The Official "I Hate our Recruiting" Thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

The Official "I Hate our Recruiting" Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
No one is blasting any individual kid.

No one has written off anyone.

If the idea is you can't judge how your recruiting is going based on the information you have - you are probably on the wrong internet.

And to be fair, anything written about any kid that can be taken as a negative is usually in response to someone taking two snipets of game film and someone's height and weight and projecting said 17/18 year old as the solution to all of our problems.

I don't talk about anyone until I watch them in actual games. And in the actual games, the coaching isn't good enough, but in many cases neither are the players.

I love everyone who comes to UCONN and represents the university well. But that doesn't mean we are doing a good job recruiting. And the evidence suggests we are not. That's not a slam on any individual player.

Reaction Score
I know, I wasn't talking about you. Tired of hearing "but, but, Cummings and Fisher and Peart" as if one guy, who could probably be even better under different coaching, is going to turn this around. People are upset with recruiting and he points to one player. One, on a roster of 100+.

Pert is an example of a developmental player that UCONN goes after. Knappe was another that George DeLeone found in Denmark! Everyone talks about how terrible the Offensive line coaches are but you have to factor in the very predictable play calling. George DeLeone was hated by most Boneyarders but Matt Rhule liked him and Temple did pretty good this year. This past year (and previous) everybody stacked the box against us and then when UCONN opened up with the spread we had a Coordinator and staff that couldn't run it effectively.

The fact that Cummings can coach up a developmental player like Fisher (2*) to the place where he is the #1 overall draft pick in the NFL from the MAC is a significant accomplishment and tells me that he can identify raw talent and coach them up. The fact that Fisher went #1 under Cummings has to be encouraging to Matt Pert and all of the other lineman.

Reaction Score
Pert is an example of a developmental player that UCONN goes after. Knappe was another that George DeLeone found in Denmark! Everyone talks about how terrible the Offensive line coaches are but you have to factor in the very predictable play calling. George DeLeone was hated by most Boneyarders but Matt Rhule liked him and Temple did pretty good this year. Everybody stacked the box against us and then when UCONN opened up with the spread we had a Coordinator and staff that couldn't run it effectively.

The fact that Cummings can coach up a developmental player like Fisher to the place where he is the #1 overall draft pick in the NFL from the MAC is a significant accomplishment and tells me that he can identify raw talent and coach them up. The fact that Fisher went #1 under Cummings has to be encouraging to Matt Pert and all of the other lineman.
It's one guy the big boys missed on. Similar to how the entire NFL missed on Tom Brady. I'm tired of hearing about one guy that went#1 overall. That means the guy had a lot of natural born ability to start.

That's not a knock on you,it just means nothing on how good a coach Cummings is. Evidence here shows not very.

Reaction Score
It's one guy the big boys missed on. Similar to how the entire NFL missed on Tom Brady. I'm tired of hearing about one guy that went#1 overall. That means the guy had a lot of natural born ability to start.

That's not a knock on you,it just means nothing on how good a coach Cummings is. Evidence here shows not very.

This is the, I hate our recruiting thread. It's like starting a I hate Barbara Streisand's big nose thread. Some things are pretty obvious. I'm just saying, yeah but she can really sing! We are not going to get the 4's and 5's. I am just pointing out as it has been said many times the reality is UCONN is forced to recruit under the radar, developmental players that need to be coached up. Pert is a pertfect example of what is possible with these type of prospects!

IMG_0405.JPG

Reaction Score
This is the, I hate our recruiting thread. It's like starting a I hate Barbara Streisand's big nose thread. Some things are pretty obvious. I'm just saying, yeah but she can really sing! We are not going to get the 4's and 5's. I am just pointing out as it has been said many times the reality is UCONN is forced to recruit under the radar, developmental players that need to be coached up. Pert is a pertfect example of what is possible with these type of prospects!

View attachment 17628
Just aren't a lot of completely under the radar big guys who move like that. Most will move like Levy. We need to land guys with AAC or G5 level offers with more regularity. Till then we will continue to look like a big, slow, lumbering team.

Reaction Score
Guess what? Time to lose the entitled and elitist attitude. We are who we are and we could be in a long, long downward cycle like many P5 teams are in but they get to be in it and get paid to suck.

If expecting us to be able to recruit better against the MAC, since we play in a conference better than the MAC, is setting unrealistic explanations, then we really should shut the program down.

There are maybe 1-2 unrealistic voices out there arguing we should be recruiting at a P5 level. The rest are upset that we can't even recruit at a MAC level, while playing in a conference BETTER than the MAC.

Reaction Score
I just posted this in the other thread, but it may be a better fit here. How 32 teams missed on drafting Romeo Okwara....in short, its never clear when there is more upside in a player's development....

NFL Draft: How did 32 teams miss on Giants’ DE Romeo Okwara?

Upside Schmupside... Fact is we're an all in upside football team.. Yes, nothing's a sure thing, but when EVERYONE is all upside and we don't have more than a couple of immediate impact guys (and I'm giving them 2 years to be immediate impact guys, which is generous to most FBS P5 programs) and you're getting your a** kicked all over the football field vs. teams we used to soundly beat in the past, with guys the same level talent, but you run a crappy system that you should've been working on in the offseason, but decided to work on it during the season... smh.... doesn't speak to kindly us fans, nor the players, nor the potential recruits... It's just a dumpster fire... which is not good for a football program spending millions of dollars to run...

Reaction Score
Pert is an example of a developmental player that UCONN goes after. Knappe was another that George DeLeone found in Denmark! Everyone talks about how terrible the Offensive line coaches are but you have to factor in the very predictable play calling. George DeLeone was hated by most Boneyarders but Matt Rhule liked him and Temple did pretty good this year. This past year (and previous) everybody stacked the box against us and then when UCONN opened up with the spread we had a Coordinator and staff that couldn't run it effectively.

The fact that Cummings can coach up a developmental player like Fisher (2*) to the place where he is the #1 overall draft pick in the NFL from the MAC is a significant accomplishment and tells me that he can identify raw talent and coach them up. The fact that Fisher went #1 under Cummings has to be encouraging to Matt Pert and all of the other lineman.

Fisher weighed 230 pounds as an OT in HS. That's why he was a 2 star.

You know what tells me he's a terrible coach for UConn? The fact that he has spent three years here being a terrible coach for UConn.

View attachment 17628

UConn is not forced to recruit FCS talent to compete in the AAC.

UConn CHOOSES to recruit FCS talent to compete in the AAC.

Again with the BS strawman. Virtually nobody is asking for 4/5 star players. We want guys that Memphis, Houston, Temple, USF, UCF, ECU, WMU want. I'd like to be thrilled we beat out Navy, but that's difficult considering how excellent the coaching is at Navy. Not Fordham, Columbia, Brown, Tennessee Tech, and Houston Baptist.

Carl, you're choosing to be delusional.

Reaction Score
If expecting us to be able to recruit better against the MAC, since we play in a conference better than the MAC, is setting unrealistic explanations, then we really should shut the program down.

There are maybe 1-2 unrealistic voices out there arguing we should be recruiting at a P5 level. The rest are upset that we can't even recruit at a MAC level, while playing in a conference BETTER than the MAC.

Maybe you need to do a recount. Many people are saying "The only offers they have are low FBS and FCS."

Thanks for pulling just a piece of what I think is why the b.i.tching is what it is. We are a mid major FB program and you can forget about getting recruits that have P5 offers, for the most part.

We got the perfect storm in the beginning and now reality has set in.

Reaction Score

Let me add this. Just to be clear so no one is confused. We are recruiting exactly where are program is located. Mid major, G5.

When we get a coach that can bring us up to the level of Temple and Navy and Houston, then we can beat them for recruits.

We can't beat Houston, Temple and Navy on the field so why expect we can beat them in recruiting? It's really that simple.

"We are UConn from the Big East who went to the Fiesta Bowl, blah, blah, blah.

We are mid major G5 who hired 2 horrible coaches. Until things change we need to get off the entitled and elitist ledge and get real.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Upside Schmupside... Fact is we're an all in upside football team.. Yes, nothing's a sure thing, but when EVERYONE is all upside and we don't have more than a couple of immediate impact guys (and I'm giving them 2 years to be immediate impact guys, which is generous to most FBS P5 programs) and you're getting your a** kicked all over the football field vs. teams we used to soundly beat in the past, with guys the same level talent, but you run a crappy system that you should've been working on in the offseason, but decided to work on it during the season... smh.... doesn't speak to kindly us fans, nor the players, nor the potential recruits... It's just a dumpster fire... which is not good for a football program spending millions of dollars to run...

I'm with you dude.

I just posted because it was somewhat topical as it relates to scouting and missing out on players that are right in front of your face.

Reaction Score
you can forget about getting recruits that have P5 offers, for the most part.

Virtually nobody is arguing we should be. The only ones who keep bringing it up are guys like you making excuses for why we are currently being outrecruited by UMass.

Let me add this. Just to be clear so no one is confused. We are recruiting exactly where are program is located. Mid major, G5.

When we get a coach that can bring us up to the level of Temple and Navy and Houston, then we can beat them for recruits.

We can't beat Houston, Temple and Navy on the field so why expect we can beat them in recruiting? It's really that simple.

We are mid major G5 who hired 2 horrible coaches. Until things change we need to get off the entitled and elitist ledge and get real.

Again, more bullspit from you and Carl.

We are currently ranked last in the AAC.

If we're going to recruit players based off of who we can and can't beat, then you're other thread was 100% correct, we should fold up shop and quit football. Your argument is simple, and stupid. As if coaches say "Tulane is after that kid, and they beat us, so we can't get him, let's focus on who Maine is recruiting"

We aren't recruiting like a mid-major G5, we're being outrecruited by UMass, Texas State, South Alabama, Troy, the entire AAC, Toledo, Louisiana Tech, Arkansas State, MTSU, FAU, Georgia Southern.

You love attacking other posters while pretending you don't. This isn't about a sense of entitlement. I don't feel entitled to recruit better than anyone. But I expect that if we're going to compete, then we're going to try and win.

Diaco quit on winning games his first year (save your BS excuses because he's built a larger, nastier dumpster fire than he inherited), and if the AD isn't going to replace a guy who can't recruit better than UMass, North Dakota State, and Harvard, then we have given up, and the school is wasting far too much money trying to field an AAC level team.

Reaction Score

an unfortunate tough pill to swallow...
reality is right in front of our faces guys. hard to believe, but real.

Reaction Score
an unfortunate tough pill to swallow...
reality is right in front of our faces guys. hard to believe, but real.
I'd love to recruit at a mid-major G5 level.

We're last in the AAC, and aren't even recruiting well enough to compete in the MAC.

Reaction Score
If I read the tea leaves right and so we are all working off the same page, the offer comparatives for argument sake are...;)

Any P5 offers = great
G5 offers depending on specific league/schools = good
Other G5 offers (non-MWC/non MAC = Meh
G5 Independents (Army/UMass) = Meh+
FCS offers = bad

Geography makes a big difference. Not a lot of MAC teams (outside of Buffalo) recruit in our Northeast/MidAtlantic footprint so there aren't many other schools to compare to.

Reaction Score
If I read the tea leaves right and so we are all working off the same page, the offer comparatives for argument sake are...;)

Any P5 offers = great
G5 offers depending on specific league/schools = good
Other G5 offers (non-MWC/non MAC = Meh
G5 Independents (Army/UMass) = Meh+
FCS offers = bad

Geography makes a big difference. Not a lot of MAC teams (outside of Buffalo) recruit in our Northeast/MidAtlantic footprint so there aren't many other schools to compare to.
What cures this is winning, or at least looking like you have a clue. Scrapping your whole system you kept telling us was the way to win here with 3 games left screamed making it up as you along.

Reaction Score
What cures this is winning, or at least looking like you have a ing clue. Scrapping your whole system you kept telling us was the way to win here with 3 games left screamed making it up as you along.

Soooooo ... if we are winning then Sunbelt/MEAC only offers are okay?

(you know what I mean).

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
I see that you skipped over the BGSU and Toledo offers. Toledo finished 9-3 and beat Maine 45-3 (who we squeaked by 24-21). We are not in a position to act all high and mighty with our recruiting.

Besides, if you look at the video you can see he is a very big kid moving downfield and pushing opponents to the ground with his blocks. The fact that he had interest from 15 schools other than UConn, no matter the football reputation, cannot be anything other than a good thing.

I really don't get the need to express the constant negativity (not just you) on a public message board. It cannot help recruiting.
So true. I get flamed on-line for my job and it SUCKS. I hate reading about how bad/dumb/misinformed I am by people who do not know me - never even met me!

Reaction Score
Soooooo ... if we are winning then Sunbelt/MEAC only offers are okay?

(you know what I mean).
Hypothetically yes. I was a staunch defender of Edsall's recruiting because the results were typically a competitive team. It would have been nice if he was able to take the next step and recruit a little better to get us over the hump, but Edsall was good at what he did.

Diaco, and his staff, haven't shown the ability to recruit AT our level. And worse, they haven't shown the ability to develop players to compete at our level.

If Diaco could win 8-9 games and go to decent (for our conference) bowl games with Sunbelt/MEAC offers then good for him. But he can't.

I'm not saying these players aren't good enough to compete in the AAC. But a lot of other coaches have made that determination based on their offers. That said, most of these guys would be better off committing elsewhere where they'll get better coaching. I have no doubt that some of these players will be fine. But our margin for error is razor thin based on who we're competing for recruits with. And we aren't competing with the AAC for recruits (epic fail), we're recruiting well below that level. That is unacceptable, and it doesn't take an entitlement attitude to want to recruit against the peers in your conference.

Reaction Score
Virtually nobody is arguing we should be. The only ones who keep bringing it up are guys like you making excuses for why we are currently being outrecruited by UMass.

Again, more bullspit from you and Carl.

We are currently ranked last in the AAC.

If we're going to recruit players based off of who we can and can't beat, then you're other thread was 100% correct, we should fold up shop and quit football. Your argument is simple, and stupid. As if coaches say "Tulane is after that kid, and they beat us, so we can't get him, let's focus on who Maine is recruiting"

We aren't recruiting like a mid-major G5, we're being outrecruited by UMass, Texas State, South Alabama, Troy, the entire AAC, Toledo, Louisiana Tech, Arkansas State, MTSU, FAU, Georgia Southern.

You love attacking other posters while pretending you don't. This isn't about a sense of entitlement. I don't feel entitled to recruit better than anyone. But I expect that if we're going to compete, then we're going to try and win.

Diaco quit on winning games his first year (save your BS excuses because he's built a larger, nastier dumpster fire than he inherited), and if the AD isn't going to replace a guy who can't recruit better than UMass, North Dakota State, and Harvard, then we have given up, and the school is wasting far too much money trying to field an AAC level team.

There is no responding to someone like you. What I stated was pretty clear and you twist and turn it into the "scarecrow straw man of the year".

Whatever dude.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22