The next four games are a true test of Hurley"s abilities | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The next four games are a true test of Hurley"s abilities

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
this is fair and reasonable. People forget that before he came to UConn, he had exactly one win versus a top 25 team and that was in November against Seton Hall. He's never won anything meaningful...and he apparently hasn't matured as a person or improved much in terms of in-game strategy. IF they finish below .500 in conference, lose in first round of the BE and fail to make NCAAs (all very possible), the non-fanatic fan base will turn on him like many here have. And the returning talent next year is pretty abysmal, so he'll need to then go into the portal...Then let's see how everyone feels about his recruiting when there are no point guards on the roster and he misses out on all the New England talent.

the set-up for success for Hurley is not good right now
Back to the other board

Reaction Score
Hurley can’t shoot the ball for Polley or Hawkins. He also can’t pass out of the post for Sanogo.
Over the last two games Polley and Hawkins have shot a combined 4 for 25. That is 16 % from the floor and yet we have a number of fans here blaming Hurley for team recent performances. Hurley's not the one shooting at an abysmal clip. Polley is not and never will never be a consistent scorer and I'm beginning to have strong doubts about Hawkins. He has no handle and has trouble just holding on to the ball. Basically his only strength seems to be the ability to hit wide open shots and unfortunately he has not proven he can do that consistently.

We have a dire need for outside shooting other than Cole and Martin. They can't be expected to play 35 plus minutes a game.

Reaction Score
Hawkins, Jackson, Johnson

Like draft express is literally tweeting about Hawkins and Jackson at this very moment

Not one of them would get drafted rn. Andre doesn’t have basketball skills, Hawkins hasn’t been good enough to start for a team that desperately needs shooters. And Johnson is a big prospect who has struggled to break into meaningful minutes. They might turn into NBA prospects but that’s a huge leap from where all three are rn.

Reaction Score
Not one of them would get drafted rn. Andre doesn’t have basketball skills, Hawkins hasn’t been good enough to start for a team that desperately needs shooters. And Johnson is a big prospect who has struggled to break into meaningful minutes. They might turn into NBA prospects but that’s a huge leap from where all three are rn.
He said NBA talent. Not NBA ready

Reaction Score
OK. Same answer. What makes anyone think that any of them has NBA talent?
For one thing the fact they've both been showing up on 2023 mock drafts. For another, the post you responded to about how NBA scouts who are much smarter than me were at today's game to watch them

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Over the last two games Polley and Hawkins have shot a combined 4 for 25. That is 16 % from the floor and yet we have a number of fans here blaming Hurley for team recent performances. Hurley's not the one shooting at an abysmal clip. Polley is not and never will never be a consistent scorer and I'm beginning to have strong doubts about Hawkins. He has no handle and has trouble just holding on to the ball. Basically his only strength seems to be the ability to hit wide open shots and unfortunately he has not proven he can do that consistently.

We have a dire need for outside shooting other than Cole and Martin. They can't be expected to play 35 plus minutes a game.
Lucas Till Riley GIF by CBS

If you can't see the potential in Hawkins, then there's no hope for you. He's a freshman who shouldn't have the same level of scrutiny as Polley should. Come back to him at this point next year and we can see if he's improved or not. Sanogo and Jackson have improved dramatically in two years. No reason Hawkins won't

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
NBA talent is different than NBA ready. Maybe it should be NBA potential so there isn't any confusion

Good observation. You're agreeing with a majority of the board

Reaction Score

Combine that with the fact that Sanogo has been awful, and the truly amazing thing is we easily could have won both games, just as easily as we could have lost them both.

If no one off the bench can hit shots, and two of our starters aren't going to score, there is only so good this team can be. Credit IW with chipping in much needed points today. But am I the only one who wanted to drive to MSG and punch Jackson in the throat when he passed up a wide open layup to kick the ball to the corner?

Reaction Score
Combine that with the fact that Sanogo has been awful, and the truly amazing thing is we easily could have won both games, just as easily as we could have lost them both.

If no one off the bench can hit shots, and two of our starters aren't going to score, there is only so good this team can be. Credit IW with chipping in much needed points today. But am I the only one who wanted to drive to MSG and punch Jackson in the throat when he passed up a wide open layup to kick the ball to the corner?
If we just had Providence's luck.......

Reaction Score
“I say dumb shi*?” You’re the clown that was defending Ollie for using the race card. Piss off loser.
Telling the world that I'm a "dumb ___" for not thinking black Americans are out of line for not assuming that white Americans don't see race when dealing with them tells the world everything we need to know about your character. Thank you for putting the exclamation point on the conversation.

Reaction Score
Lucas Till Riley GIF by CBS

If you can't see the potential in Hawkins, then there's no hope for you. He's a freshman who shouldn't have the same level of scrutiny as Polley should. Come back to him at this point next year and we can see if he's improved or not. Sanogo and Jackson have improved dramatically in two years. No reason Hawkins won't
If you asked me to look at his potential 3 weeks ago, I'd have agreed with you. But, we have now played 24 games this year and he still has not shown any real improvement. What is the old saying that at this point in a season, there are no freshman any more. I root for him as much as anyone on the Yard, but I just don't see him being a consistent and reliable contributor at this point.

Reaction Score
Each of the next four games is a second game of a two games series. UConn lost three of these games and won the fourth on a miracle comeback.

What adjustments will Hurley make to change the outcomes? It's unlikely he changes the starting line up as he is loathe to do. Will he just run out the same game plans and hope home court advantage (three of four at are at home) is enough to win this time? He knows the opponent and the opponent knows him. Small wrinkles could have big effects. So buckle up. It's fair to say these next four games wil define the season.
February can go from bad to disaster over the next 4 games.

Reaction Score
I love these threads.

I mean whoever said Hurley beat 1 ranked team at URI must not have google access from their recess time at Cheshire Correctional.

I mean in reverse, beat OU and Trae Young in the NCAA, beat Seton Hall, beat a good Creighton team in the tourney, beat Mick Cronin's Cinci, beat Nebraska. Won an A-10 title and tournament too. URI sucks. He won there. Who is knocking that?

This whole season - there was one game that wasn't 50/50 and that was at Nova. Also the toughest game on the schedule (unless you count#5 Auburn on a neutral floor. We won that game).

Pretty sure we avenged that with a win against Nova at home.

We have 1 Q2 loss. Every other loss is Q1 and by two possessions or less. We didn't have Sanogo and lost to PC by 4.

If you have a problem with what Hurley's done at this point you're just miserable. Go root for Duke or the NBA if you can't appreciate the rebuild Hurley took on and where he's gotten us.

Reaction Score
Not only did Hurley pass the test but he has us clicking on all cylinders at the right time. I'm still nervous that we will go cold and throw up a stinker but it seems less likely than it did two weeks ago. He has Polley and Hawkins scoring and driving to the hoop, Gaffney contributing something, everyone playing great D and the offense is flowing much better. Feels a lot like when a Jim Calhoun team came together.

Btw, I'm a huge RJ Cole fan but I've been a little harsh on his natural PG abilities. I expected him to be a better distributor coming in last year. This kid has really refined his game. He is scoring at all levels, using the midrange beautifully and he's really begun to turn into much more of a natural looking PG. Everything about his game has gone up a notch in the last month.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Each of the next four games is a second game of a two games series. UConn lost three of these games and won the fourth on a miracle comeback.

What adjustments will Hurley make to change the outcomes? It's unlikely he changes the starting line up as he is loathe to do. Will he just run out the same game plans and hope home court advantage (three of four at are at home) is enough to win this time? He knows the opponent and the opponent knows him. Small wrinkles could have big effects. So buckle up. It's fair to say these next four games wil define the season.
You weren’t wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer