The next four games are a true test of Hurley"s abilities | The Boneyard

The next four games are a true test of Hurley"s abilities

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Each of the next four games is a second game of a two games series. UConn lost three of these games and won the fourth on a miracle comeback.

What adjustments will Hurley make to change the outcomes? It's unlikely he changes the starting line up as he is loathe to do. Will he just run out the same game plans and hope home court advantage (three of four at are at home) is enough to win this time? He knows the opponent and the opponent knows him. Small wrinkles could have big effects. So buckle up. It's fair to say these next four games wil define the season.

Reaction Score
I view the Marquette, Xavier, and St John’s games in one group of 3, and the Seton Hall, Xavier (home), and Nova games in a second group of 3. Go 2-1 in each of those groups of three is a success. Lose to St John’s and this week was a bust.

Reaction Score
I view the Marquette, Xavier, and St John’s games in one group of 3, and the Seton Hall, Xavier (home), and Nova games in a second group of 3. Go 2-1 in each of those groups of three is a success. Lose to St John’s and this week was a bust.
Seton Hall vs Nova today will tell me a lot about the Hall. I think they are better than what people think. They are better than Xavier, my opinion.

Reaction Score
Each of the next four games is a second game of a two games series. UConn lost three of these games and won the fourth on a miracle comeback.
You have it backwards. We were up comfortably in that St. John's game and they had the miracle comeback. We were 97% chance to win with 3 minutes left up 6. And then they bombed 3 3's in a row. And we still had a 40% chance to win on the last possession down 1 and then Sanogo missed the FT to win it at the end. And we dominated OT.

Reaction Score

What adjustments will Hurley make to change the outcomes? It's unlikely he changes the starting line up as he is loathe to do. Will he just run out the same game plans and hope home court advantage (three of four at are at home) is enough to win this time? He knows the opponent and the opponent knows him. Small wrinkles could have big effects. So buckle up. It's fair to say these next four games wil define the season.
No it is not.

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score
You have it backwards. We were up comfortably in that St. John's game and they had the miracle comeback. We were 97% chance to win with 3 minutes left up 6. And then they bombed 3 3's in a row. And we still had a 40% chance to win on the last possession down 1 and then Sanogo missed the FT to win it at the end. And we dominated OT.
Good context -- miracle comeback is not the right label, but we definitely stole one. We had no timeouts and needed that very fortunate deflection off a 3/4's court AJax pass with a few ticks on the clock to draw that foul at the end of regulation and tie it back up.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
We are almost 75% through year 4 of DH's tenure
Of course one would give him high marks for recruiting. His last name and the NBE opens doors that some coaches wouldn't/haven't had that luxury but still he has taken advantage of that and brought in some nice players - kudos to him.
What he does with that talent and his in game strategies are very much a growing concern.
He will continue to be the UConn basketball coach but as time goes on and there is no marked improvement in success (beating the top NBE teams, those with winning records, the close games, winning multiple NBE tournaments, advancing beyond the 1st weekend in the NCAAs) I see many fans looking for a change. There are quite a few coaches who will do so at that $2million plus per year price tag.
No more crap about him just starting out as a coach at a high level, etc. He was brought here to win and to quote AD David Benedict at the Rent in April 2018 when he introduced DH to the UConn Club and invited contributors, he hired DH to turn the program around and return to one of the top programs in the country in the immediate future. Five years is the immediate future. The clock is ticking.

Reaction Score
Good context -- miracle comeback is not the right label, but we definitely stole one. We had no timeouts and needed that very fortunate deflection off a 3/4's court AJax pass with a few ticks on the clock to draw that foul at the end of regulation and tie it back up.
Yeah we had 1 fortunate thing happen for us and they had 4 or 5 fortunate things for them (them making 4/5 3s at the end of the game and Sanogo missing 2 FTs in last minute). On balance, we should have won comfortably and it was only close because they were fortunate.

Reaction Score
Yeah we had 1 fortunate thing happen for us and they had 4 or 5 fortunate things for them (them making 4/5 3s at the end of the game and Sanogo missing 2 FTs in last minute). On balance, we should have won comfortably and it was only close because they were fortunate.

No difference in the Marquette game. Yet another pattern of our Huskies who are somehow allergic to leads.

Reaction Score
We are almost 75% through year 4 of DH's tenure
Of course one would give him high marks for recruiting. His last name and the NBE opens doors that some coaches wouldn't/haven't had that luxury but still he has taken advantage of that and brought in some nice players - kudos to him.
What he does with that talent and his in game strategies are very much a growing concern.
He will continue to be the UConn basketball coach but as time goes on and there is no marked improvement in success (beating the top NBE teams, those with winning records, the close games, winning multiple NBE tournaments, advancing beyond the 1st weekend in the NCAAs) I see many fans looking for a change. There are quite a few coaches who will do so at that $2million plus per year price tag.
No more crap about him just starting out as a coach at a high level, etc. He was brought here to win and to quote AD David Benedict at the Rent in April 2018 when he introduced DH to the UConn Club and invited contributors, he hired DH to turn the program around and return to one of the top programs in the country in the immediate future. Five years is the immediate future. The clock is ticking.
Posts like this confuse me. Do most fans really believe that this UConn team is that talented? It’s a solid, hard-nosed group but we just lost a lottery pick game-changing talent and are still likely going to win 20+ games in a top conference.

DH has his flaws but roster construction and in-game coaching are bigger ones than underachieving relative to talent IMO

Reaction Score
Why is it always about Hurley and not the team too? Every game is a test for both the coaches and the players.
These are all his players (Whaley and Polley to a lesser extent). He built this team around his plan/goals and strategic play.

If he inherited another coach's team then the players could be charged, but I see this as the team Hurley built. He built it (I hope) with the Big East conference in mind.

So yes the players have some accountability but they are still his players which he controls, directs, influences, develops, etc.. However its mostly about our head coach when it comes to his teams' performance.

My big issue is that this team does not need a cheerleader coach, but a leader coach who does not accept poor decisions, bad shot selection, shoddy/lazy defense and most importantly marginal play. This becomes evident in our late game failures. Our coach is not putting a foot up their butt or even challenging them to play better and smarter. Its as if the unacceptable play has become acceptable play. An example is careless turnovers result in Hurley shaking his head in frustration instead of pulling that player and getting in his ear about his mistakes and explaining how to correct them (in-game).

So does Martin disappearing in games become his fault or the coaches? Does AJ's continual unnecessary highlight passing a fault of AJ or the coaches? Does Sanogo continually failing to pass out of double teams, Sanogo's fault or the coaches? I could go on, but every game the same mistakes occur with no correction or improvement. Its frustrating and predictable when watching.

Reaction Score
We’ve been saying the next four games for the past ten games

1644697332592.gif

Reaction Score
These are all his players (Whaley and Polley to a lesser extent). He built this team around his plan/goals and strategic play.

If he inherited another coach's team then the players could be charged, but I see this as the team Hurley built. He built it (I hope) with the Big East conference in mind.

So yes the players have some accountability but they are still his players which he controls, directs, influences, develops, etc.. However its mostly about our head coach when it comes to his teams' performance.

My big issue is that this team does not need a cheerleader coach, but a leader coach who does not accept poor decisions, bad shot selection, shoddy/lazy defense and most importantly marginal play. This becomes evident in our late game failures. Our coach is not putting a foot up their butt or even challenging them to play better and smarter. Its as if the unacceptable play has become acceptable play. An example is careless turnovers result in Hurley shaking his head in frustration instead of pulling that player and getting in his ear about his mistakes and explaining how to correct them (in-game).

So does Martin disappearing in games become his fault or the coaches? Does AJ's continual unnecessary highlight passing a fault of AJ or the coaches? Does Sanogo continually failing to pass out of double teams, Sanogo's fault or the coaches? I could go on, but every game the same mistakes occur with no correction or improvement. Its frustrating and predictable when watching.
Too many assumptions about what our coach does and doesn't do or accept. Unless you are at practice, none of us know. Perhaps his demeanor during games, where you draw all your conclusions from, is completely different during practice. Also, while I have been as hard as anyone about Hurley's roster construction, he is not solely responsible for every bad moment or game an individual player has. Players for great coaches have bad games and stretches too. Bad games happen. He could do his best to recruit hard workers but he can't make every player work on his own time like Ray Allen. I doubt he knew 3 years ago when he recruited Gaffney that he would regress his junior year. Yes, Hurley is the captain of the ship and deserves criticism. Goes with the territory. With that said, these are college kids. The variance in their performance on a game to game basis is not 100% on the coach. He could do everything right and players could still come out flat or play lousy.

Reaction Score
I hate to lose too. Hurley's recruiting has been excellent and continues to trend upward. His won/loss percentage has improved every year. Looks like an NCAA Tournament bid for the second year in a row is on the way. The program was circling the toilet bowl when he got here. I have a hard time trashing Hurley's tenure at this point in time.

Reaction Score
I hate to lose too. Hurley's recruiting has been excellent and continues to trend upward. His won/loss percentage has improved every year. Looks like an NCAA Tournament bid for the second year in a row is on the way. The program was circling the toilet bowl when he got here. I have a hard time trashing Hurley's tenure at this point in time.
This is UConn, not Seton Hall. Just making the tournament isn’t the goal.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
How about a test of our players’ ability? That’’s sort of counts too. Could Calhoun or Dean Smith make Jackson a better shooter and decision maker or Polley or Hawkins more consistent or stop a 7’1” kid from causing Sanigo problems? None of us know if maybe one of those coaches has us losing twice to Marquette and getting crushed by Auburn but beating MSU and Providence. Maybe Hurley isn’t as screwed up as some think. No such thing as a perfect coach, totally consistent player and in our BE few inept opponents, and fewer critical fans who could coach a rec league middle school team. Hurley makes some choices that are fun to debate, but personally I think the lack of reliable shooters is the biggest issue and Cole has helped a lot to mask it at times. He’s reallly good.

This year outside of Nova we haven’t had a single game where we had no chance with less than a minute or two left. That includes some ranked teams. Maybe all ranked teams but I don’t recall. Hurley’s coaching has been tested all year.

Reaction Score
What about the last four games?
Go back and watch the last four games. Other than the Nova game, where he was badly outcoached, the other two losses weren't on Hurley. They both really were about a recipe of bad luck and extremely poor execution by our guys on only a few possessions. People on here make it out that we are being thoroughly out played. Thats not what is happening. Creighton had two really bizarre 3s(not on Hurley) and Xavier had the buzzer beater at halftime, a few lucky loose balls and our inability to score on multiple 3 on 1s. (not on Hurley)
This criticism of Hurley is bizarre to me. Its year four of taking a broken program and rebuilding it. He has the team ranked in the top 25, has a top 10 recruiting class, and is going to the tournament. Is that not progress? People on here are simply unrealistic.

Reaction Score
The reality is that he needs to start winning some tournament games. Just squeeking into the tournament on the bubble and losing in the first round like last year won’t cut it yearly. I have a bad feeling that history might repeat itself next month. Now certainly that’s a major upgrade from the nightly 30 point embarrassments that Kevin Ollie helmed but for me (and for all of you) that just shouldn’t cut it. I’m not sure why the fan base is so accepting of mediocrity. Basically this is what providence is the past decade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom