's not the point-the point is, the safest play would have ALSO been the one to ice the game and he didn't do that. And as you pointed out, the failure to go into the Victory formation for 2 plays is mind-boggling. As he did in a previous game.
Continuing to throw at that point (especially to RG, someone Pitt could not cover in the first half) in the game would have made a lot more sense if we also threw the ball in the third quarter. Once halftime hit, until that drive we regressed to what we had done for the bulk of the season.

Our defensive philosophy: Solve your problems with aggression!

Our offensive coordinator's results : Create your problems with regression!

Reaction Score
The bottom line is NOBODY would be complaining about that play call if Whitmer had completed the easiest pass he had all night, A layup. In fact NOBODY would be complaining about that call if Whitmer had just thrown an incompletion, why he chose to throw it to the other team I have no idea.

BTW there are no guarantees the field goal would be good. Bad snap, block, a repeat of the Temple game.

GDL and P need to be let go after the season, but blaming them for that horribly executed pass when our QB was having a great night seems like piling on.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score

Nope.

Let me repeat.

The runs were sheer stupidity.

Regarding the pass - we always hear that the coaching staff doesn't go for the jugular. That play was an extra point. Pitt sold out for the run. Our best offensive weapon (for the game, at least) gets wide open in the end zone. Our QB had been uber-accurate all game. I have absolutely no problem with the call - it was attacking instead of settling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom