OT: - The Old, the Obscure, and the Forgotten | Page 7 | The Boneyard

OT: The Old, the Obscure, and the Forgotten

Reaction Score
Capricorn Records was a prominent label back in the 70's and 80's with successful acts like the Allman Brothers and Marshall Tucker. They also had some lesser known groups that never really hit the big time, like this one - Grinderswitch. But those guys did produce one great song - "Drifter":

Reaction Score
Here is a band from Weirton, West Virginia that was big in the mid-Atlantic region but just never caught on nationally because of distribution problems with their record company. Crack the Sky and "All American Boy." Just one of many great songs and they still put on a great live show.

Reaction Score
Richie Havens with an old, obscure, but very beautiful song from way back in 1974:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Local act that never came close to busting out as far as I know. Saw them randomly at a big outdoor music festival in Seattle around 20 years ago.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
They are going to be up in Nova Scotia

I've only been to BC and Alberta in Canada, but Nova Scotia and Newfoundland fascinate me. Maybe some day I'll visit the East Coast.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
High Flying Bird - nice soft blues/rock tune by Zephyr, a band that had some local prominence in the Denver/front range area in the 70's. Candy Givens was a great vocalist, and Tommy Bolin played with them at times to boot.
Tommy Bolin is another one we lost too young. Boy, that candle burned bright. I first heard of him when he played on a Billy Cobham album. I wasn't familiar with Zephyr, thanks for that one. Here's another of his:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
My favorite female vocalist. Could sing anything and everything. CNN is doing a documentary on her career and her illness. Cannot wait for it to be aired

Let us know when it airs. She's a fascinating women.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I want to give all the posters kudos for this thread. I've discovered some neat stuff and rediscovered some fond gems. (Also rediscovered some that I'd just as soon forget again.)

Great idea for a thread, Scud!

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Let us know when it airs. She's a fascinating women.
She is surely fascinating. The documentary aired at Tribeca in April. The story claims that CNN will air it in 2019. If I see it advertised, I will post it here. I think she has many fans in the Boneyard.

Reaction Score
I want to give all the posters kudos for this thread. I've discovered some neat stuff and rediscovered some fond gems. (Also rediscovered some that I'd just as soon forget again.)

Great idea for a thread, Scud!

Oh, my pleasure BB, that's for sure. I've always imagined hosting a Sirius radio show with the title of the Old, Obscure and the Forgotten - that would be a lot of fun. It's amazing the quality of the music that can fit into theses categories.

Here's another- the band Full Moon, headed up by Neil Larsen and Buzzy Feiten. This song in particular is quite the joy to listen to:

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
old, obscure, and forgotten. but underneath, it's ace frehley goofin on gene simmons. pops intro'd me to this as a kid, callin me 'eugene' ('I stick my hands in fans for fun') often as he was driving me to the clinic for yet another knucklehead injury..

Reaction Score
The "old' blues/rock based Fleetwood Mac has largely been forgotten - or even never known by many. What a shame - people like Bob Welch, Danny Kirwin, Peter Green, etc produced some great songs:

Reaction Score
Wendy Waldman is one of those artists with real talent but her career never really got into the stratosphere. She played with many artists along the way including Randy Newman, Karla Bonoff, Jimmy Buffett among others. She put out a number of albums featuring quite a few great tunes like this one - North Woods Man:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
This is a duo from central or northern California. They made an album of Tolkien poems they put to music. This is my favorite from that:

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
She put out a number of albums featuring quite a few great tunes like this one - North Woods Man:

That's some tasty slide guitar of some type, dobro I think.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I'm not sure I could name ten percussionists (who aren't drummers). Ralph MacDonald was the only one I could think of who worked in rock as well as jazz. This one (part I as well as part II) was on WLIB in 1978, and I've had a blast listening to it ever since.

Reaction Score
The California duo BB reminded me of these talented folks - Pentangle, from the late 60's or early 70's - great stuff you used to hear regularly on FM back then. Jacki McShee's voice is something delicate and heavenly:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom