The Next Head Coach | Page 14 | The Boneyard

The Next Head Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Clean house, top to bottom. Pruitt's D looks dominating against NC State right now and shut down Clemson's O when they were on a roll. Hell of a recruiter too. $2.5M-$3M/yr should get his attention. Pat Narduzzi, Michigan St DC is another D guy I like.

If you want to go uptempo offense, Phillip Montgomery OC Baylor is a good option. He'd need to bring in a top DC because Hughes' soft D will not compliment a fast offense. Robert Anae, OC at BYU has engineered the nation's fastest offense (and very efficient). Perhaps an interesting under-the-radar type of coach should we strike out going after the creme de la creme (not saying Anae wouldn't be a good candidate though!).

Reaction Score
Colin Cowherd@ESPN_Colin
Before UConn gets destroyed by Michigan lets throw this out there---Eric Mangini--next UConn HC. Homeboy.

This is a month old, but I don't think it was posted here. I gotta admit i'm intrigued by Mangini and think he should get an interview.

On the upside he could be a Bill O'Brien/Saban on the downside he could be Charlie Weiss. He definitely would generate a lot of publicity for the program. Having coached for the Jets and Pats will be a huge plus on recruiting trips in the Northeast and wearing a Super Bowl ring doesn't hurt recruiting.

Hopefully working with Jim Harbaugh helps him become a better coach; the guy has definitely worked with the best.

There's also an article on rivals titled "coaching search update" and Eric Mangini was on the front page... I'm not a subscriber so I wasn't able to read it.

Reaction Score
There's also an article on rivals titled "coaching search update" and Eric Mangini was on the front page... I'm not a subscriber so I wasn't able to read it.

It essentially says the "writer" has heard after talking to industry people that it's likely that UConn will hire a name brand as opposed to an up and comer and that one names that fits the bill is Mangini - followed by a sentence along the same lines as this from above...

UConnReport
1:40pm via Web
Hearing from a source that Eric Mangini would listen if #UConn reached out to him about the job

Nothing earthshattering.

Reaction Score
It essentially says the "writer" has heard after talking to industry people that it's likely that UConn will hire a name brand as opposed to an up and comer and that one names that fits the bill is Mangini - followed by a sentence along the same lines as this from above...

UConnReport
1:40pm via Web
Hearing from a source that Eric Mangini would listen if #UConn reached out to him about the job

Nothing earthshattering.

What you think about Mangini medic?

Reaction Score
It's time to completely clean house. We haven't been remotely competitive on the road this year. Emotionally we are on the bus back to the hotel before halftime.

Today was some of the worst UConn football I have ever seen. This season can not be over soon enough. Hank Hughes is proving very quickly that Randy Edsall was right, and Mike Foley is proving that he cannot teach an OL to pass protect, - we get beat over, and over, by simple DE / DT stunts. Defensive backs? I have an attachment to that position group, and I cannot believe how bad they've gotten in the past month. Lyle McCombs - a guy with the speed we need to compete, doesn't get caught from behind on that run early - and certainly, doesn't flex his arms on the sidelines like he did something important after being tackled from behind, and it's the first quarter, and your team is 0-6. Oh good god, I'm going to the bar.

I do think, that UCONN is a desireable place to be for a coaching staff. We need powerful forces to make that known in the process though. We have a fan base, that is just waiting to be tapped by a winner. THe support for a top 25 football program at UCONN - I've always believed would be absolutely incredible. We have 25 years of basketball success in the brand, to bank that.

Reaction Score
Now that we know it's not going to be TJ probably a good idea to pin this baby.

Reaction Score
Clean house, top to bottom. Pruitt's D looks dominating against NC State right now and shut down Clemson's O when they were on a roll. Hell of a recruiter too. $2.5M-$3M/yr should get his attention. Pat Narduzzi, Michigan St DC is another D guy I like.

If you want to go uptempo offense, Phillip Montgomery OC Baylor is a good option. He'd need to bring in a top DC because Hughes' soft D will not compliment a fast offense. Robert Anae, OC at BYU has engineered the nation's fastest offense (and very efficient). Perhaps an interesting under-the-radar type of coach should we strike out going after the creme de la creme (not saying Anae wouldn't be a good candidate though!).

Like this list a lot. Don't see UConn paying $3 million -- $2.5 the limit -- Anae would be interesting. Also would help for matchup at Rent next season. There is going to be a next season BTW

Reaction Score
Smart defensive football mind from a great coaching tree but a NFL re-thread w/ zero college coaching/recruiting experience which scares me. Not the best choice - not the worse choice.

Agreed. I have great respect for Coach Mangini as he appears to live and breath football. He has a great knowledge of the game. What concerns me is that he has zero experience with recruiting. That is a big part of coaching at the college level. Can he evaluate high school players? It is tough at UCONN because you don't get your pick of 4 or 5 star players. You have to be able to be able to evaluate the 2 and 3 star players and separate the gold from the garbage. Randy Edsall did a very good job with this.

I do think his coaching personality is better suited for the college game, then the pro game.

Reaction Score
Smart defensive football mind from a great coaching tree but a NFL re-thread w/ zero college coaching/recruiting experience which scares me. Not the best choice - not the worse choice.

I guess the whole zero college experience scares me too. The recruiting part I think metsfan hit it on the money "He definitely would generate a lot of publicity for the program. Having coached for the Jets and Pats will be a huge plus on recruiting trips in the Northeast and wearing a Super Bowl ring doesn't hurt recruiting." It'll be interesting and exciting to see who Warde decides to go with.

Reaction Score
Yeah, Charlie Weis used his rings as a recruiting tool too. Didn't work out so well. Mangini? I don't freaking think so. He is not Pete Carroll.

I agree with you on Charlie Weis not being able to produce on the field, but your wrong about recruiting, Wies did very well recruiting in the college realm.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Like this list a lot. Don't see UConn paying $3 million -- $2.5 the limit -- Anae would be interesting. Also would help for matchup at Rent next season. There is going to be a next season BTW

UConn has 2.5 million in your wettest dreams.

Reaction Score
UConn is fully aware that this is a critical time and will spend whatever it takes to get the "right" coach in order to protect/enhance its investment. Given where UConn is located, the ability to recruit in key markets (FL, TX, PA, OH, NJ) will be a key factor, along with the proven ability to up-skill players to the next level (given the likelihood of having a steady diet of mostly 2/3 star recruits) and market the program...it is assumed they will be part of winning programs and have exhibited an ability to make game day adjustments.

Reaction Score
I have heard Manuel will not be handcuffed by a salary cap...that he can hire the guy he deems best fit for the program. They won't be spendig $5 million but $2-$3 million for the right guy isn't out of the question. Asst coaching pool will be raised as well. Now does this mean we will pay that...probably not...salary will be between $2-$2.5 million.

Reaction Score
We do have $30 million from the sale of the "Big East Conference" name, if I am recalling correctly. The money is there for a splash hire. And enough money to get a coach to stay for a while. Tuberville left Texas Tech for freaking Cincinnati. I am sure Cincinnati is preferable to live in than Lubbock, though.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I have heard Manuel will not be handcuffed by a salary cap...that he can hire the guy he deems best fit for the program. They won't be spendig $5 million but $2-$3 million for the right guy isn't out of the question. Asst coaching pool will be raised as well. Now does this mean we will pay that...probably not...salary will be between $2-$2.5 million.

And where did you hear that?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
We do have $30 million from the sale of the "Big East Conference" name, if I am recalling correctly. They money is there for a splash hire. And enough money to get a coach to stay for a while. Tuberville left Texas Tech for freaking Cincinnati. I am sure Cincinnati is preferable to live in than Lubbock, though.

Ok upstater sure we do. And he 'left' Texas Tech. Come on.

Reaction Score
We do have $30 million from the sale of the "Big East Conference" name, if I am recalling correctly. The money is there for a splash hire. And enough money to get a coach to stay for a while. Tuberville left Texas Tech for freaking Cincinnati. I am sure Cincinnati is preferable to live in than Lubbock, though.

The Tuberville move was also based on family...his wife is from that area. Do you want to be in Lubbock or in CINCY with family.? Same lure for Urban meyer....the right situation moved him back to his family (& wife's family in Ohio).

BY the way....did anybody notice that Ball State in the MAc (Pete Lembo) won again.? Lembo is a HC worth looking at. .....and to all of you thinking 2.5MM in salary...we won't have to go near that number.
Lembo is at $350k base. Next HC will have a base of 1 to 1.5MM to get us out of this nightmare....whether it is Lembo, Moorehead, Ambrose or Clausen from Bowling Green.
Rest assured, it won't be a Mangini type that a few posts have mentioned. .....AND to all of you thinking that we need to wait until the end of the season...YOU ARE WRONG!!!! It already started. Trust me on that....every HC in DIV III, DIV 2, , the MAc kn0w the job is there...anf that is why there are agents and coaching changes that take place b4 bowl games even take place.

Reaction Score

You are flat out wrong!!!! UCONN has the OK to pay whatever it takes to appease the Big 10 AD's and presidents. It basically buys their votes for a UCONN invite, so expect $3 mil or more for a Coley, Smart, Anae. I still think UCONN's next coach might come from the Big 10, might be the DC at Mich State, but Coley and Smart would also bring an invite. Lots going on right now behind the scenes, the Big 10 likes Herbst and her efforts at increasing UCONN's endowment, a commitment to joining the AAU within the next 2 years, UCONN's choice of Warde for AD, and it's academics. The Big 10 wants the New England market, they feel they can bury BC and grab the Boston market and all points north and east of NYC. They also want another big time hockey school. UCONN's next coach and a Big Ten invite is a package. When you consider what the state gets for being a Big Ten member, $3 mil or even $4 mil for a new coach is cheap. They will pay it because it buys them into the Big Ten.

Reaction Score
I must say, the collection of potential coaching candidates we've been talking about this year is way more interesting than names being thrown out last time. I know options were EXTREMELY limited previously due to timing but I'd be happy with any of the guys spoken about this year (except Mangini).

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
One guy I don't see mentioned here: Tom Bradley. Yes, he's in late 50s. But at least UConn would have a defense. And he can recruit in PA/Ohio/MD and has major program credibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom