The Next Head Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This is one of the things I like about Lembo:

2011: 25.3 points scored per game - first year coaching Ball State
2012: 35.0 ppg
2013: 39.0 ppg so far

And he's doing that with the types of players we can get. He should definitely be on the list.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
scott frost! i want someone who knows how to run the oregon offense. question is could he recruit the caliber of players needed for that offense to uconn? i would also be ecstatic with the oc from baylor, dam it i just want to watch a competent offense. not that he would come here, but richit would be my n.1 if he's fired.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
He sounds like the Caleb Porter of college football. Porter took a moderately successful Akron soccer program and turned them into national champions by developing a specific system and then finding players who would buy into and fit the system. Porter has done the same thing in his first year with the Portland Timbers. After their first two years struggling in MLS with no real identity, this year the Timbers have become one of the league's best teams.

Reaction Score
scott frost! i want someone who knows how to run the oregon offense. question is could he recruit the caliber of players needed for that offense to uconn? i would also be ecstatic with the oc from baylor, dam it i just want to watch a competent offense. not that he would come here, but richit would be my n.1 if he's fired.

There is a 0% chance that Scott Frost even looks at UCONN. He is going to be a bcs coach, And everything points to him taking over for Bo Pelini at Nebraska.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
He sounds like the Caleb Porter of college football. Porter took a moderately successful Akron soccer program and turned them into national champions by developing a specific system and then finding players who would buy into and fit the system. Porter has done the same thing in his first year with the Portland Timbers. After their first two years struggling in MLS with no real identity, this year the Timbers have become one of the league's best teams.

I think we were all thinking that.

Reaction Score
Lots of reasons I love Lembo for this job. Many are outlined in the USA Today interview, his teams score points, they beat P5 programs, they always compete, but I think the most important for where UConn needs to be is that he takes programs that have fewer resources and lesser players and he gets every ounce of ability out of those guys. I could see him coming in here and getting a kid like Boyle to play at a very high level or a kid like Samra to play like an All-American. They would be absolutely well prepared for teams like Michigan. My worry with the guy is that Iowa or somebody will snatch him up. and I tend to agree with the people who think Warde will want a P5 coordinator. I think he is infatuated with famous coaches and won't get past the idea that some offensive coordinator sat next to a famous coach so he must be brilliant.

Reaction Score
I believe we have some young players on offense with the physical tools to get things done in a variety of systems. That could be a positive factor behind $ to generate interest in the job. We just need the blockers to make it work.

Reaction Score

That was good read. Liked how this guy adjusts his game planning based on the talent on hand and his recruiting approach based on the limitations at the particular school. Really impressed here. Maybe just the guy we need.

I'm on the Dave Clawson bandwagon. I wonder if Warde reads those types of pieces or if someone on his staff is responsible for forwarding those types of articles to him.

Reaction Score
I wonder what the etiquette is on talking to these guys before the season ends.

Reaction Score

That's one of the places that a "consultant/search firm" comes into play... covert ops. Just needs to be managed better than JH did.

Reaction Score

There generally is no direct contact with the coach until the regular season has ended. Backchannel communications with potential targets agents and others around them is definitely happening.

The key to a successful search is to not let it be a circus. Before you go through the process of interviewing a candidate you need to be fairly certain that he will accept the job is offered. The last thing UCONN needs is to be publically turned down by 2, 3, 4 coaches before we hire someone. This will only make this look like a job no one wants and confirm what many outsiders already think about UCONN football

Reaction Score
You also want to do some homework on the guy you're targeting...Just ask Pitt what happens when you don't and later find out he beats his wife...

Reaction Score
That's one of the places that a "consultant/search firm" comes into play... covert ops. Just needs to be managed better than JH did.

Would it be bad etiquette to contact the coach's agent to gauge interest? Not saying you want to directly reach out to the coach himself, but most of those guys have agents, which I would think would make a "search firm" unnecessary.

Reaction Score
You also want to do some homework on the guy you're targeting...Just ask Pitt what happens when you don't and later find out he beats his wife...

That's a tough one. How do you find that type of stuff out? Interview wives? Hire a PI to bug their house? Most DV cases like that are hidden from even the closest family and friends. And I don't think it was his wife, I think it was his son's mom and they weren't together which makes it worse/harder to know about as it could have been an isolated incident.

Reaction Score
That's a tough one. How do you find that type of stuff out? Interview wives? Hire a PI to bug their house? Most DV cases like that are hidden from even the closest family and friends. And I don't think it was his wife, I think it was his son's mom and they weren't together which makes it worse/harder to know about as it could have been an isolated incident.

You hire a search firm...

WM has used Parker Executive previously. http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2011/12/05/In-Depth/Lead.aspx

Not thinking they will use Neinas Sports Services again.

Reaction Score
You still have to be careful. Rutgers used Parker for their AD search & later blamed them for not vetting her when the abuse issues came out after her hiring

Yeah - they found out about the two lawsuits and passed that along with the other background data but no one raised the "volleyball issue" in all the interviews they conducted. No doubt you are @ risk no matter how you conduct a search but search firms usually have deeper reach than an AD conducting his own search and background check.

Reaction Score

Now that's the kind of profile we need - somebody that understands recruiting. Figuring out what you've got to sell that's special and unique, who and where you need to sell it, and then closing the deal on enough players every year.

The only problem with this guy, is that he's never recruited to play at the level of competition we are at. We need to be able to recruit, so that when we get a schedule like we've had this year - we are 6-0 at this point, and not 0-6.

Would be interesting to know what kind of plan he'd come up with, to recruit at UCONN.

Reaction Score
Would it be bad etiquette to contact the coach's agent to gauge interest? Not saying you want to directly reach out to the coach himself, but most of those guys have agents, which I would think would make a "search firm" unnecessary.

Some insight on hiring a new head coach, well, at least as it applies to Miami-Ohio:

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/...5/MU-won-t-wait-coach?gcheck=1&nclick_check=1

>>Sayler is working with deputy athletic director Mark Rountree and the search firm Collegiate Sports Associates to identify and vet candidates.

They’re being separated into five categories – sitting head coaches at Football Bowl Subdivision or Football Championship Division (the old Division I and I-A); assistant coaches at FBS schools; assistant coaches in the NFL; coaches at Division II or below; and coaches currently out of the field.

“Within each category we’re doing our own ranking system to get the best of each group, and then visit with them,” Sayler said.

Sayler said he wants to begin formal interviews in short order, which he acknowledged can be more complicated in season. “That’s going to come down to the candidates’ comfort level with where they are and their relationship to their boss,” he said. “We’re going to do all we can to make it happen that quickly.

“If a candidate is not able to (interview immediately) because of their boss, then that’s a decision we’ll have to make, whether we just move on or wait for that person. That depends on where they are on that list.”<<

Reaction Score
This is one of the things I like about Lembo:

2011: 25.3 points scored per game - first year coaching Ball State
2012: 35.0 ppg
2013: 39.0 ppg so far

And he's doing that with the types of players we can get. He should definitely be on the list.
is he doing that against teams we'll be playing?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Some insight on hiring a new head coach, well, at least as it applies to Miami-Ohio:

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/...5/MU-won-t-wait-coach?gcheck=1&nclick_check=1

>>Sayler is working with deputy athletic director Mark Rountree and the search firm Collegiate Sports Associates to identify and vet candidates.

They’re being separated into five categories – sitting head coaches at Football Bowl Subdivision or Football Championship Division (the old Division I and I-A); assistant coaches at FBS schools; assistant coaches in the NFL; coaches at Division II or below; and coaches currently out of the field.

“Within each category we’re doing our own ranking system to get the best of each group, and then visit with them,” Sayler said.

Sayler said he wants to begin formal interviews in short order, which he acknowledged can be more complicated in season. “That’s going to come down to the candidates’ comfort level with where they are and their relationship to their boss,” he said. “We’re going to do all we can to make it happen that quickly.

“If a candidate is not able to (interview immediately) because of their boss, then that’s a decision we’ll have to make, whether we just move on or wait for that person. That depends on where they are on that list.”<<

Honestly, this seems like a poor way to go about it.

I would think you'd prioritize individuals on whom you have some referrals. The are guys who everyone knows are sure things. All UConn needs to do is ID one a few years before everyone else.

I go back to the Bill O'Brien hire at PSU. You could use Tressel, Meyer, even Rich Rod before there first big job. No one had heard of these guys, yet when you hear about their selection, they all sound the same. Some version of " I knew he'd be a great HC."

The same thing happened when Calhoun was picked. Bobby Knight said the same thing. A guy like Lew Perkins or Jon Toner knew the circuit and can ID candidates.

Using a search firm will get you unsolicited resumes pushed on you by a firm with an interest in making a hire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom