The Official "I Hate our Recruiting" Thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

The Official "I Hate our Recruiting" Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Whaler,

If your intent is to display your disdain for Diaco (which I happen to share by the way) there was a thread begun for that purpose.

As far as engaging in conversation about recruiting, I didn't realize that within the first few days of a kid committing here the conversation needed to be limited to declaring whether that recruit was a success or failure.

As far as the fan base and some delusions they may have, I have found it quite humorous that so many believed that just because we decided to throw our hat in the ring for football a decade and a half ago, everything should have automatically fallen into place. That people here criticize being in conference with schools like Tulsa and Tulane when most knew nothing of those schools prior to our joining the AAC.

So your complaints are about housekeeping and under which thread the conversation occurs.

You did manage to somehow go back to a single recruit rather than the bigger picture - like I said intially if you don't want to read recruiting commentary you are probably on the wrong internet.

Last edited:

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
UConn recruiting in football is futile. It's like starting a 5 player game of Civilization and the other 4 teams start on fertile green hills by the sea and UConn is the landlocked desert surrounded by stronger, more prepared forces on all sides. Kids just aren't going to come here to play football, it's purely cultural. The good guys we do get we have to develop ourselves, but when you realize the elites of the game are developing guys just as well of not better but simply starting with an infinitely better product, it makes following football recruiting exhausting.
A+ and a like from me for you Civilization reference!

Reaction Score
I don't have an issue with blasting the recruiting, Lord knows it's warranted. I'll say to the cows come home, where are the Diaco impact recruits?

I do find it tasteless that it has to happen in a thread dedicated to a particular recruit.

This all comes down to what we all feared about Diaco after his bizarre press conference before his 1st game against BYU, and was confirmed to us by the last game of his 1st year. He flat out sucks in all areas of coaching.

Almost held off until the very end. Valiant effort!

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Actually, I think we have been pretty tame overall. The kids and their families will have to learn very early on to block out fandom. We are fans doing what fans do. While I think we have to show some care and respect, I don't think we should have to silence ourselves completely in the process. Boil it down, all that has been said here is that this recruit is fine, but we also want to see us win our share of recruits that are also pursued by our G5 competition. Thats not really such a big deal.

Anyway, the coaches just spend days buttering these recruits up telling them how great they are and how they fit into the scheme. Why should they or would they listen to a bunch a dudes who have zero real world experience coaching or recruiting. From day one you have to identify when fans are just being fans and learn to do your thing with your own confidence.

Reaction Score
My boy Randy is to blame for this rediculous back and forth, along with Geno and JC. Here's why.

Geno and JC win NC's. UConn becomes a national brand.

Randy gets hired, builds a staff that not only knows how to coach up players, they stick around and create great continuity and manage to snag an NFL QB.

The perfect storm gave us something that just doesn't happen normally in the FBS world.

We think because we are UConn, this is how it's supposed to be, because we're UConn damn it.

Guess what? Time to lose the entitled and elitist attitude. We are who we are and we could be in a long, long downward cycle like many P5 teams are in but they get to be in it and get paid to suck.

Bottom line is we were late to the party. The worse things that could have happened were for RE to get hired and Dan O to stay home. Set unreal expectations.
Then why are we trying? If we shouldn't expect anything why don't we drop schollies and play in the Patriot league

Reaction Score
Almost held off until the very end. Valiant effort!
I tried. Just every time I think about a Diaco press conference I get angry. Never seen a coach so disconnected from reality.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Actually, I think we have been pretty tame overall. The kids and their families will have to learn very early on to block out fandom. We are fans doing what fans do. While I think we have to show some care and respect, I don't think we should have to silence ourselves completely in the process. Boil it down, all that has been said here is that this recruit is fine, but we also want to see us win our share of recruits that are also pursued by our G5 competition. Thats not really such a big deal.

Anyway, the coaches just spend days buttering these recruits up telling them how great they are and how they fit into the scheme. Why should they or would they listen to a bunch a dudes who have zero real world experience coaching or recruiting. From day one you have to identify when fans are just being fans and learn to do your thing with your own confidence.

I imagine everyone here hopes that James Tunstall is a first team AAC selection and plays 10+ years in the NFL. We are just hopefully he gets to play for a legitimate FBS coaching staff.

Reaction Score
Then why are we trying? If we shouldn't expect anything why don't we drop schollies and play in the Patriot league

Again reading is fundamental. My point is some people's expectations are based on past results that one should not have gotten, except for the previously mentioned perfect storm.

Reaction Score
Again reading is fundamental. My point is some people's expectations are based on past results that one should not have gotten, except for the previously mentioned perfect storm.
So our expectations our based on what we used to be? If we can't reach that level of basic mediocrity then again I ask what are we doing here?

Reaction Score
It's also not doing the program any favors. You never know who's watching. If you think a 17 year old kid would read this board and not think anything of what gets said here, then I've got a bridge to sell you.
For all intents and purposed we have a lame duck Coach and no OC. That is far more damaging than message board banter on a FAN SITE.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
For all intents and purposed we have a lame duck Coach and no OC. That is far more damaging than message board banter on a FAN SITE.

If someone is going to pick their school based on how nice the message board is... the Boneyard is tame compared to almost every other legitimate program.

Keeping Diaco leaves UConn in a spot where they can't possibly hire an OC who can fix things because it's potentially career ending. Hey do you want to be our OC? /watches tape. "No Thanks".

Reaction Score
If someone is going to pick their school based on how nice the message board is... the Boneyard is tame compared to almost every other legitimate program.

Keeping Diaco leaves UConn in a spot where they can't possibly hire an OC who can fix things because it's potentially career ending. Hey do you want to be our OC? /watches tape. "No Thanks".
Well, I don't agree with career ending part. Failed coaches get recycled all the time. I mean working for P wasn't a career ender for TJ.

Coaching under an idiot savant of a head coach can't be too enticing when he lacks the savant part though.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Well, I don't agree with career ending part. Failed coaches get recycled all the time. I mean working for P wasn't a career ender for TJ.

Coaching under an idiot savant of a head coach can't be too enticing when he lacks the savant part though.

This is a much worse situation than what TJ walked into. He also sat out an entire year and then spent a year as an 'analyst' before landing at USF. He did land on his feet in the end- but taking the UConn OC job is a huge risk if you have a good job or a promising career.

Reaction Score
This is a much worse situation than what TJ walked into. He also sat out an entire year and then spent a year as an 'analyst' before landing at USF. He did land on his feet in the end- but taking the UConn OC job is a huge risk if you have a good job or a promising career.
Wow. Have to digest that we are worse going into year 4 of D than we were going into year 3 of P.

This OC job is going to a current position Coach or an OC from the fcs level. I'm under no illusion that it's going to be some up and comer.

I've never been more bummed about the status of this program than right now, and a lot of it is what we're discussing in the other thread, the lack of Diaco impact recruits.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Wow. Have to digest that we are worse going into year 4 of D than we were going into year 3 of P.

This OC job is going to a current position Coach or an OC from the fcs level. I'm under no illusion that it's going to be some up and comer.

I've never been more bummed about the status of this program than right now, and a lot of it is what we're discussing in the other thread, the lack of Diaco impact recruits.

Not just worse. Way worse. Can you imagine this team playing Michigan and Maryland in weeks 2 and 3 next year?

Reaction Score
Not just worse. Way worse. Can you imagine this team playing Michigan and Maryland in weeks 2 and 3 next year?
Face palm worthy. The only thing worse would be Diaco's post game explanations. I took some heat on the board after the UVA game for knocking Diaco's spiel about scoring being down by design. Fact is the signs were there from the Maine game and I refused to see the disaster on the horizon. Literally getting worse by the year under this coach.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
If "performance = recruiting + player development + game planning + game management" then recruiting's probably the least of our problems.
-- If we could recruit from the NFL, we might be able to win with our current coaching staff;
-- As it is, we have to look at incoming recruits as if they'll never be better than the are when they get here and they need to be good enough to overcome 4th and 19 fakes
I get that 5 star guys are 5 star guys but four years in the talent gap between a team of 2-star recruits and a team of 3-star recruits should be pretty thin. Tulane didn't roll us on their talent level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom