The Ohio State adds 4th grad transfer | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Ohio State adds 4th grad transfer

Reaction Score
Per Raoul, they added a fifth grad transfer

WBB: Ohio State lands its 5th grad transfer — Carmen Grande, 5-8 junior point guard out of Madrid, Spain, who tallied 9.2 assists/game in 2017-18 for Ball State

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Per Raoul, they added a fifth grad transfer

WBB: Ohio State lands its 5th grad transfer — Carmen Grande, 5-8 junior point guard out of Madrid, Spain, who tallied 9.2 assists/game in 2017-18 for Ball State

Seems like a good get, but at the same time, if I'm the AD...I'm not sure loading up on grad transfers is the direction I'd want to go. They'll need to do the same next season since their lineup will be mainly grad transfers this year, and they'll all be gone in 2019-20. I understand transfers are prevalent and we see them at every program, but building your team almost exclusively on 1 year transfer players sets a bad precedent IMO and will negatively impact recruiting going forward. If McGuff somehow pulls this off and ends up having a half decent season, I'll be amazed.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
WCBB enters the one and done era. ;)

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
The state of Ohio has some elite 2019 players; not sure OSU gets any of them, though. That should be a sign to the AD when you aren't doing well recruiting in your home state.

Reaction Score
The state of Ohio has some elite 2019 players; not sure OSU gets any of them, though. That should be a sign to the AD when you aren't doing well recruiting in your home state.

or when you bring in zero recuits in 2017 and have several players transfer out. And are forced to recruit 5 grad transfers to have a chance of a respectable season.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I'm guessing they finish between 8th and 10th. A lot will depend on how good the grad transfers mesh together and if they can play in a more competitive conference. Big Ten is never a super strong conference, but the following teams on paper project to be better than Ohio State:
Maryland
Iowa
Minnesota
Nebraska
Michigan
Purdue
Michigan State

Likely stronger than Ohio State:
Indiana

On par with tOSU:
Rutgers
Penn State

Worse than Ohio State:
Illinois
Wisconsin
Northwestern

Just came across this after a crazy week of everything...
Agree with virtually everything you've put down, but have two caveats:
- Indiana will be stronger than Ohio State. This team, if you remember, just won the women's NIT and while they've lost Tyra Buss, they get a pretty good guard in Grace Berger and activate two transfers, Ali Patberg (ND) and Brenna Wise (forward from Pitt, whose was a solid ACC performer)

- Wisconsin. Coach Jonathan Tsipis started from below scratch in Madison and has a building-block recruiting base coming in. In 2019, he is finally starting to put a dent into the Wisconsin recruiting territory. The Badgers will trend upwards....

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
- Indiana will be stronger than Ohio State. This team, if you remember, just won the women's NIT and while they've lost Tyra Buss, they get a pretty good guard in Grace Berger and activate two transfers, Ali Patberg (ND) and Brenna Wise (forward from Pitt, whose was a solid ACC performer)

- Wisconsin. Coach Jonathan Tsipis started from below scratch in Madison and has a building-block recruiting base coming in. In 2019, he is finally starting to put a dent into the Wisconsin recruiting territory. The Badgers will trend upwards....

I like Tsipis and hope he can turn around a dreadful Wisconsin program, but I just don't see a 2-14 team making big strides ahead of Ohio State next year. Their 2018 class has 5 players but none are in the top 100. They've been pretty awful the last several seasons, and I don't see that changing a whole lot this year. As much as Ohio State has underachieved considering the talent they've had, McGuff has had top Big Ten teams every year, so I don't see them dropping past a team like Wisconsin unless something really strange happens.

Agree on Indiana though. Didn't realize how good Wise was.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score

Indiana will also have Jaelynn Penn who was a solid freshmen guard for them. She had some big games this past season for the team when Buss struggled. Specifically the second game against OSU in Bloomington.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I like Tsipis and hope he can turn around a dreadful Wisconsin program, but I just don't see a 2-14 team making big strides ahead of Ohio State next year. Their 2018 class has 5 players but none are in the top 100. They've been pretty awful the last several seasons, and I don't see that changing a whole lot this year. As much as Ohio State has underachieved considering the talent they've had, McGuff has had top Big Ten teams every year, so I don't see them dropping past a team like Wisconsin unless something really strange happens.

Agree on Indiana though. Didn't realize how good Wise was.

Wisconsin will have Imani Lewis from New Jersey who is ranked #41 on ProspectsNation. But I don't see her on Hoopgurlz.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom