The Official 2016 NY Yankees Thread | Page 9 | The Boneyard

The Official 2016 NY Yankees Thread

Reaction Score
Severino needs to develop a 3rd pitch or else he will never be a successful starter, teams have figured him out. This team just finds different ways to lose spot the Sox a big inning, get to Kimbrel in the 9th and still can't pull it out, kudos to Matt Barnes for throwing strikes something Kimbrel couldn't do, if only the Yankees could have kept it within a run instead of being down 5-2 but this team still would have found a way to come up short down by a run because thats just who they are, the anti clutch team.

Reaction Score
Severino needs to develop a 3rd pitch or else he will never be a successful starter, teams have figured him out. This team just finds different ways to lose spot the Sox a big inning, get to Kimbrel in the 9th and still can't pull it out, kudos to Matt Barnes for throwing strikes something Kimbrel couldn't do, if only the Yankees could have kept it within a run instead of being down 5-2 but this team still would have found a way to come up short down by a run because thats just who they are, the anti clutch team.

Liked much of what I saw from Severino a lot there to work with. Problem is you're right he needs another go-to pitch and he also needs to smarter than his catchers. I mean that fastball which Sanchez lined up on the outside for with Pedey who wanted it there was just stupidity (double down the RF line). Keep coming inside he didn't catch up to the heat inside when he fouled it off, stay there.

Reaction Score
Nice farewell game for A-rod. Glad he got that big hit in the first. I thought the reception he got from his teammates when they pulled him seemed genuinely heartfelt. Whatever we as fans might think about the guy, and he's not my favorite, it was obvious that his teammates loved him. I thought his post game comments, where he owned up to having let people down, was well played. The look on Alex's face at the end, when the fans were giving him the standing ovation, made you think that it was the type of adulation he'd always sought and never received.

Another nice win for the Yankees. Seems to be a different vibe on the team since they've brought some of the younger guys up and am letting them play. Gives one hope for the future. Another thought was that we're going to miss Tex's glove at first. We've been spoiled with him these past years.

Reaction Score
Rumor is that Judge, Austin and Sanchez are all in the lineup today in NY. The next era has officially begun. Hope it can be half as successful as the last core, and that this first wave is WAY more successful than the first wave of the last rebuild that preceded Jeter, Andy, Bernie, Posada and Mo - Matt Nokes, Oscar Azocar, Kevin Maas, and Jim Leyritz. Out of all those, you got one part-timer. A major contributing, clutch WS homer run hitting part timer, mind you.

Reaction Score
Rumor is that Judge, Austin and Sanchez are all in the lineup today in NY. The next era has officially begun. Hope it can be half as successful as the last core, and that this first wave is WAY more successful than the first wave of the last rebuild that preceded Jeter, Andy, Bernie, Posada and Mo - Matt Nokes, Oscar Azocar, Kevin Maas, and Jim Leyritz. Out of all those, you got one part-timer. A major contributing, clutch WS homer run hitting part timer, mind you.

My favorite, and only, memory of Matt Nokes.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Austin and Judge both hitting homers back to back in their first major league at bat?!? Unreal!
According to Elias, it is the first time in history two players hit there first career home runs in consecutive at bats.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Relentless...

93359b1607cfd56a8be1ece4ab623ab1

Reaction Score
I was watching some of today's pre-game show where they introduced Mariano's plaque in Monument Park and it made me think about whether the Yankees will honor A-rod in this manner. He had over 350 home runs as a Yankee and was a huge contributor to the 2009 championship. My initial thought was that it would never happen, but the fans' positive reaction to him during his last game makes me wonder if the team would actually do it.

Reaction Score
Austin and Judge both hitting homers back to back in their first major league at bat?!? Unreal!
Indeed. That was crazy. Just for good measure, after Austin's first HR squeaked over the wall, Judge put a hurtin' on his ball, just for good measure. Almost cleared the restauarant in center field. Crushed.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Indeed. That was crazy. Just for good measure, after Austin's first HR squeaked over the wall, Judge put a hurtin' on his ball, just for good measure. Almost cleared the restauarant in center field. Crushed.
Next day Judge just gets one over the RF wall. You can see he is gauging the yard dimensions. He may hit 50 in the future.

Reaction Score

And he has a rifle in the OF to boot.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
After "blowing up" the bullpen and jettisoning Carlos Beltran and telling ARod to hot the bricks...

the new, plucky Yankees are 5.5 games out of first in the AL East and 4.5 games out of the WC chase. 7-3 in last 10.

Man, ya just gotta believe!!!

Reaction Score
Bad news coming from ESPN, looks like Eovaldi is done for at least a season and a half if not permanent after tearing his UCL for the second time and will be facing Tommy John #2. Best wishes to him.

The Yankees pitching staff took another big hit today when Nathan Eovaldi announced he had torn the flexor tendon in his pitching elbow "away from the bone" as well as partially tearing his UCL. He will undergo two elbow surgeries, including Tommy John, which he already underwent as a 17-year-old HS pitcher in Alvin, TX. Eovaldi said the recovery for a second TJS is 14-18 months, meaning his Yankees career is likely over.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I wonder if the bullpen maneuver him up.

Reaction Score
I wonder if the bullpen maneuver him up.

I think it was more throwing it as hard as he could with every pitch. I doubt the short stint in the bullpen would cause the flexor tendon to be torn clean from the bone.

Reaction Score
You'll have to give us a scouting report! I love going to MiLB games. You can see the players who have potential and how much they separate themselves from the career minor leaguers or roster fillers.
Will do! Going to tomorrow's Scranton game. While Judge, Sanchez and Austin won't be there, I'm excited to see Fraizer live. Tyler Webb is getting the start, which is interesting, because I thought he is a reliever, but we all know the Yankees are in need of relievers who can go for more than one inning.

Reaction Score
I had a great time at the game. If you ever get a chance to go PNC field, it's worth it.

It was a 9-3 loss. Webb pitched like crap but Frazier had a very good game. 2-4 with two singles, a run and a walk. Overall, he seems very comfortable at the plate and in the field. Long at bats and while his hits were singles, his power was evident in an opposite field foul ball that was just a few feet from being a home run.

To me, what was most impressive was his arm strength. He made 150 foot throws look easy and accurate. Highlight of the game was when he through out Christian Vazquez at home from RF. I definitely saw why he's considered a blue chip.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Frazier definitely has "corner OF" pedigree. Love the report! Thanks for sending!

Reaction Score
Frazier definitely has "corner OF" pedigree. Love the report! Thanks for sending!

This what I could find on the current high-end existing contracts that the Yankees have. Insane that this team is going to be run by 5 or 6 guys who combined make less that Ellsbury by several multiples.
  1. Castro: $7 million in 2016, escalates to $16 million in 2020 when it expires
  2. Ellsbury: $21 million, expires in 2021
  3. Gardner: $13 million, expires in 2019
  4. Headley: $13 million, expires in 2018
  5. McCann: $17 million, expires in 2019
  6. CC: $25 million, expires in 2017 (buy-out of $5 million)
  7. Tanaka: $22 million, expires 2020
I would not be surprised if the Yanks buy-out CC if he does not retire first in 2017. I definitely see McCann being traded if a team is willing to take on his contract as today and tomorrow belong to Sanchez. I like both Garnder and Headley and their contracts are not that insane and I can see them sticking through to the end of their contracts as long as they are not blocking the talent pipeline. Castro's contact is back-heavy, could also be trade bait if he is willing to renegotiate his contract with the new team to make it easier to swallow. Through not a true #1 starter, the Yanks need Tanaka at this time. That leaves Ellsbury, who I would like to see sent away as he has a hug contract for a decent fielder and somewhat above average hitter who has injury issues; but, is contract is a beast.

Reaction Score
Texierra on 2nd base and Hicks gets a hit in a 1-0 deficit game and he can't score, didn't even think about it and it wasn't hit that hard. Can't have these guys on the team or playing. Gardner on 1st base with Ellsbury up he won't run, he never runs what good is he and a guy who can run but doesn't and hits only .257 needs to go. McCann, well he's just done get him out of there. Can't hit, can't run and can't catch - you have your 2 catchers for next year all is good, pay for someone to take him. Headley too, syanara - These 4 guys can't be in the roster next year at all .... please?

Reaction Score
Seems pretty likely that at least McCann and either Gardner or Ellsbury will be gone by next year. They don't really have anyone to take over at 3B without forcing someone out of position. Closest guy is Miguel Andujar down in AA. Headley has actually been pretty decent for the better part of this year, but has regressed in August.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
McCann will go to the first reasonable offer from a team he won't veto (Atlanta?) and at this point they'll trade Gardner for a bag of balls.

I would consider giving Castro a shot at third and putting Mateo at second next spring.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom