The Official 2016 NY Yankees Thread | Page 10 | The Boneyard

The Official 2016 NY Yankees Thread

Reaction Score
Seems pretty likely that at least McCann and either Gardner or Ellsbury will be gone by next year. They don't really have anyone to take over at 3B without forcing someone out of position. Closest guy is Miguel Andujar down in AA. Headley has actually been pretty decent for the better part of this year, but has regressed in August.

Getting rid of Ellsbury will be tough unless the Yanks are willing to eat a good portion of his contract - $21 million per year for the next 4 seasons. Frack.

Reaction Score
I don't know what I like more. Gary Sanchez hitting the out of the ball or throwing out every single person trying to run on him with that cannon arm.

Nevermind, it is easily the hitting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Girardi is an idiot pull Pineda on 85 pitches and pitch Swarzak in a key situation against a great lineup in Seattle in a game the Yankees had to have. Its not the first time Girardi has done it either I think Joe cheats on his wife with Swarzak its sickening. Yankees are in it but throwing away too many key games. The Starters can't go deep into games to save their lives at this point of the season you have to pitch 6 innings as a starter you just have to you can't always go to the pen early.

Reaction Score
Girardi is an idiot pull Pineda on 85 pitches and pitch Swarzak in a key situation against a great lineup in Seattle in a game the Yankees had to have. Its not the first time Girardi has done it either I think Joe cheats on his wife with Swarzak its sickening. Yankees are in it but throwing away too many key games. The Starters can't go deep into games to save their lives at this point of the season you have to pitch 6 innings as a starter you just have to you can't always go to the pen early.

The team as it is built today is not a playoff team. No where near enough starting pitching and not enough experience on the field. That said, I am focused on 2018 and not 2016 right now and with that, I have found it enjoyable to watch these Yankees right now. Thus, I am willing to give Girardi a pass. As for Pineda, at best, he is a #3 man in the rotation; but he is still young at 27. I think after his injury history, the Yanks have him on a annual pitch count limit. Could be worse. Remember the guy the Yanks traded to get him? Last I checked, Montero was benched by Seattle a few seasons back and is now playing AAA ball in Buffalo as a DH and 1st Baseman. The same guy who was once ahead of Sanchez in the competition to find the long-term replacement for Posada.

Reaction Score
The team as it is built today is not a playoff team. No where near enough starting pitching and not enough experience on the field. That said, I am focused on 2018 and not 2016 right now and with that, I have found it enjoyable to watch these Yankees right now. Thus, I am willing to give Girardi a pass. As for Pineda, at best, he is a #3 man in the rotation; but he is still young at 27. I think after his injury history, the Yanks have him on a annual pitch count limit. Could be worse. Remember the guy the Yanks traded to get him? Last I checked, Montero was benched by Seattle a few seasons back and is now playing AAA ball in Buffalo as a DH and 1st Baseman. The same guy who was once ahead of Sanchez in the competition to find the long-term replacement for Posada.

I get that its all about the future I'm just pissed about last nights game thats all, it just gets annoying not seeing the starters go at least 6 innings, I like Girardi long term I just dont think he has much of a feel for the game. I get pulling Pineda earlier in the season but not at this point in the year where every game is critical. I dont think 6 innings and 100 pitches should be too much to ask, baseball has just become too much of a pu$$ified sport in general, I'm not saying you have to go 9 innings 300 innings like the old days I get that, I'm just asking for 6 innings 90-100 pitches thats it. You play the odds do you keep Pineda in at 85 pitches or pitch Swarzak against that Seattle lineup in a key spot. Oh well it is what it is this year is a tearing down the house year and next year will be a transition year for the Yankees.

Reaction Score
I get that its all about the future I'm just pissed about last nights game thats all, it just gets annoying not seeing the starters go at least 6 innings, I like Girardi long term I just dont think he has much of a feel for the game. I get pulling Pineda earlier in the season but not at this point in the year where every game is critical. I dont think 6 innings and 100 pitches should be too much to ask, baseball has just become too much of a pu$$ified sport in general, I'm not saying you have to go 9 innings 300 innings like the old days I get that, I'm just asking for 6 innings 90-100 pitches thats it. You play the odds do you keep Pineda in at 85 pitches or pitch Swarzak against that Seattle lineup in a key spot. Oh well it is what it is this year is a tearing down the house year and next year will be a transition year for the Yankees.

Yanks just placed Swarzak on the 15 day DL, he's likely done for the season.

Reaction Score
Yanks just placed Swarzak on the 15 day DL, he's likely done for the season.
Nah. The DL will hold him until rosters expand on 9/1. He'll be back. My rotator cuff is inflamed just watching him.

Reaction Score
McCann will go to the first reasonable offer from a team he won't veto (Atlanta?) and at this point they'll trade Gardner for a bag of balls.

I would consider giving Castro a shot at third and putting Mateo at second next spring.
I get the sentiment, but Mateo is not making the leap from A+ ball to MLB before 2018 at the earliest. Not sure Castro is right for 3B, but if they need someone to fill in at 2B, Tyler Wade is alot closer in AA than Mateo, who is a year further away and not having a particularly good season, either statistically, or maturity wise.

Reaction Score
Sanchez for MVP, Tanaka has really turned a corner at age 27 we should see him at his peak. Next 9 games are playoff games for the Yankees, 3 vs Orioles, 3 @ Royals, and 3 @ Orioles.

Reaction Score
Sanchez for MVP, Tanaka has really turned a corner at age 27 we should see him at his peak. Next 9 games are playoff games for the Yankees, 3 vs Orioles, 3 @ Royals, and 3 @ Orioles.

As long as his arm doesn't explode, it's a ticking time bomb.

Reaction Score
As long as his arm doesn't explode, it's a ticking time bomb.

We would be in wonderful shape if he got the surgery 3 years ago and he'd be lights out. He is so good even without the consistent velocity it makes me wonder how damn good he could have been.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
This team that Gary Sanchize plays for is, like, 3.5 games out of he second WC spot.

And Fatso tells a caller yesterday they're not in a playoff race.

Reaction Score
This is surreal. Yanks dump some dead weight and make deals for long-term success and a month later with decent starting pitching a bullpen that is not flashy is what it was before is still solid and some torrid hitting lead by Mr. Sanchez and they are now 2 1/2 games from the wildcard. My only fears is that management gets delusions of grandeur and try and buy their way back into the playoffs. Let the kids learn this year (and next) and then fill in the holes with a few key FA acquisitions or trades for a solid 2018 and 2019 season. Hey, I would try and dump McCann now to a team that is desperate for some hitting and catching. Headley is trade bait to me also; but, they actually need him as infield depth this season is still a concern.

Reaction Score
Great 2 wins beating the defending champs on the road in extras, its been a long time since I have seen the Yankees win a close game like that.

Reaction Score
Great 2 wins beating the defending champs on the road in extras, its been a long time since I have seen the Yankees win a close game like that.

They're plucky and gritty :eek: aren't they?

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
After class tonight I get to my car and during the 30 minute drive home Joe G blows a lead and Didi and Chase get it back. Then I see on highlights that Brett Gardner makes another great catch to seal the win.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
...and now I just saw the Gary Sanchez block of a pitch with the bases loaded in the 9th. Sweet Jesus!!

Reaction Score
They sure are, living dangerously, now Betances can't be used for at least 2 days now.

Yeah he looked tired too. Bullpen has come up big as of late but I think they're in huge trouble. Austin killed that to right center.

Reaction Score
Still, its a fun, if stressful, team to watch. A lot better than the the product on the field before the sell-off. These kids want to play, not just cash a paycheck while trying to delay retirement as long as possible.

Reaction Score
Yeah he looked tired too. Bullpen has come up big as of late but I think they're in huge trouble. Austin killed that to right center.

Couldn't have predicted a sweep and a 3-0 shutout against the Jays, Mitchell-Severino-Clippard 1-2-3. Amazing, can't have a letdown vs Tampa.

jho

Reaction Score
On August 1st, I took consolation that football season was right around the corner. Now, I'm starting to believe that this team may have a shot. If nothing else, the last five weeks have given the kids a chance to play meaningful games in the middle of a pennant race. You have to think that will accelerate their development.

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
On August 1st, I took consolation that football season was right around the corner. Now, I'm starting to believe that this team may have a shot. If nothing else, the last five weeks have given the kids a chance to play meaningful games in the middle of a pennant race. You have to think that will accelerate their development.
I go into the woods this Sunday and will come out the following Sunday. Historically when I do these trips I am pleasantly surprised when I look at the baseball standings upon my exit (incommunicado except for my SPOT messenger). I just wonder if this is not going to set up some unrealistic expectations next year. But boy, this little "hey we know how to play too," episode is rather nice, gives me hope that #firecashman really has a plan.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom